Home Forums History & Nostalgia Which historical era do you find most interesting?...

• Which historical era do you find most interesting? Mine is the Victorian.

Posted by BridJames
    • Reply by Angel Lisa

Medieval and earlier for me

• Reply by Lynn Marie

Mine too. Especially social History. Working and living conditions. Etc. Proud to be a Mancunian of working class stock. Made it through to become a History teacher as I benefitted from Govt policy of late 60s and early 70s re education.👍

• Reply by Teresa dida

Love Roman and Tudors… although don’t ask me any dates 😂😂.. not sure I would have liked to live in Tudor times as women had no voice..

• Reply by Annie Rose

Pre Roman and medieval, wars of the roses

• Reply by Vik

Tudor

• Reply by Anonymous User

I find the victorians fascinating but I do love reading novels that involve the war to read about how hard life was for the people and how brave they were.

• Reply by Nick H

For me it is Roman Britain, Boudicca, Caesar and all that

• Reply by Mistri

Victorian and Tudor!!

• Reply by Daffodil

Prefer the Mediaeval myself but my granddaughter loves the Victorian era so visits to historical houses are a regular event.

• Reply by Mal Penny

Tudors and Napoleonic

• Reply by Thinktoftimespast

I find the Stuart period much more interesting than the Tudor. As the Stuart period still stirs up controversy even in the present day I think this is why TV, film, radio and other media would rather keep it in the dark.

You may ask why? The English Civil War or the British Civil Wars would be a better description as all nations were involved including Ireland. And of course Ireland being a more recent direct link to the Stuart’s in more recent years.

Today we could say that the UK has never been more divided since the times of the Civil War be that through political, economic or religious views that differ and run parallel to what was going on over 350 years ago.

The chaos at the end of the war saw the origins of our present constitution in Government and the foundations of the beginning of the later British Empire. England became a country without a monarch as was ruled and organised as a republic. Later when the monarchial line was re-installed the Stuart’s carried on until replaced by the Hanoverians.

• Reply by Daisychain

Just now I’m most interested in the Italian campaign in WW2 as I have a family member who fought through North Africa then on to Sicily and Anzio, Italy. History has fascinated me ever since I can remember. I was indulged as a child by  my mother, who took me to all the available local castles, historic houses and ancient monuments. In later years I’ve traced my family back to discover they were mainly agricultural workers with the odd craftsfolk here and there. Today, there is far greater interest in the voices of ordinary people although social history in the past also looked at them to a degree.

• Reply by Ken

So with you on that in fact my late father in law was on that trail too and wounded in Italy – earlier this year I threw caution to the wind and grabbed a flight to Naples and then a coach and found the river bed where he’d been wounded – I crossed it as a mark of defiance and brought back a pebble which is now at his grave. Had it not been for COvid I’d have been to Sicily by now having already covered North Africa.

• Reply by Happy to chat.

I love Victorian or medieval.  Castles are the best.

• Reply by Ken

Here in Northern Ireland we have so many castles and forts dating back to the normans in the 12th century

• Reply by BridJames

what do you like most about the Victorian era?

• Reply by Jaynie

Late medieval, early modern, the type of life illustrated in the Lutrell Psalter.  How different the world would have been then, all that uninhabited (by people) countryside, so many more birds and wildlfe, clean rivers (except in the, much smaller, towns), clean air.  No tech, no cars.  Wish someone would invent a time machine.

• Reply by BridJames

I’m hardly a big fan of sci-fi but, like you Jaynie, I often find myself wanting to be in a different place where things are much more straightforward. It’s usually when the wifi signal is slow but other things about 21st-century life seem just about bearable. I begin to wonder what would have been the best time to live in and to travel to if such a journey back in time could be possible. I begin to have sobering doubts when I consider that I’d probably find myself on the lower end of a class divide which was so much more defined in previous centuries.

• Reply by Jaynie

I could live with the lower class issue, provided I lived in the countryside and not the town.  Being a rural peasant would be quite appealing, not far off from what I am now, lol.  Except I would have to live in a stone and turf hovel with a fire instead of a farmhouse with (not particularly efficient) central heating.

• Reply by BridJames

I somehow think that in certain periods of time if we were in the lowest class life would be almost unbearable.

• Reply by Jaynie

I’m no big fan of modern living to be honest, we all enjoy the trappings of ‘progress’ but it’s what’s important to the individual at the end of the day.  I admit that in the winter months the cold would get to me, but to see the countryside thriving and not disappearing under tarmac, concrete, litter and plastic, not to have to tolerate the fact that every corner of our lovely country is becoming populated and subject to increasing human pressures of needing more roads, more shops, more housing estates, more landfill or watch modern farming methods with their machines spraying chemicals and ruining the soil, I could put up with it.  We all prioritise differently.

• Reply by cbeaumont1954

This is such an interesting question and I could answer it in a number of ways, depending on what class I would be in. I would want to have avoided the 20th Century because of the horrendous conflicts and the dominance of fascism at significant times. The 19th century, while so grim at times, and highly exploitative of our colonies, did see advances on a number of key issues, including the beginnings of representative democracy. There were not the wars that had started the century and would then arise in the 20th.

Add