Home Forums General What’s in your fridge right at this moment?...

Gill B Posted 1 year ago
What’s in your fridge right at this moment? Tell us what is the healthiest / least healthy / most indulgent item?

After a shop my fridge is burgeoning with produce .. mainly soft fruit and veg (its not a big fridge) and the usual dairy and meat products.

However it often gets down to the last couple of bendy carrots, no cheese and eeking out the last of the milk before I manage to get out to the shops to replenish.

Grocery shopping has never been my thing – so essentials such as loo rolls usually dictate when I really must go again!

The healthiest thing in my fridge at the moment is some soft fruit .. and the unhealthiest or indulgent item is probably a packet of sausages. Anything food more naughty than that will have been eaten immediately it arrived!!!

3 likes & 83 replies
    • Dc forever 16th January 2021 at 8:41 am

Tesco’s where are you 🤔 Just a block of cheese atm 🙄

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 12:16 pm

Well DC forever, you can’t beat a block of cheese in your fridge that’s for sure!! Always handy. Are you waiting for the home delivery? I guess so.. I have replenished mine this morning shopping for me and a lock down friend in the pouring, sleety rain .. drowned as a rat when I arrived home and I hadn’t been outside that long… wet cold rain!!

Enjoy your cheese and hope Tescos arrive soon!!

• AntrimPotter 16th January 2021 at 9:02 am

Your fridge sounds normal Gill, mines is full of crap. I think there is a drawer full of veg probably waiting till it’s use before date, but there’s definitely a pack of pork pies with my name on them.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 12:21 pm

Its not really what’s in your fridge that counts, its the conversation we might all enjoy… I think we all have a fridge don’t we?

Mine has had its moments of being full of crap and old veggies that need to be thrown out. In fact, I have had the bare minimum in my fridge in the past when working a 60 hour week (no stamina for that these days!) .. and scrabbling around for anything to brighten up a bit of bread!

Now I am cooking again … and I shop for a lockdown friend – that does mean I am making weekly trips to the supermarket (that term! Showing my age I am sure) .. there is always something in it that can be eaten!

Pork Pies!! Many would agree with you there .. and fight you for it, but not me. I don’t really like cold pies I think that’s the thing. I wonder if you can eat it hot .. probably doesn’t work!

Cornish pastie – yeah, I’d go for a short crust pastry cornish pastie but it has to be hot!!

• vaughanpauline 16th January 2021 at 9:54 am

My fridge is heaving after supermarket delivery yesterday.

The healthiest thing is the tofu x 2 some of which I used yesterday for tofu and veg fritters.

The u healthiest thing is the brandy butter left over from Christmas.

In between there’s pleanty of veg including fennel which I need to find a good recipe for.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 12:28 pm

Fennel and fish is lovely combo .. white fish. I have never cooked but I have eaten it in some great restaurants! Mind you, maybe you are a veggie (reference tofu) .. so fennel is quite a delicate but very definite flavour. You certainly know what it is. I guess it can’t be with anything that is going to fight for it in flavour. Hmmm. Just thinking .. Out of curiosity I just googled .. Braised fennel with apricots and figs .. ooh that sounds right up my street!

Can’t believe you still have brandy butter lurking uneaten in your fridge. I think I would even have had it on bread by now. Lol

I have some tofu .. I bought some. Should I have put it in the fridge? Mine is a carton. I need to remember it use it .. but not sure what to do with it. I have eaten it before now but not cooked with it. I must remember. May do a curry. Probably quite nice with the butter nut squash I also have in my fridge.. hmmm

• vaughanpauline 16th January 2021 at 12:46 pm

I love both your fennel ideas, it’s something I only buy occasionally but love. I’ll Google both your suggestions for recipes. I do eat fish and have some whit fish in the freezer.

Some tofu is long life and fine in the cupboard I prefer the chilled it’s tastier and better consistency.
          I like to make a bacon substitute with it. Just drain it and press the excess water out, then slice it. Marinate it in a mix of tomato pase and Worcester sauce. Let it soak in preferably overnight then fry. Very tasty.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 1:20 pm

Oh wow.. thanks for that! I have just taken a photo of your suggestion on my phone. Sounds delicious.

