Home Forums Learning Who in lockdown is doing something fairly unusual...

Who in lockdown is doing something fairly unusual for them they wouldn’t normally have done?

I am learning Spanish on Duolingo – a great free app. I’d be interested to know if anyone else is learning a language by this method?

8 likes & 144 replies Share
    • Globetrotter15 3rd March 2021 at 12:15 pm

I’m in the process of producing the best ever Wow factor Chocolate Chip Cookies.
      If your interested ill be posting the results on here ASAP

• Rob2021 3rd March 2021 at 1:18 pm

Homeschooling my Grandson, never thought I’d do something like this but I’ve enjoyed it and he’s doing well. Back to school on Monday, I’ll try to learn Italian on the Duolingo app then 🙂

• melvyn12 7th March 2021 at 9:09 am

I’m doing the same course. So far so good!

• Gill B 7th March 2021 at 9:31 am

Signing up to Rest Less and then enjoying the conversations!

• Carol.L 10th March 2021 at 10:41 am

Same here Gill but also started doing QiGong, a gentler form of TAI CHI, just following YouTube videos. Pre Covid I was really into fitness classes doing zumba, weights, kettlebells and Pilates then last June I had a bad fall and shattered my wrist which put me out of action for months and really affected my confidence. I’ve since had a bone scan and been diagnosed with osteoporsis so I know I need to do weight bearing exercises to protect my bones. Decided a few weeks it was time to stop being a couch potato and do something until my fitness centre re-opens and really enjoying my daily QiGong.

• Traceyhowell94 13th March 2021 at 3:16 pm

Adding another 2 courses to my existing qualifications??

I Have just completed a Level 4 Diabetes & Weight

Management and about to do a Level 4 Mental Health Course

• Eighties Girl 29th March 2021 at 2:16 pm

I also am learning Spanish on duo lingo and find it really frustrating, I think part of the problem is that is South American Spanish.
      I’m persevering but might look to try babble instead.

• Begonia 1st August 2021 at 9:40 am

South American Spanish is spoken in the Canary Islands so great for there. I found Duolingo very frustrating as it used American English!

• Verityleigh 5th April 2021 at 10:44 am

Yes I am learning Spanish with Duolingo and also have an online lesson with CoffeeTime Spanish every week.

• Anonymous User 5th April 2021 at 11:04 am

Uber eats! I curse that app…

Cheers
      David
      I saw an ad for burial plots, and thought to myself this is the last thing I need.

• Lovetohelp 8th April 2021 at 11:59 pm

Hi sounds great…. some positives coming out of a difficult year. My son and I have been both cooking healthy vegetarian new recipes. Even have new cookbooks now lol. We’ve also been doing our own work outs. I’ve followed fabulous 50, doing Yoga, Pilates, HIIT, and walking a lot for work. I want to work on strength training now. Having had a health issue few years ago and losing my job, feel much better now, mentally and having lost weight too. So has my son.

• Sue53 22nd April 2021 at 10:28 pm

I started to learn Spanish with Duolingo during lockdown. Can read and write it OK, not sure I’ll be quick enough to hold a conversation

• AnnSp 16th May 2021 at 9:49 am

I learnt to crochet and made a blanket of summer flowers,
      Amazing what you can learn from YouTube tutorials
      My next task is to improve my knitting skills

Attachments:
    • Anonymous User (no longer active) 25th May 2021 at 4:59 pm

I decided to re- learn French. Luckily Rosetta Stone had a special offer so I treated myself- I have been learning almost every day since December and I love it! It’s so clever and I can’t believe how easy it is to learn new words without even bei g given the translation! It’s French only. I learnt French over 30 years ago and now there are words like mobile and computer etc 🙂

• Terry75 11th June 2021 at 9:03 am

I work full time and have done through the pandemic but as I’m now on my own, have time to spare and no one to annoy decided to learn guitar.

• Strot62 11th June 2021 at 5:09 pm

German on Duolingo.

• Grace Fu 26th June 2021 at 7:31 am

Always fancy learning Mandarin. Might look into Duolingo

• Phoenix66 1st July 2021 at 3:28 pm

I am also doing the same as well as Japanese and Korean. It’s a great app. Totally enjoying it at the moment.

• jenny shaw 4th July 2021 at 10:38 am

I have been learning Portuguese since I met my Portuguese son in law. Duolingo is great and something I can involve my grandson in.

• Grace Fu 5th July 2021 at 7:51 am

Just discovered Duolingo and learning Mandarin

• mr.logic 7th July 2021 at 11:31 am

I’m also learning Spanish and topping up my French with Duolingo. I also made a start on German, of which I know a little from fifty years ago but decided it’s better to concentrate on Spanish for now. I started with an evening class at a local college but they discontinued the higher levels and put the price up on part two of the basic after Brexit became inevitable so I went for Duolingo. I also watch Spanish language series on Netflix but still have English sub-titles on. I’ve tried it with Spanish sub-titles; I get most of it but I’m always worried I might miss a significant bit of the plot!

• Magicke 8th July 2021 at 10:33 am

I’m training to be a coach in Integrated Qigong for Health and Rehabilitation. It has helped me tremendously and I’m at the final assessment stage before I can start teaching. All a bit daunting but each session has helped me become calm, at peace with myself and empowered.

• Brighton Belle 8th July 2021 at 7:01 pm

I’ve upped making hats and bootees for Premature babies

Attachments:
    • Begonia 1st August 2021 at 9:34 am

Yes, I did Spanish on Duolingo for a couple of years but the verbs were so daunting that I gave up in the end. I really need to get back to it! Good luck to you though.

• Nicolina 10th August 2021 at 8:14 am

I’m learning Spanish as well and use Duolingo. It’s fun! Have also used it for French & Italian.

• Skunk007 10th August 2021 at 11:22 am

I am learning Italian on Duolingo have been doing for years on and off.
      Have a look at Quizlet that is quite good for languages.

• ChrisW 10th August 2021 at 6:25 pm

Hola! Como Estas? aprendo espanol con la aplicacion Babbel!

• Mamamia02 16th August 2021 at 3:44 pm

Hi all, I’d love to learn another language, which app would you say is the best to use?

• Philly H 23rd August 2021 at 12:56 pm

No, but want to give Italian a whirl! I’ll look up the app, thanks 🙂

• Multimorph 12th September 2021 at 9:12 am

I learned to play the sax and then did this…..did all the music apart from the drumming….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzrUDRIaetY

• Nicholas Rutherford 6th October 2021 at 11:43 am

I have earned my bread and butter in IT systems for travel. In lockdown I focussed more on glass engraving where I have a lot of connections. The Guild of glass engravers. (see facebook) offers classes for newcomers. I would like to find anyonr who might be interested in a remote introduction to the art.

Add