Home Forums General Who is your King(s) or Queen(s) of Comedy?

CAAS Posted 1 year ago
Who is your King(s) or Queen(s) of Comedy?

Mine are Spike Milligan, Billy Connolly, Lee Evans, Tim Vine, Mick Miller, Johnny Casson, , Bernard Manning, Dave Allen Jasper Carrot, Chubby Brown and not forgetting the wonderful Victoria Wood.

4 likes & 53 replies
    • Nick Tilling 26th May 2021 at 2:36 pm

Linda Smith, I do miss her.

Mark Steel – he came to Matlock Bath Pav to do his Mark Steel’s in town radio show.

George Carlin – master of savagery against the rottenness of the system.

• CAAS 26th May 2021 at 2:39 pm

Carlin was a Master, his Rant about Germs is a Masterpiece.

• Nick Tilling 26th May 2021 at 2:52 pm

I’d put a really good clip up of his piece about why we have no rights – but the language might not be to everyone’s taste.

• CAAS 26th May 2021 at 3:33 pm

I’ve seen many of George’s performances on You tube and I think you’re right about his language, it may upset someone. Another American Comic you might like is Ralphie May, don’t know if you’ve come across him, but his You tube clips are well worth watching.

• Josie The Black Country Wench 26th May 2021 at 5:06 pm

Milton Jones

• loislane 26th May 2021 at 6:07 pm

Micky Flanagan,

• Deleted User 26th May 2021 at 6:13 pm

Jasper Carrot, love him! Just love his style of comedy!

• Dreamyboy 26th May 2021 at 9:02 pm

Dave Allen, Victoria Wood – saw them both live were excellent, nowadays live Shappi Khorsandi very funny lady and Dara O’Briain is very funny and intelligent guy.

• George W 27th May 2021 at 7:19 am

Jerry Sadowitz or Limmy ..not everyone’s cups of tea but are way ,way out there and the antidote for “you can see my punchline coming a mile away” from the likes of Michael McIntyre .

• Dreamyboy 27th May 2021 at 8:50 am

Saw Macintyre live a few years back when I actually liked him – within about ten minutes he had lost the audience and he realised it and showed that without his prepared act he couldn’t get them back onside again, he struggled through the rest of the show but showed that unless scripted he’s not a natural and that night died a death.

• CAAS 27th May 2021 at 10:21 am

I heard something along those lines about Macintyre, never really rated him. But have you noticed that some Comics when they’re fighting their way to the top are funny, but once they make it, they just don’t seem to be bothered and their performances become really Poor and Unfunny?

• Deleted User 30th May 2021 at 10:12 am

When you are getting 29 million a year like McIntyre and 9 million like Jonathan ross, you dont care, all you do is sit at home counting your I’ll gotten gains and laughing at thosewho .pay to see you. i would not pay either in Washers .

• CAAS 27th May 2021 at 10:15 am

A couple more of my Favourites are Frank Skinner, who I saw live and Ken Dodd. I saw the guy live 5 times and was going to make it 6 but unfortunately he passed away, just before, how could I have forgotten Doddy? Brilliant Comic.

• Deleted User 27th May 2021 at 10:39 am

Peter Kay
      Dave Spikey
      Lee Mak
      Micky Flanagan
      Russell Howard

Victoria Woods

When I was younger used to like seeing Bernard Manning- before the world went bonkers about what was deemed funny/offensive . Most of the old comedians

• motherdearest06 27th May 2021 at 7:11 pm

Mine are Victoria Wood, Lee Mac and Peter Kay

• Deleted User 27th May 2021 at 7:25 pm

Shaxi Khorsandi,and Frankie Howard

• Deleted User 27th May 2021 at 7:26 pm

Billy Connolly, Mark Steel,

• LucasH 27th May 2021 at 8:06 pm

I’m not sure about Lee Evans.
      Ronnie Barker is one of my favourites

• Martin 27th May 2021 at 8:17 pm

Tommy Cooper

• NYC to UK 27th May 2021 at 8:36 pm

The late great George Carlin, Bill Maher, Dawn French, Billy Connolly, Lee Mack, Jennifer Saunders

• susan.powell62 27th May 2021 at 8:56 pm

I have always liked Ronnie Barker and Victoria Wood.

