Home Forums Gardening What’s the best part of being in your garden or...

Deleted User Posted 2 years ago
What’s the best part of being in your garden or allotment

Whilst I love growing my own veg and flowers I think just being outside and little things like a bird coming up to where you are digging and taking a worm or the breeze of an autumn wind having leaves rain down on you. So what’s the best about gardening for you?

4 likes & 36 replies
    • Jimper 13th October 2020 at 10:48 pm

Not just growing things but building things, not complete buildings but things like raised beds, sheds, organising were your next beds for the following year etc and the community where people chat and share idea’s

• 15th October 2020 at 1:25 pm

I like the fact that whatever you do, there’s a sense of satisfaction at having made some progress. Or, the pleasure of relaxation from just sitting and looking at the plants and daydreaming of plans for the next season.

• Deleted User 15th October 2020 at 4:32 pm

Totally agree. One day I will grow carrots that don’t look like they are following a road map! They always fool you with decent tops and then embarrassing roots!

• 15th October 2020 at 4:56 pm

Mine are lovely and straight, but not very long – still, beautifully sweet. How long do you think they’ll last in the ground? This is only the second time I’ve ever grown them and the last time was in the early 80s!

• Deleted User 15th October 2020 at 7:48 pm

Depends on the variety- autumn sowing varieties such as autumn king will stand frost other like Amsterdam forcing winter- depending on the soil it’s a race who eats them first you or the slugs!

• 17th October 2020 at 2:37 pm

I’d probably better get in there now! Though having said that, they’ve remained slug-free. Courgettes were a different story, though I did rescue a few. Broccoli suffered – I had to fight the butterflies off!

• AV 15th October 2020 at 4:26 pm

Fresh air, exercise and feeling the sun on your back.  Looking at what is ready to harvest and considering how to cook. freeze or preserve.  The delight of new seedlings pushing up through soil.  Choosing seeds for next year.

• Deleted User 15th October 2020 at 4:31 pm

I think you have summed up why gardeners get so much pleasure from what they do. Part of it is also the fact that no two seasons are the same so however much you think you are on top of it – your not! This makes it fun

• DHB 18th October 2020 at 8:47 am

I don’t consider myself a ‘gardener’ because I know nothing about gardening but I still enjoy pottering in the garden, planting, and admiring my efforts and natures.

I moved 2 years ago to a house with a large very over grown garden.

It’s a lot of hard work and a working progress but I’m getting there.

Dawn

• Deleted User 18th October 2020 at 8:53 am

The journey of your garden is what makes it fun- getting things right by accident and then pretending you always meant it is part of the fascination of gardening!

• DHB 18th October 2020 at 9:03 am

Yes Larry your right, whatever pops up I take the praise when really I didn’t even known that it was there.

I have to admit I need to use goggle a lot to get advice.

I’d love to have a gardener to help me and advise me re what I’m doing but it’s financially not possible at the moment.

• Deleted User 18th October 2020 at 9:49 am

Before I went into teaching I worked in a horticultural nursery and served my apprenticeship there- I worked in the industry for over 20 years- if I can help with any ideas or plans just let me know

• DHB 18th October 2020 at 10:13 am

Thank you Larry, I’ll keep that in mind next time I need goggle.

Have a lovely day

• hazel.worden 18th October 2020 at 5:28 pm

I have quite a small garden and have grown herbs for years, without actually using them. This is the first year I have harvested my herbs. Also seeds of favourite flours for next year. But am enjoying the mint I’ve dried out. The bay leaves. Parsley Thyme even the leaves and flowers of lavender. my kitchen always smells amazing when I cook these days. I’ve discovered that bay leaves taste exactly like shop bought green tea. Health benefits are fantastic. Even lavender leaves in tea are great, mixed with ginger. I rarely use my Schwartz herbs over my home grown. This is my favourite thing about my garden.

• gaynor 18th October 2020 at 6:49 pm

harvesting fruit and veg

• Pat 20th October 2020 at 12:16 pm

For me it’s being outside in the fresh air in my own green space. I even enjoy mowing the lawn. I have quite a large garden with lots of lawn.  It takes me about 30-40 minutes so I’m getting my day’s exercise too.

• Deleted User 20th October 2020 at 12:22 pm

I know what you mean- sometimes activities that don’t take much thinking about but have a sense of completion and a visible end results are just what we need.

• Jimper 20th October 2020 at 12:58 pm

A bit like mine, but I have put wire mesh around it, recycling at its best, lol.

• Brainnake 20th October 2020 at 2:01 pm

As regards the original question – I think it looks like it’s all been said.

;¬)

• Deleted User 22nd October 2020 at 9:39 pm

I have a plot with my son and daughter in law plot next to mine. It nearly broke my back to dig 1/3 of their plot over today but it’s the sort of relationship and pleasure of helping others that gardening brings

• JazzMin 22nd October 2020 at 8:32 pm

Just sitting there with a mug of tea, thinking “I did this and this is my legacy for those who will follow me in the years to come.”

• Deleted User 24th October 2020 at 8:03 am

Being outside. Seeing the bees on the flowers I planted and growing my own vegs.

• Deleted User 13th December 2020 at 8:16 pm

My allotment neighbour recently suffered the sad loss of someone close. We have both found that a visit to the plot at times like this helps in the grieving. The peace and time away from the house is very special.

• Optimistic 14th December 2020 at 9:42 am

When the weather is nice I love to lay out on my swing enjoying the results of my pottering. In winter making sure the leaf piles have not blown around to much so the hedgehogs and frogs have safe places. To have a garden is so special as many do not have this luxury

• Nanny Nita 14th December 2020 at 10:28 am

Not finding any slugs or snails.

• Yellow Socks 14th December 2020 at 12:05 pm

Eating the ripe tomatoes.

• Lindy lou 14th December 2020 at 4:32 pm

Enjoying nature, listening to nature’s sounds, watching changing seasons and seeing my Jack Russell being teased by the neighbours cats, they sit up high with their tails dangliny and swaying in front of her and she is going besrk barking and jumping up and down in a crazy manner. Puts a broad smile on my face every time. Especially when the cat creeps away gingerly on the top of the wall and my dog is still going berserk when will she learn l wonder 🤔😂😂

• Ginny65 21st December 2020 at 3:29 pm

Just being able to see nature at work is great.
      I grow veg and have several themed gardens ( small ones I add 6m x 6m) sometimes I’m pleased with my results and sometimes nature challenges me but it’s still worthwhile. My garden and potting shed are my happy place.

• Josie The Black Country Wench 14th January 2021 at 7:43 pm

I have been at my present home for just 2 years now and creating my fantasy garden as been a real tonic to me especially during the current pandemic. I have just let my imagination run away with me and used all my arty ideas. It is work in progress but looked so lovely in the summer when everything was in flower and all the bees and butterflies were loving it.

• Deleted User 19th January 2021 at 5:04 pm

The wild life of course – we need to do all we can for them as their natural habitats shrink.

• Jimper 20th January 2021 at 8:48 am

I have spent more time in the in the shed than on the plot lately, just planning and re-planning, but it is better than being inside.

Add