Once I understand the product I will be able to experiment, but I know so little about it aside from remembering it being a bit like chicken. I didn’t know it was in liquid and I didn’t know you could press it. I have food sorted for this weekend, but maybe I ought to put it on the menu for next weekend.

Can you freeze a dish made with tofu? I guess so, but ought to ask. As I only cook for one, I divide what I cook into portions for freezing and using on the ‘need something quick and easy’ days.

• vaughanpauline 16th January 2021 at 1:33 pm

Tofu has a high water content so it cooks better if you drain and press it first. Do a you tube search and you will see what I mean.

I’ve never tried freezing it. I tend to keep it in a plastic box on the fridge once I’ve opened it.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 1:40 pm

Thanks so much for the tips..

• VFP 16th January 2021 at 4:33 pm

I have attached a simple recipe for root veg couscous, and it uses a fennel bulb. Hope you like it!

• vaughanpauline 16th January 2021 at 4:40 pm

Thanks I’ve done a screen shot and will try it.

I’ve just made a risotto with rice, roasted fennel, lemon juice, black beans, kale and lemon juice.

It was OK but nothing special.

Enough left the to feed an army. I always cook for a family.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 4:42 pm

Always difficult to do risotto for one ..

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 4:41 pm

That sounds delicious .. I have never steamed couscous in muslin or any other way, but I can imagine the flavour that it will pick up from the veg and spices beneath! Thank you Viv

• VFP 16th January 2021 at 4:46 pm

To be honest, Gill, I don’t bother steam the couscous over the pot – just prepare it as normal. It still tastes lovely 🙂

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 4:49 pm

… well there was me impressed with your culinary prowess and feeling a little inadequate and ill equipped not to have a piece of muslin!! lol .. 🙂

• VFP 16th January 2021 at 5:03 pm

Nah, life’s too short 😊

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 5:04 pm

ha ha ha

• Yellow Socks 16th January 2021 at 10:16 am

A 3+ kilo slab of bone in locally produced belly pork, a 1.3 kilo black pudding sausage, 4 eggs , small mango, 3 limes, 1 pigs kidney, 1 actemel , 1 Haggis, tamarind, 3 streaky bacon rashers , a block of lard and 1 packet of real butter.
      Lots of space.
      My comfort food.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 12:32 pm

Wow. You have an interesting variety there .. and I had to google tamarind to find out why it might be in the fridge. ‘sweet tangy pulp’ in the pods. I don’t think I have tried it, not knowingly anyway. Would you use it with the belly pork?

I haven’t had kidney in years, but did used to like that as a child.

Haggis I love.

So what of that might you be eating today then? Hmmm If you were American you would have all of that on your plate at once, including the fruit!! Well maybe not the block of lard, but they would melt butter over anything! … they would need the actimel after all that lot! lol

• Yellow Socks 16th January 2021 at 12:44 pm

Hello no tamarind with pork. For Pad Thai.
          I think I will fry some slicers of belly pork later.
          It is not very nice outside. Today it is an indoors and eating day.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 1:13 pm

Sounds delicious.

It is definitely an indoors day if you don’t have a dog to walk, and even then its a quick walk and back into the warm. My home is very cosy, and I am enjoying pottering around on this website! lol

I will definitely have had tamarind in Thai, chinese or Indian dishes I would think. Just looked up Pad Thai sounds delicious.

Hasn’t our lives changed since we were kids with foods from different countries becoming part of our own Britishness? I remember trying chinese for the first time as a teenager. Then going to an indian restaurant for the first time. Then buying Indian and Chinese cookery books from Marks and Spencer, and getting stuck in with the different recipes, creating several dishes for one meal to share with friends or family. In my life work got in the way and cooking became a chore rather than a hobby or an experiment! I am finding my feet again with it all which is a real positive!

