Home Forums Loneliness Working from home can be a lonely experience

Deleted User Posted 5 months ago
Working from home can be a lonely experience

Having spent the last year and a half essentially working from home I am definitely missing the companionship of the workplace. Voice and vide calls are all well and good, but they’re not the same.

How are you finding the working from home experience, and any tips to make it a generally less lonely endeavour.

6 likes & 29 replies
    • Colin in Kent 1st September 2021 at 3:40 pm

I absolutely love it. I know there are two sides of every argument, and I can see that for a lot of people, the social aspects are very important. I don’t miss commuting four hours a day, and I don’t miss seeing colleagues in person, even though they’re an amazing team and we all get on very well. We’re online constantly, messaging on Teams, and apart from the project group all our work is with people in China, India and the Middle East. I don’t really get lonely though, I’m happy with my music on in the background just getting on with things.

• Flowerful 1st September 2021 at 5:55 pm

I am back in the office a couple of days each week and love the mixture of home/office. When I am at home I try to go out for a walk either first thing or at lunch time, I find it helps ground me and blow away the cobwebs. Sometimes I have the radios on for company and others happy with the silence.

• Deleted User 1st September 2021 at 9:01 pm

I think I should play more music. Maybe time to bloe the dust of my turntable and play some old records.

• Flowerful 1st September 2021 at 9:12 pm

Yes music is good for the soul, sometimes gets you up and moving around and others therapeutic and calming.
          Just dug out some vinyl recently seems to be popular again, thinking I might look to sell them , local record dealer.

• Deleted User 1st September 2021 at 9:19 pm

Well with vinly I would have tog et up every half hour or so to swapt he records. That should keep me moving.

• Flowerful 1st September 2021 at 9:28 pm

Yes you would, just made me chuckle thanks! But good exercise and we are supposed to get up and move regularly though that doesn’t tend to happen for me!!

• Deleted User 1st September 2021 at 9:30 pm

Well its always good to chuckle. I will have to encourage you to get up and move around more 🙂

• The Animal Lady 1st September 2021 at 8:36 pm

I find my cat and dog help me. They will generally let me know when it is time to play or have a cuddle. Having a dog means you meet some very nice people in the park with theirs. I am getting over the death of a close friend, and I find submerging myself in a good book helps, as does listening to music. Try and work a treat into your working day, be that a walk in the garden or playing a game on the computer. Also make your surroundings the best they can be so that you feel happy and relaxed in them.

• Deleted User 1st September 2021 at 8:55 pm

I’ve been getting out a lot more this week after deciding to turn my works computer off at 5pm. That has made me a lot more sociable for sure.

• richard4039 1st September 2021 at 9:25 pm

I need to start up in business. Part of my thinking centres around building the life-style that I want. At the moment the favoured scenario is working from home on the East coast in a house overlooking the north sea. But, I may need to figure in to my plans opportunties for getting out and meeting people face to face. It’s an issue I recognise as important to consider.

• Coral52 1st September 2021 at 9:28 pm

I worked from home from the beginning of the first lockdown in England. I loved it at first, but by the end of 12 months I realised that I had become a hermit. I am back at work for part of the week now . I suddenly realised that I really did miss the chit chat of the office. I also discovered I really didn’t miss the traffic and the commute. So, I would be happy to work from home again, but I realise that if I had to do it then I would need to get out and about a bit more when I wasn’t working. Best of luck in finding the balance that works for you.

• Deleted User 1st September 2021 at 9:32 pm

Hi Coral, Ive tried to finish work at 5 every evening and then go out straight away tog et some exercise. Walking earlier this week and then indoor clilbing this evening. So far its all going well.

