Home Forums Book Club What’s the best book you’ve ever read and why?

JoPeachling Posted 2 months ago
What’s the best book you’ve ever read and why?
1 like & 10 replies
    • LucasH 21st September 2021 at 11:48 pm

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
      I don’t know but I guess it moved me.
      It’s not a barrel of laughs though.

• Dr Dave 22nd September 2021 at 12:03 am

Lord of the Rings. It’s a battle to finish the first time but I re read it over and over. A constant companion 😊

• Kenton 22nd September 2021 at 6:32 am

King Rat by James Clavell. How one man can succeed in an impossible situation when others can’t. Always stay positive in every situation and have a can do attitude. 🧑‍🏫

• Daisy 1212 22nd September 2021 at 7:37 am

One that I have read several times and always comes to mind for me, is The Girls by Lori Lansen. A beautifully written story about personal identity, unconditional love and personal growth. This book stayed with me long after I had finished it. 🙏

• Gary K 22nd September 2021 at 11:26 am

Not one book, but a small series. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson (the first six books anyway – those that came afterwards so/so). Its epic fantasy, the central character is a leprosy sufferer, rejected by his family and community, and becomes a reluctant hero in his fantasy world when he suffers trauma in our world and loses consciousness.
      It resonated with me because I had lymphoma when I read the first book (38 years ago now), and felt like I had this uncontrollable invisible thing gnawing away inside me. I’ve read all the books in the saga (18 in total I think), but the first three are amazing, and the next three really finish it up. I have read those six probably four times now.

• MalcolmC 22nd September 2021 at 10:28 pm

A book that I was surprised by was Renains Of The Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I started to read it because a friend recommended it but I was dubious as I thought it would be boring. I was totally wrong and was entralled by the emotion of the story. Beautifully written and well deserving of the awards. I highly recommend it.

• JanD66 23rd September 2021 at 11:15 am

Shantaram by David Gregory Roberts. It’s quite a tome at 932 pages but well worth the read. I recommended it to all of my colleagues and they loved it too. It delves into the world of drug addiction, the Indian ‘Mafia’, slum dwelling (of which I knew absolutely nothing) and the lengths people will go to, to survive. It also has a love story running through it although that isn’t the main topic of the book. The author is an Australian ex-bank robber, ex-heroin addict and former Australian prison inmate who escaped to Bombay and helped set up free health care in the slums there during the 1980’s. It is semi-autobiographical apparently.

• Mandy07 24th September 2021 at 8:01 pm

Star of the Sea by Joseph O’Connor. It is a gripping story about a ship bound for America. It is the only book I have read twice. Brilliant !

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 25th September 2021 at 7:58 am
    • George W 25th September 2021 at 8:38 am

One that really surprised me as I thought it would be dry as dust was Canterbury Tales .Despite being written in late 13th Century in Middle English it was very entertaining,surprisingly easy to read,humorous and risqué .

Add