• Deleted User 27th May 2021 at 9:59 pm

Mine is cannon and ball, mick Miller, stan boardman, Frank carson

• susan.bowe59 27th May 2021 at 10:08 pm

I love Reeves and Mortimer.Adore Bob!!

• Deleted User 28th May 2021 at 8:21 am

Victoria Wood was brilliant, Tim Vine is really funny, even when you know all of the jokes he still manages to be hilarious. Don’t know many of the current ones , but can’t stand some of them. Jeffrey Dunham if you like that sort of thing

• Deleted User 28th May 2021 at 11:08 am

my kings of comedy were Morecambe and wise , i met them in Catterick Garrison in 1975, when they did a free show for HM forces, my queen had to be Victoria wood . i dont like all these modern 5th rate comedians, to me theyre quite pathetic

• PMcC 28th May 2021 at 11:17 am

Too many of the current generation think ranting equals satire. I won’t invite a flame war by naming those I’d like to drop down a big hole and cover it over, but a comedian recently fired by the BBC and another who thinks snide remarks about his family equal “comedy” are top of the list. Mine are; Dave Allen, Jasper Carrott, Tim Vine, Frank Carson and from the US Stephen Wright(king of the deadpan “If at first you don’t succeed….skydiving is not for you”). Eddie Murphy as a stand up his “ice cream!” sketch had me in tears of laughter, and if I’m really low, on goes Robin Williams – particularly “Robin Williams at the Met”. I’d also invite people to check out an Irish trio “Foil, Arms and Hog”. (They did a sketch at Christmas “Santa Claus is captured by the Soviets”).

• Jo jo 28th May 2021 at 1:49 pm

Micky Flanagan

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 28th May 2021 at 3:05 pm

Les Dawson ” when the mother -in – law visited the Mice would throw themselves on the traps”

Dave Allen

Mick Miller

Frank Carson

Milton Jones

“theres’ more” oh yes, Jimmy Cricket.

Ken Dodd, the master , what a brain he had.

• Sandyg 29th May 2021 at 3:06 am

Michael MacIntyre creases me up…his observation of mundane everyday life is incredible.

• Deleted User 29th May 2021 at 2:10 pm

Phil Waaaang!

And Eddie Izzard.

And Rosie Jones 😃

• Deleted User 30th May 2021 at 7:55 am

I would have to say Bill Burr always talks about real life things very funny.
      Followed by Only Fools and Horses cast.

Cheers
      David
      What does a liar do after he dies? He lies still.

• Deleted User 30th May 2021 at 10:19 am

How can we forget the unique Charley williams he was so funny and down to earth,I used to meet him was he was a patient at our hospital where I was a volunteer
      He always had time for people in the street.
      His second wife still claims to be his widow, but she has remarried and changed her surname . Not my type of person, not at all like Charley

• CAAS 30th May 2021 at 10:30 am

Charley Williams, wonderful Comic, remember watching him on the Comedians during the 70’s. He used to play Professional football for Doncaster Rovers (I think). I remember by late Father-in- law, telling me he say Charley play.

• Deleted User 30th May 2021 at 10:52 am

Hi CAAS yes you are right.he was a lovely person and always a happy man until his,death I met him few times either in Barnsley town centre or going for his outpatient appointments but I also used to be in the same choir as his,second wife and she used her colour for her own advantage etc ,
      but Charley used it to make people laugh.

• Deleted User 1st June 2021 at 7:27 am

Peter Kay always made me cry with laughter! Jason Mansford is funny as is Jim Eoin. I was disappointed by Sarah Millican.

• Andie 1st June 2021 at 6:35 pm

No contest…..Laurel and Hardy🤣

• CAAS 1st June 2021 at 7:15 pm

Brilliant a fantastic comedy duo. I remember introducing them to my eldest Son when he was a nipper. He laughed so hard he fell of the settee. I also enjoyed the recent film based on their tour of England in the 1950’s

• Reenie 2nd June 2021 at 7:16 pm

Billy Connolly, Dave Allen, I think that Danny Bhoy is great even if little known, Peter Kay can really get to the heart of the every man. Jimeoin who is Irish but mostly works in Australia presents the smallest problems as hilarious.

Add