• Somethingshort 19th January 2021 at 7:57 pm

I remember that first Chinese Take Away…..and the first Indian Curry I ever tasted. OMG……….my taste buds were exploding and went to heaven. To think that a red/green pepper was exotic when I was 15. We have lived in fortunate times to have tried and can try anything and everything. However, I would love it if supermarkets went back to things in season. Living in Holland was a delight. You had vegetables in season there…..and Dutch vegetables. You didn’t have to search the shelves for stuff that hadn’t travelled far and you could tell the season by the local fruit and veg.

• Gill B 19th January 2021 at 9:39 pm

We have been spoilt for too long – I tend to buy the same veg anyway .. but I could cope with seasonable. I am sure that is what we were brought up on! Might happen more as the cheaper veg will be the seasonal and not coming from Europe ..

• Somethingshort 16th January 2021 at 11:53 am

My fridge is fine. I’m eating the fridge at the moment, waiting for the next big shop which I am trying to put off – forever…….

However……..I have this huge box of maltesers and am limiting myself to five a day! I keep putting them in a hiding place and forgetting where I put them. This afternoon I found them in the coal bucket! Well, I did have a couple of glasses of wine last night…..but really…..the coal bucket??? Needless to say, I get grumpy when I can’t find my sugar fix easily.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 12:39 pm

So funny re maltesers. My question has made you open your fridge door and see the very thing you are trying to resist .. oh not ..they will be nagging at you, urging you to let them out of the packet!! lol.

Oh I put off shopping too .. well I think I said that before. When the loo roll or tissues are running out I know my time is up, and I must venture forth. Fortunately our Sainsburys is a reasonable size (Tescos is huge – I really don’t have time for that), and not too crowded at any time, so I its not so bad going around there!

Love your picture by the way lol

Thanks for joining in!

• Somethingshort 16th January 2021 at 1:15 pm

Don’t keep the wine in the fridge! Keep the champers in there…….and the maltesers.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 1:27 pm

Ha ha ha …. I had to remove my bottle of champers from the fridge because it took up too much room.

I don’t drink hardly ever .. so always a good person to have around to do the driving (when we are allowed out), but I do like a little bubbly. However I can’t open the bottle because I can only manage one glass … so it was given to me two years ago for my 60th, and it remains in the cupboard for when I can share it with friends! At least it doesn’t go off!!

• Shirlann 16th January 2021 at 3:48 pm

Pretty empty some eggs feta cheese lettuce couple tomatoes milk and pineapple juice 😁

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 4:47 pm

I wonder which of these is the most enticing Shirlann. I really struggle with salad on cold days … for my main meal at least, I do like hot food.

Your fridge sounds like mine in the past .. I think I should be quite proud of mine although it is small and I can’t reach the top shelves very easily. Sometimes its a case of reaching out to the top shelf for the thing I need and shutting my eyes in case something comes crashing down!

What are you going to be eating tonight? Is it in the freezer or takeaway.

Thanks for joining in!

• Shirlann 16th January 2021 at 8:29 pm

We run a fish and chip shop so will be what’s left over when we close 😁not good job for the waistline 🙄😬

• GreginYorkshire 16th January 2021 at 4:19 pm

Actimel and tomatoes… but there is a pork pie in ther too 😉

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 4:50 pm

Pleased to note that actimel is available to aid the digestion (or so they say) … pork pie and tomato could be tasty, although I only eat pork pies if desperate (i.e. nothing else to eat). Thanks for sharing …

• GreginYorkshire 18th January 2021 at 10:36 am

It was the day before the supermarket delivery, so supplies have been replenished now thank goodness. I do like Actimel, it helps if you are ever on a course of antibiotics, it was recommended to me by a medic 🙂 x

• Gill B 18th January 2021 at 8:20 pm

Lovely to have a full fridge although I can’t reach half my shelves and have to close my eyes when grappling for something else jumps out at the same time! Lol.

