Home Forums General Who remembers…..queuing to get into supermarkets...

Tambos57 Posted 3 months ago
Who remembers…..queuing to get into supermarkets, no cars on the road, the country’s obsession with loo rolls….

Seems an age ago now

7 likes & 17 replies
    • Pops McCarthy 21st May 2022 at 11:14 am

I remember local shops where, on my way to school and give the grocer and the greengrocer a list and mum would collect it in a couple of hours time.

• backofbeyond 21st May 2022 at 8:55 pm

Still working our way through those loo rolls … 🤣

• Forestbather 21st May 2022 at 8:58 pm

Better check the date on all that pasta you bought, too.

• backofbeyond 22nd May 2022 at 8:11 am

I think the pasta got used as landfill. There’s only so much fusilli I can face 🤣

We’re easily manipulated (or panicked) with all of this. I was talking to a friend in the US the other day and he said they’d spent $200 on ‘just in case’ tinned food back when Putin was willy waving his nukes a few months ago. Now of course they have to eat the stuff (or more likely, donate it to the local food bank).

• Pennypitstop 22nd May 2022 at 10:27 am

I was talking about that the other day, it does seem like a weird dream we all had…but at least we had little chats with each other in the queues :). I hope it never happens again.

• Robert K 22nd May 2022 at 10:54 am

People scared to push a lift button or sit on a park bench. The first time you wore a face mask in public. Everyone saying ‘unprecedented times’.

• Misty2 22nd May 2022 at 1:19 pm

Feels like only yesterday, mind you, with the cost of living crisis, food shortages due to the war/Brexit and now this Monkeypox mysteriously cropping up everywhere, I don’t think it’ll be long before we’re all back to the queuing and rationing.

• Dee.D 22nd May 2022 at 1:45 pm

Watch out for monkey pox

• backofbeyond 22nd May 2022 at 4:03 pm

Monkey pox … wha, where, don’t panic, don’t panic (does impression of Corporal Jones from Dad’s Army jumping up and down). 🤣

Monkey pox – ffs.

• paxton1974 22nd May 2022 at 2:23 pm

Yes the powers at be certainly coerced everybody in to believing the nonsense. Let’s hope next time people will question & find the facts. Still twatty unbalanced & Doris enjoyed their 5 mins of fame thankfully never to be seen again

• Dee.D 22nd May 2022 at 5:46 pm

Something else for us to think about instead of the rising cost of living 🤔

• NannaG 22nd May 2022 at 6:28 pm

It just seems one thing after another , we just seem to almost resolve one infection and mysteriously another one appears ??? 🤔 Can’t help but wonder

• backofbeyond 23rd May 2022 at 9:27 am

None – or very few anyway – of us should have to worry (too much). Smallpox vaccination, which we’ll have had as children, is protective against Monkey Pox. Routine smallpox vaccination in the UK lasted until 1970 (or 71 – can’t quite remember), so if your childhood was before that you’re probably ok.

My daughter works in one of the large London hospitals and they currently have a patient in with monkeypox, so it is real, not just some social control fake news meme.

• Caroline of Smoggy land 23rd May 2022 at 9:28 am

Originally I thought here we go again, winding everyone one up into a panic – yet another health scare, probably been blown out of all proportion. My friends and I were laughing about it a week or so before lockdown started, as one had just returned from Budapest – so we were joking on making the sign of the cross with fingers. Lockdown came, everyone stood queuing in Tesco’s carpark and have a natter. When the weather was good, it was a case of an ice cream seller should come around and other days, someone from Costa should come and take our coffee order and we could drink it while queuing. Seeing the deserted roads, though was like some 1980s drama were they’d dropped the nuclear bomb – all that was missing was the fall out dust.

• Dorothea 26th May 2022 at 11:01 pm

Doesn’t it just seem like a lifetime ago.

As well as bereavements, it’s sad that Covid has changed relationships. With friends reluctant to eat out or go to cinema and theatre, and one who won’t go inside someone else’s house, it’s proved more isolating than intended, even now and I’ve had to join a new group to go out for a meal or a walk.

I’ve not worked in two years, which hit my savings hard and without family support, I wouldn’t have managed. I start a new job after the Jubilee weekend, knowing I’ve quite liked being at home and that I really am going back for the money, but also to be able to go out and do things.

Ive done lockdown because of Boris and now don’t go far for fear of the petrol bill.

I’ve bemoaned the lack of family support but also discovered that a long term friend is also related to my family, so feel like I’ve got another cousin

It’s very definitely swings and roundabouts, but we all have stories to tell!

• Grace Williams 27th May 2022 at 12:33 pm

Nope… no memories there for me. I refused to take part in any of it. Aided by the fact I don’t watch tv/news/main stream media/ radio/ papers etc… it seems I live in another world to everyone else 🤗🙎‍♀️

Add