Home Forums History & Nostalgia Which historical era do you find most interesting?...

BridJames Posted 2 years ago
Which historical era do you find most interesting? Mine is the Victorian.

36 likes & 127 replies
    • Fluff 5th April 2021 at 11:58 am

Sometimes, I feel as though I do not belong to this period in time, Do like the Georgian period.

• Rat 6th April 2021 at 5:18 pm

It’s Victorian for me too. If i had my time over again I would have liked to be a Social Historian. Such an interesting time with so many changes especially for women. If only there was a time machine. I would definitely sign up. However the social divides were much greater in Victorian times. Fine if you were from a privileged background but not so good otherwise

• Stuegie 7th April 2021 at 12:55 pm

Hi, I also love anything from the Victorian era, buildings, bridges, photos. My favourite is anything to do with Isambard Kingdom Brunel, his bridges, tunnels and railway infrastructure is just amazing. The Roman city builders also fascinate me.

• BridJames 7th April 2021 at 5:03 pm

I recently got around to reading the bookazine about Brunel with that as the title by Robin Jones. There is a more recent one called Brunel and his rivals which may be an updated version. It’s worth reading though and there are plenty of colour photos and illustrations to support the interesting text.

Even more recently I read a fascinating history of the GWR. The book is called The Great Western at Swindon Works. I was lucky enough to see it in The Works for £4.99 a few years back but if you look on Amazon or an online discount bookseller you might find it for a similar price. RRP £29.99

• Gardener52 7th April 2021 at 4:29 pm

For me 30s-40s I like the clothing the music anything related to the war and that era nostalgia..artist of that time, furniture,architecture…

• Mobbsy 7th April 2021 at 5:30 pm

Certainly Victorian, The Wars of the Roses, The English Civil War and The Reformation. But the Second World War is probably the one I go for first

• Nick Tilling 14th April 2021 at 12:07 am

Georgian for me – provided I’d got the money! I fancy being an Indolent clergyman – nice living provided by the aristocracy, a curate to do all the work, spend my time eating and drinking – however, just in case you think I’m taking my duties lightly, I would make a point of reading Fordyce’s Sermons to impressionable young ladies, like the Bennett girls.

• Fluffy 8th May 2021 at 4:35 pm

would have to be medieval for me , would love to run into battle in full armour with a mighty broadsword 😀

• SEAHORSE60 9th June 2021 at 8:52 am

Me too, I love anything Victorian.

• Cullbaggie 10th June 2021 at 2:43 pm

Victorian engineering fascinates me, from building to structures.

• Gary K 10th June 2021 at 3:01 pm

Viking into Dark Ages

• Deleted User 10th June 2021 at 3:38 pm

According to my school days we’d be living in the Jetsons days by now of moving pavements antigravity cars no work just endless leisure times.
      We look pretty close to it in many ways but you know what, I’m not liking what I’m seeing.

• Sheltie 10th June 2021 at 7:42 pm

I love the Victoria era as so much changed then however i am getting interested in Tudor times as well

• Julie R 13th June 2021 at 11:45 am

For me , probably a bit later -Edwardian and through to 1930

• Roversblue 14th June 2021 at 1:55 pm

Tudor history is good but enjoy most period. Not over keen on political

• Toby 15th June 2021 at 3:50 am

Tudor

• Berlioz 17th June 2021 at 11:00 am

Mine is victorian too. You can find fasinating stories in the newspaper archives.

• Arthur Chappell 18th June 2021 at 4:23 pm

The Stuart period – Until my health declined recently, I was an active English Civil War Re-enactor

• Jonathan_writer 20th June 2021 at 11:39 am

Definitely the Tudors! Fascinating era.

• Deleted User 20th June 2021 at 10:10 pm

• Tuppence 21st June 2021 at 9:59 am

Elizabethan and pre-Roman … although really, I think anything that’s gone before is fascinating and would love to see where we’ll be in 50 years. Not much chance of that happening!

• Kiddo 21st June 2021 at 11:06 am

Tudors are brilliant too

• Tennis Son 2nd August 2021 at 10:46 am

Got to be Victorian because the world is as it is now because of them and all their ideas and inventions. For better or worse.

• H. 12th August 2021 at 8:46 pm

Mine is Victorian too. I’d still like to study it but difficult to find courses solely about this period.

• Mary Catherine 15th August 2021 at 8:25 am

Start local. Internet/face book has a wealth of information about this period through photos / newspaper articles. learn about your local area first then you’ll get to know like minded people who may run courses (or may even start one )!!

• Westlinstar 12th August 2021 at 9:30 pm

Roman for me….the question is tho WHERE during that time would I like to have been? Above the Wall, below the Wall, beyond Britannia altogether? And WHO would I like to have been? Roman, Barbarian…..🤔 I honestly would have trouble picking. Can we get free goes at a bit of everything? Lol!

• Deleted User 12th August 2021 at 9:48 pm

The Roman empire and fall of Rome

• cjglos 13th August 2021 at 11:05 am
    • Bastmanya Moonblood 13th August 2021 at 2:20 pm

Medievel, im sure they would have tried to burn me at the stake! Iv been accused of being a witch for my interests in natural herbal remedies in this life and all the crystals I collect and candels i burn.
      Yes I am the White Witch of Wineham. 😊https://media.tenor.com/images/fd643801c673a4b4d72e8e5181c7a43f/tenor.gif https://media.tenor.com/images/fd643801c673a4b4d72e8e5181c7a43f/tenor.gif https://media.tenor.com/images/fd643801c673a4b4d72e8e5181c7a43f/tenor.gif

• HappyDaze 14th August 2021 at 11:32 am

I loved the war of the roses Plantagenet era, Richard lll, the battle of Bosworth, the mystery surrounding the princess in the tower. I’ve so many books I can pick up and read over again. Highly recommend the kings Gray Mare. The era is about Elizabeth Woodville who snared Edward VI (sun in splendour) ( and was it witchcraft?) the powerful Earl of Warwick (kingmaker) objected and it all so changed our course of history. So many battles, treachery, love, deceit.
      The White Queen was televised a while back and it was quite true to history. The amazing Welsh actor Aneurin Bernard played Richard lll ohhh It was a real treat.

• Caroline of Smoggy land 16th August 2021 at 3:34 pm

Was fascinated by the Roman occupation of Britain when studying history at school. I was just as fascinated with the Iron age and Bronze age. I find Tudor architecture interesting. Such a lot happened during the Victorian era (and I do find the fashion glamorous). Swinging 60s though is probably where I would go, the music, coffee bars, starched skirts.

• Duncan R Smith 12th February 2022 at 9:18 pm

Medieval for me, the intrigue between the houses fighting over land and religious beliefs. Also the inner turmoil of the ruling dynasty.

Add