• pollardc60 2nd September 2021 at 8:55 am

Not great to spend all time not interacting with other people.
      I feel like that sometimes 🙃 and I haven’t been working at all. Just found a job, new shop opens middle of this month

• somanyquestions 2nd September 2021 at 8:59 am

I thought I hated my work from home job but now they’ve let me go and I haven’t got a job you realise how not having a job is much worse .Feeling so lost now as I’ve worked for the last forty years .Having RA and no transport means I have to find another part time home job which is proving very difficult

• Deleted User 2nd September 2021 at 9:05 am

Sorry to hear about your job. Hopefully you will find something that allows you to work from home again. I think its a lot easier these days since Covid to be able to work from home. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Deleted User 2nd September 2021 at 8:59 am

Yes I think the casual chats that ahve nothing to do with worka re what I miss the most when Im working at home. At least I get to chat on here once in a while which always brightens my day. Congratultations about your new job.

• Tess121068 2nd September 2021 at 9:18 am

Hi. I’ve been working from home since March 2020 and Although I enjoyed it I did miss my colleagues. I had my son at home too so I did have company. My son has just recently left home and I now find myself living alone for the first time and I really do wish I could go into the office for some daily interaction but that isn’t on the cards unfortunately 😕

• Deleted User 2nd September 2021 at 9:27 am

I know what a quiet house is like and it does take some getting used to. Im sure you will get into a new routine and that things will feel less lonely and quiet.

• Keith D 2nd September 2021 at 10:37 am

I have been retired early many years and took up voluntary work. But even that has been done by working online, which has simply made my loneliness from early retirement even more hard
      Thankfully I will start with face to face in new voluntary work tomorrow, with people who have had strokes and are learning to speak and communicate all over again

• Nicki G 2nd September 2021 at 1:22 pm

I agree, working from home does my head in….I’m now back in work thank goodness. In the beginning getting up later was great and eating breakfast at your computer was all very well but they were the only positives. I even missed my drive in and home again.
      Living alone 24/7 is bad enough let alone having to work there as well.

• Deleted User 2nd September 2021 at 1:48 pm

Hi Nicki, I know what you mean about being home alone 24/7 with only work for company. Ive sort of got sued to it and Im happy only to ahve to venture intot he office occasionally. I can miss the rush hour traffic too which is a definite bonus. My coffee at home is also a lot better than the works coffee. A definitel plus for me.

• Sarah62 2nd September 2021 at 7:47 pm

I’ve been lucky to have been able to carry on with my job, I help two elderly ladies with their housework, gardening, shopping etc…..
      My dog was also my saviour during lockdown – getting out and walking a couple of times a day whatever the weather.
      It’s good that we have at least returned to some form of normality, but having been a bit like a hermit for so long now it’s hard to gain confidence to be social again

• Deleted User 2nd September 2021 at 7:53 pm

Yes it can be a challenge when you actually meet people, face to face and have a conversation. I got totally sued to Zoom, Skype and Whatsapp chats.

• beetlejuice 30th September 2021 at 9:18 am

Hi all, i am new to this website and still scrolling through past messages.Can i say
      i am and have been so envious of those at home all day furloughed or working from home.I am Nhs worker and so had to be at work,every day was horendous almost like walking into a lions den and knowing that the chances of my not catching Covid were quite slim and of course i was right, in the persuit of carrying out my role, i did! there were some fun times during it all though.5am start and my car broke down! reached for phone to call Green flag, only to find battery flat and not got charger with me.Then abandoning car to find a phone box and dropping car keys down a drain.Desperate 20 minute walk home to phone work and explain my abscence only to be told, i am on annual leave.(hope this makes you laugh)

• Deleted User 30th September 2021 at 9:20 am

That did make me chuckle. Hopefully you did manage to enjoy your annual
      Leave in the end.

• beetlejuice 30th September 2021 at 10:19 am

No because the lie in had passed and i had to book car in for the following day which was my second annual leave day! fortunately though had a spare car key at home

• MikeyG 30th September 2021 at 10:22 am

Personally I share your sentiments Dr Dave, Ive gone from travelling the globe with work to working from the confines of my front room……

Add