I had hear that about antibiotics and probiotics. Also live yoghurt. Coates the stomach or something. 😊

• GreginYorkshire 19th January 2021 at 11:46 am

He he, torture when a chocolate biscuit jumps into your hand 🙂 Antibiotics kills the friendly bacteria which you need to digest food properly, so probioticss replenishes just those. All good stuff x

• Gill B 19th January 2021 at 6:33 pm

No chocolate of any kind lasts long enough to be in the fridge and drop into my hand…I daren’t buy any lol!!!

• loislane 16th January 2021 at 4:56 pm

Grapes, blueberries, eggs, Charlie Bigham curry which is lovely, I can’t cook like that, G&T which is naughty.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 5:03 pm

An enticing choice Loislane. Charlie Bigham curry .. hmm might have to investigate that one! Just googled, he is a nice looking chap inviting us into his pantry to choose what we might eat. Is he local to you? Oh I see they sell him at my local HUGE Tescos where I get lost and can’t find a thing in .. plus I have to have a pesky £ to have a trolley!! We have something called Cook (or website cooknet. somethingorother ) who were based in Kent/East Sussex and produce delicious meals to cook from frozen. Sold online and through franchises or in small retail stores. Great food and a huge range of products from little one pot snacky meals to meals for up to four people …. anyway I digress.

Is the curry for tonight do you think? Along with a naughty G&T?
        Enjoy!

• loislane 16th January 2021 at 6:08 pm

The curry is for tonight, along with the G&T, he makes a whole range of different foods, and they are delicious, either meals for one or for two, Waitrose has a bigger range than Tesco.

• Dc forever 16th January 2021 at 5:25 pm

Thankyou Tesco’s. Just to let everyone know 😃 I now have food, having my favourite dish spaghetti bolonaze tonight, enjoy your nibbles everyone…

• Carolanne 16th January 2021 at 9:03 pm

Mine has chicken for my dogs, homemade coleslaw, green salad, yogurt and cheese and chocolate left over from Christmas and milk. Not very inspiring in afraid. Now where’s that Chinese take out menu. He he .

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 9:26 pm

I love a homemade coleslaw Carolanne and I can do a healthier more tasty version than the shops!! I’d never have chocolate left over from Christmas!! That is amazing!!!

Lol Re the Chinese!!

• Carolanne 16th January 2021 at 9:49 pm

I like to add grated beetroot to my coleslaw it turns it Pink but tastes lovely.

• Gill B 16th January 2021 at 9:53 pm

That’s interesting. I can probably cope with grated beetroot but I don’t usually like it.
        I usually make red cabbage coleslaw and Chuck anything in from carrots, sultanas, spring onions, peppers, nuts, …

• Marica 16th January 2021 at 11:03 pm

Don’t laugh , I have 3 fridges which is ridiculous for me and my son but there was a reason! But the food in there and the explanation of it all would take up most of this page.! However, I do like a bit of hummus in my fridge (no , it does not take up 3 fridges !) But I rarely run out of food , that’s for sure

• Gill B 17th January 2021 at 7:19 am

That is funny. I have friends that have two and one is a drinks fridge! Their other fridge is a full height American style. It’s always got fresh stuff in it and hard of chutney and jam.

Your son would miss the three fridges I’m sure as he can scavenge at any time day or night and find a welcome treat to eat!

I like a bit of hummus but rarely buy it.

• Marica 18th January 2021 at 4:09 pm

Well ,one of the very small fridges was purely for me and any dietary food I had and the larger fridge is for extra food and main meals . The small mid range fridge was bought purely when my husband was alive as we had 4 lots of carers coming in and they just helped themselves to whatever without asking and food just disappeared. So that fridge was purely for them to use to get my husbands mid afternoon tea and lunch. It worked well and now my son uses it for his main stuff with the bigger fridge for both of us

• Somethingshort 18th January 2021 at 11:36 am

Some interesting things in the freezer: Sliced lemons in the ice cube drawer. I never throw citrus fruits away, they end up as ice cubes. Same with grapes. A glass of ice cold water (and our tap water is like champagne!) and a fruity ice cube is just……..mwah!

• Gill B 18th January 2021 at 3:23 pm

Very interesting freezer. You also have a posh one with an ‘ice cube drawer’!!

