Home Forums General What’s the last board, card game you learnt to p...

SharronE Posted 6 months ago
What’s the last board, card game you learnt to play?

Last night my children came over and we played Rummikub, never played it before and it challenged me in a good way.

2 likes & 26 replies
    • Robert K 12th February 2022 at 8:01 am

I loved board games growing up, but my grown children were never interested. I do have ‘Buccaneer’ from 1970 somewhere in the loft.

• Dreamyboy 12th February 2022 at 8:45 am

Used to work at a school for kids with challenging behaviours right out in the sticks – some of them were almost feral, bussed in from neighbouring counties with multiple ‘carers’ to keep them under control…….. The only things that kept them in line was the promise of either various afternoon excursions or Rummikub! They were absolutely fanatical about it and all became quite expert players – a great little game 😉

• Moondaisy 12th February 2022 at 9:12 am

Oooer never heard of this, will def have a look. We love board games, often get together for ‘games’ night. I would say overall though, cards are our favourite. My boys taught me a new game called killer we all played…. it was hysterical…. I ended up quite tipsy as we had to drink the ‘sin’ bin if we were out.

We also like to play simple games like, boy, girl, fruit, flower.

• Twinkle63 12th February 2022 at 12:21 pm

Card game, UNO, played it at Christmas with the family, 5 year old granddaughter was brill at it. Great fun with 7 of us playing.

• Daisychain 12th February 2022 at 2:44 pm

Labyrinth with my youngest grandchildren. They love playing board games.

• Reverend Nick 12th February 2022 at 11:10 pm

Gloom – a sort of Goth version of Happy Families.

I should like to learn Bridge.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 12th February 2022 at 11:41 pm

Orthello

• Pops McCarthy 13th February 2022 at 11:13 am

Uno was the last card game I learned. Something called Mono Poly was the last board. I was bankrupt in an hour and fell asleep waiting for the others to finish. (5 hours later!!!!!!)

• barnebasguitano 9th March 2022 at 4:42 pm

I enjoyed playing Resistance. This game is like Mafia, but it has a queue of moves. There are also more interesting roles in this game. For example, if the Mafia has the main Mafia that controls other killers, then Resistance has a good main character – a Sage. And the last computer game I played was Poppy Playtime which I found on https://theapkplace.com/poppy-playtime-chapter-2-mobile-apk-download-for-android-and-ios. I played it for about ten hours, if you count the total time spent in the game. I like puzzle games, funny or scary interfaces, and character designs. Try to play this game if you have the opportunity. I promise you will feel goosebumps on your skin. But this is only if you like everything strange and unusual!

• KayMull 12th March 2022 at 7:50 am

Sequence is the best board game at the moment. Also love Balderdash.

• grumpybob 12th March 2022 at 8:17 am

We very recently got introduced to Rummikub and Bananagram on a cruise. I found Banagram very addictive – and it doesn’t go on too long, usually about 15-20 minutes a game

• madeleine45 12th March 2022 at 8:35 am

well I was brought up playing all the card games from snap to rummy etc and we are all good at maths in our family and mum and dad when they retired used to go with saga teaching advanced bridge games etc and had quite a following of people who wanted to know what trip they were on and would follow them. My dad said he would teach me bridge when I could play whist properly, should be able to deduce hands once 2 rounds played and work out how to win, should be able to remember how many of each pack gone etc. well I ended up moving away before he ever taught me. Started looking at Mahjong when out in syria but now here have just enrolled on a begineers bridge course with an EBU teacher. I find that whatever I am learning whether it is music or games if I learn something incorrectly it is very difficult to relearn properly so am going through the basics so that I have a good grounding. Have only had two lessons so far and then due to having to go to hospital missed the last week but am already looking forward to it and when I cannot sleep am already thinking in my head what I could have done etc, so think it is going to be quite important for me now. I have played canasta, loads of different kinds of patience , and a long time ago solo and I think it was called petique, some very old game that my great aunt used to play with another elderly lady. My husband was not really interested in card games much and preferred the odd game of dominoes with double nines, which are not so usual. But cards and dominoes and crib we kept with us when camping or sailing and if we were stuck in port with bad weather there could be quite a marathon of card playing. I have always kept Monolopy at home as too dodgy for little bits to fall down in the bilges and cause problems and it takes too long to play for small childrens concentration levels. we had a mad game called Yertles for one christmas. you had a pole with a sharp point on top then a plastic three circle bit that had a b or c on the circles and it balanced on the pole. You then had a dice idea I think it was and so your idea was you had little turtle looking bits of plastic each person with a different colour. so your throw allowed you to hang the turtle on one of the circles. Your aim was to keep your turtle attached and tip the others off or make it difficult to put another one one. Of course if you got a lot of b’s and had to put them all on the b circle that would start to tip downwards and the other two raise and so it was quite a good mix of working out strategies and hand eye coordination and triumphing by hanging one on with just one leg very carefully and the next person would have a real job not to knock the whole lot off. a great game for a mixed group of ages , and if you all are good natured about it you can make a forfeit if someone tips the whole lot off , or it can be a lovely silly game for adults one evening to have a drink and a few nibbles and they can get quite competitive in couples trying to beat the others. Of course there is also the old but good game of getting your cards and trying to build a high tower with them without them collapsing. That is great if you are very worried about something. Whilst you are concentrating for that moment on gently putting another card on top you cannot be worrying about anything else.always great to have a pack of decent cards around. Happy games and it is good to see children having a go with parents where they are actually playing together not just sitting with their mobiles making no contact.