Then I thought you don’t have much in your freezer (I am sure you do) which then drifted my thoughts to years ago when I worked long hours and did very little cooking (we ate out a lot). I had a small chest freezer. It was so empty that for me to get anything out of it I had to almost fall in (I am only short)!!

Lol. I then tried filling it with cardboard boxes!! In the end I gave it to a friend.

Now I have a small three shelf freezer which is filled with ingredients with which to rustle up a meal, or food I have cooked bagged into single portions.

All that has nothing to do with the things you like to turn to ice in your freezer of course!! Especially the champagne tasting tap water. You just lie near a natural spring!! 😊

• Somethingshort 18th January 2021 at 5:34 pm

I laughed Gill…….why is it that all-short-women-have-chest-freezers. It’s true. I had one once. Never again for the same reasons as you describe.
          Our freezer is rammed – putting it mildly. However, with one vegetarian, one meat eater – it is extremely separate and organised. Living a 24 mile round trip from the nearest supermarket makes one be a tadge “organised”. I hate it – it does not suit, but if we dare to get any meat next to anything vegetarian – there will be a divorce! Of course, if we get snowed in…….then the freezer comes into its own. And yes…..it has happened on occasion. Unless the electricity goes off……and the wires come down. Then we have to get out the generator………….

• Gill B 18th January 2021 at 8:08 pm

Well and wheelie bins are a whole other story. Try getting a inch of keys out that you have accidentally dropped because they were in your hand when putting the rubbish out!!! I am sure you can imagine the picture! 😂 😂 😂

Not to mention the enormous boot I had in one of my cars. I couldn’t reach the far end. I had to put a blanket over the cill (so I didn’t get muddy and scrabble towards the back of the boot with barely one foot on the ground!

• Gill B 18th January 2021 at 8:13 pm

Ah yes. I think you said you were from Wales and north (?) I keep someone who lived in Barmouth and B & Q was a day out. We take so much for granted! Do you really have sheep you mentioned those the other day!

Of course you have to be organised. I just lost my domesticity for over 30 years when my husband and I both had good jobs. Didn’t even have to clean. Still it all came flooding back to me when it needed to and even as I write dinner of salmon is on the go!!

I need to remember when I hear your voice as I read that it’s a Welsh one lol

• Marica 18th January 2021 at 4:05 pm

Ah , thank you for the tip on grapes although I rarely have any left , i can go through a whole punnet in one sitting. But useful

• Sue 12 18th January 2021 at 9:28 pm

I’ve got chocolate, coleslaw, butter and yoghurt, not exactly the healthy options lol.

• Gill B 18th January 2021 at 9:56 pm

I like a bit of coleslaw although not with chocolate! Also chocolate really wouldn’t stay long in my fridge so I daren’t buy it at all! Eat keep it away until I can show more control! Lol

Yoghurt is good though.

Thanks for sharing!

• Josie The Black Country Wench 19th January 2021 at 9:30 am

I’ve got goat yoghurt, almond milk and goat cheese. The fridge is also full of other stuff. My son in law is staying with us and he is a chef so he organises the fridge. My fridge has never been so healthy with all the food in date

• Gill B 19th January 2021 at 6:41 pm

Well it would be lovely to have your son-in -law around so I didn’t have to think what i am going to cook – or leave it too late and just have something quick… I think he would be frustrated at how small my fridge is though!

I love goats cheese – warm at least. I have never bought it though, only eaten in those places we used to call restaurants!!

• Josie The Black Country Wench 19th January 2021 at 10:28 pm

Yeah restaurants I vaguely remember those. Goat dairy products are my go to I am allergic to cows dairy products. Goat cheese is so yummy and comes in many varieties. Discovered a place called the Smiling Goat Deli in Gloucestershire. They have goat brie and goat gouda. I was in heaven.

• Gill B 20th January 2021 at 6:36 am

Wow. Delicious. I like pecorino (sheep) cheese too.