• JanetRB 12th March 2022 at 9:36 am

Mexican Train is our favourite at present.

• Sandyg 12th March 2022 at 9:57 am

Doblo, or Dobbio, I thin its called, round memory cards game, great for all ages, its the New Uno !

• CastlegreenBobby 11th April 2022 at 10:48 pm

Dobble? Like snap but lots and lots of images on each (round) card? I know 4 year olds who are quite good but its challenging for my mind as I can only concentrate for a short period of time

• ShaniE 12th March 2022 at 2:21 pm

Favourites with my family at the moment are Quirke, Sequence, Uno Extreme, Mexican Train and a card game called Golf. I have just learnt Backgammon.

• madeleine45 13th March 2022 at 11:17 pm

mexican train sounds interesting and I will find out a bit more about it.

• tomb242 15th March 2022 at 9:42 am

Solo/Co-Operative Games such as Mini Rouge and Ghost Fightin’ Treasure Hunters.

• Colin in Kent 15th March 2022 at 2:58 pm

Last boardgame I learned was one I supported on Kickstarter, called Flourish. You design a garden and gain points for various flowers, garden features, trees etc. The scoring is fantastically complicated (you can get points for things that are in your neighbours’ gardens rather than your own, if you’re sneaky), and although a game might only take 30 minutes it is pretty strategic. It has gorgeous artwork, which is what drew my eye to it. From the makers of Everdell.

• Paul095 15th March 2022 at 3:38 pm

Strip Poker, now l can’t go to breakfast in Tescos again 😄

• CastlegreenBobby 11th April 2022 at 10:51 pm

Dobble (as I detailed earlier), challenging for all ages and us oldies need our reading glasses to have any chance. In recent years I’ve also learnt 5 second challenge which leads to lots of hilarity (being sober helps a lot) and Alias …these are all good for all ages

• Jackcruely 20th June 2022 at 8:42 pm

The last one was rummy. It was not super complicated, but I did not have the occasion before.
      I learned to play it in real life because I wanted to understand how online rummy(https://www.khelplayrummy.com/) works. It seems that now it’s one of the trending online card games, and it is possible to make money with it. I want to figure out how it works and have some passive income in the future. I know it’s not simple, but I still want to try because I have no other income sources, and I need some money to pay for rent. My parents will soon tell me to get out of their apartment since I am already 30, and I will have to become an adult and look for my own room.

• TmonT 20th June 2022 at 9:58 pm

Dobble great game

• TritOny 29th June 2022 at 12:43 pm

It was Secret Hitler. It’s a board game, which reminds me of the mafia game a bit. Actually, it’s much more exciting to play. To cut a long story short, the whole game is about deception and unity. There’s a huge number of tutorials about this game on youtube, so you’ll learn the rules quickly. The proof is in the pudding. But when I want to have some rest, I play https://online-jigsaw-puzzles.com/. It helps me feel relaxed after a hard day at work. I’d say it’s a meditation for me. Luckily my children love it too, so I often know what to give them. Do you do puzzles from time to time?

Add