• Josie The Black Country Wench 20th January 2021 at 7:23 am

All this talk of food. Gonna have to put some pecorino on my next food order. By the way sorted the predictive text out. Thanks to your advice and a little help from hubby.

• Gill B 20th January 2021 at 2:50 pm

They have their uses. They Understand computer settings but not always the female
          Settings! Lol

Enjoy the pecorino. It’s like a cheddar so a hard cheese or even a Parmesan. First had it in Italy and wondered what it would be like.

• Deleted User 19th January 2021 at 9:48 am

Salad leaves and chocolate rocky road log

• Gill B 19th January 2021 at 6:36 pm

Interesting! I only like salad in the warmer weather .. but a rocky road anytime! Thanks for joining in Rosie…

• VFP 19th January 2021 at 9:56 am

Healthiest – broccoli, and there is nothing unhealthy or indulgent in the fridge. In fact there is almost nothing in the fridge! I like your new photo, by the way 🙂

• Gill B 19th January 2021 at 6:38 pm

Hi Viv .. nothing unhealthy .. mightily impressive. Mind you I could a block of cheese unhealthy .. and some wouldn’t.

Thanks re photo. Very recent .. start of this month .. noticed I had one on my laptop and uploaded it. So somewhat more recent than 4 years ago. I prefer the other one, but just trying to keep it real!! lol

• VFP 19th January 2021 at 7:23 pm

I did some shopping earlier (phew!) but still no unhealthy foods, as I don’t count cheese as unhealthy 😁. I ate so much chocolate in December that I decided to have nothing sweet this month, except fruits and I cheat with dried fruit. It is not easy, but it will make my dentist happy. Re photo, you haven’t changed much, you still have that delightful smile.

• Gill B 19th January 2021 at 9:42 pm

Aw thank you .. I like any opportunity to smile .. I am not a scowler .. although I have a serious face when concentrating!

Now dentists and teeth are so important now we are older .. trying to keep them all going as long as I can. I am fortunate to have healthy gums though .. not sure where that came from.

Nice to have choice in the fridge again … now I have to go to bed, I am yawning. This place is addictive all this chit chat that you can’t have on your own lol!

• BridgeBourne 20th January 2021 at 9:04 pm

Pretty much entire contents of fridge at the moment
      Top shelf full of multiple almost empty jars of jam that really need throwing out.
      Healthiest – skimmed milk; fresh tomatoes; tray of veg to be roasted tomorrow; chicken mince in passata sauce with butter beans for dinner tomorrow.
      Unhealthy – bottle of Westons cider; cheese;
      Luxury – milk chocolate which is last of Christmas haul and I am trying to convince myself I haven’t still got.

• Gill B 23rd January 2021 at 10:30 pm

I seem to have those jars and sauces on my top shelf too .. can’t reach them when I need them, and yes, out of date chutneys no doubt lurking up there too!!!

How on earth you still have christmas chocolate in your fridge completely baffles me!! Well done is what I say!

• Jahbulon 22nd January 2021 at 2:42 am

I think there’s some bacon, but I haven’t seen it recently.
      Bon appétit.

• Dollycon 24th January 2021 at 11:09 am

All healthy as we are vegan this month-fruit, veg, tofu, tempe, oat milk. Aldi avocado smash is really good

• Gill B 24th January 2021 at 11:13 am

avocado smash – is that as in smash mashed potato with avocado thrown in? That sounds delish. Mind you I also like avo and bacon so no good for you!

All very healthy .. marvellous!

• Dollycon 24th January 2021 at 11:21 am

No avacado, lime, chilli it’s similar to guacamole. If you’re in Aldi check it out, we tried one then bought 5 more!

• Gill B 24th January 2021 at 2:13 pm

I will. I get my fruit and veg from aldi each week: a convert having shopped for a fried during lockdown. Such good value and good quality!

• Gill B 19th January 2021 at 9:37 pm

Is there room for wine? I have had wine in mine over the years, but my fridge isn’t very big and has to be taken out all the time! I rarely drink.. so always good to have around to do the driving.

Quite a healthy fridge I might say!! very good..

Add