Home Forums General What’s folks got planned for the weekend

Woodcrafter-Keith Posted 4 months ago
What’s folks got planned for the weekend

My weekend starts now , I’m normally off Friday, Saturday and Sunday although I tend to go into work to work on my woodcrafts either Friday or Saturday or both if I have lots of orders to do

I only have 4 or 5 to do for bespoke wooden trays to do this week so will go in on Saturday

So plenty of free time to do as I please this weekend

8 likes & 139 replies
    • SteveKent 20th January 2022 at 8:21 pm

Sunday coppicing, will try and walk on the beach before then, was out today but very chilly with the wind

• Tambos57 20th January 2022 at 8:39 pm

No plans yet but defo a walk if this weather continues.

• SteveInWales 20th January 2022 at 8:53 pm

I’m off to Ilfracombe on Saturday until Monday. I got a booking.com deal on a hotel at £67 for two nights 😁

• Linpap 20th January 2022 at 8:59 pm

I love Ilfracombe my stepdaughter lives there some great cliff walks along the Torrs trail

• Trampus 28th January 2022 at 9:12 am

I adore Ilfracombe, we spent a week there 3 years ago. Right down on the front, a little hotel. Absolutely superb and such stunning scenery. Many, many pics, lol

• Chojo 20th January 2022 at 8:55 pm

Tomorrow I have an eye test, a doctors appointment then a meeting with a solicitor, Saturday it’s a interview with universal credit, a scan on my shoulder and an appointment with the carers centre. Sunday my brothers coming to help me get some stuff to the tip!
      Not a very relaxing weekend especially as I think I’m starting with a cold, it’s been coming and going for a day or two now but when I got back from town today it’s really starting to kick in.
      I’ve done 2 Covid tests just in case and both negative so I’m hoping it’s just a cold!

• kernowboy2 20th January 2022 at 10:40 pm

Off to my little farm on saturday to grow my own food

• Woodcrafter-Keith 20th January 2022 at 10:43 pm

Ooh nice

• Linde 21st January 2022 at 10:14 pm

Sounds great, kernowboy, I wonder where you had got to! Sounds great, growing your own fruit and veg and so much healthier ! Have a great day!

• kernowboy2 23rd January 2022 at 9:12 pm

Morning Linde. Yes i dropped out for a while but like a bad penny I am back again :). Living in the tropics at the moment so growing pineapples, watermelons, chilies, local root crops and greens etc.

• Linde 24th January 2022 at 4:52 am

Good morning, kernowboy, are you having me on? I can’t fathom how you got out and more to the points- into another country at this unsteady time! Good luck to you, if you managed t, it’s more than my son can say! He can’t even enter the land of his ‘forefathers’ , the restrictions are that severe. But that’s another story. All the best, Linde.

• kernowboy2 24th January 2022 at 9:12 pm

I managed to get back to the Uk and out again last November……anything is possible with the right paperwork and parachute

• Flufff 20th January 2022 at 11:44 pm

Celebrating my eldest daughter’s 21st b’day.at the former Mrs Fluff’s Mother’s down Seaton Sluice, Northumberland. ‘Ooh, a love cake, me’ 🙂

• Terry75 21st January 2022 at 4:13 am

Guitar and gardening. Need to get the back turned over ready for some first earlies going in and then got a new fx pedal arriving as I’m really liking the sound of “ambient” guitar.

• Di2 21st January 2022 at 8:20 am

Visit to the hairdressers in the morning, then my granddaughters coming for a sleepover. Then a nicelong walk on Sunday afternoon.

• Mad Ralph 21st January 2022 at 8:29 am

No plans for me, I’ve been a bit under the weather lately so I’m going to take it easy and relax. Pretty much what I do every day really 😂😎

• Josie123 21st January 2022 at 9:59 am

I work Monday to Thursday so today (Friday) I’m off to the dentist, praying he won’t yank another tooth like last time! He’s a bit of a butcher but at least I have a dentist to see, I suppose. Sigh.
      Then food shopping and, as I managed to prep and load all my lessons for next week yesterday (I worked for 16 hours straight to do it, lol!), apart from the daily dog walks, I’m doing nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch.
      Bliss 😊

• Trampus 21st January 2022 at 10:24 am

Little shopping, then coffee with a friend, pizza and a glass of wine and the TV tonight. Still not into going out much

• Lookforwardnotback 21st January 2022 at 10:37 am

Hi not sure where you all live but if anyone is interested in a canal walk in ponty tomos let me know. My partner is off to support his beloved Everton so am a football widow …other than that am making sweet potato cakes, sugar free chocs 😋 and snack bars…trying to lose this xmas indulgence 🤣 been on a 5 day sugar free challenge – it was amazing – i am on it now to get my spring body 🤣

• HH 2021 21st January 2022 at 10:52 am

Nowt! Skint until Pay day, dear god! 😳

• Woodcrafter-Keith 21st January 2022 at 12:30 pm

Just want to say thanks for the way everyone’s engaged with my posts this ones up to 52 replies and my last ones in the 70s you’ve made me feel very welcome and I’m thoroughly enjoying being here
      This is like a lot of things though isn’t it the more you put into it the more you get out of it
      It’s no use joining then saying its boring when you’ve not engaged with the conversations

• Robert K 21st January 2022 at 1:23 pm

Couldn’t agree more.

No one is judging here – if you want to say something go for it!

It doesn’t answer the mystery of all the people who post once and dissappear – why?

• Linde 22nd January 2022 at 9:07 am

Too true, woodcrafter. Nice to know you get some support here, makes you feel you are not the only one having a hard time.
        ,your trade/ skill is interesting to start with. You are working with natural ‘ingredients’, so to speak. That’s always special.
        I am more a handicraft person, very satisfying nonetheless, knitting, sewing, making puppets for grand children,… I let them choose the wool, style, colours via FaceTime, then I set to work. Have just bought a childrens weaving loom for grand daughter’s birthday next month, wish I had got one for myself as well!have a good weekend! All the best, Linde

• Woodcrafter-Keith 24th January 2022 at 9:35 pm

Thanks Linde yes I love working with wood very satisfying

Bet your granddaughter will love that

• Linde 25th January 2022 at 4:09 pm

Dear Keith, seeing that you are such an enthusiast, would you consider making me a vase, possibly rectangular base, out of wood, and some yellow tulips to go with it? I once bought something similar, wooden flowers, at a market . My daughter and husband have just built in a new kitchen in dark grey, She lives in LA, so the lighter the wood the better (postage!)
          Let me know if you are interested, I’d pay you of course, looking forward to hearing from you, Linde

• backofbeyond 21st January 2022 at 1:09 pm

It certainly is a long month. The bills are piling up and the tax man is looming on next week’s horizon but it feels like an eternity until any more money comes in.

This part of the year certainly qualifies as dynamic poverty – all I get to do is wave at my income as it it comes in on one hand, passes straight by me without stopping and vanishes out on the other.

I’m planning on going out running for a few hours on Sunday; at least it doesn’t cost anything!

• Josie123 21st January 2022 at 1:15 pm

Running for a few HOURS? My knees would be locking up in protest!

• backofbeyond 21st January 2022 at 1:52 pm

I think my knees are about the only part of me that isn’t complaining at the moment. The cold weather seems to get colder as you get older. Both my wife and I have signed up for (separate) sporting events in the late spring and it’s now or never with the training needed to do them. Plus, it’s a cheap way of warming up now that I can’t afford the gas bill!

• Josie123 21st January 2022 at 2:02 pm

This is true. I have an indoor mini trampoline thing (that probably drives my neighbours nuts!), and have turned down the heating for the same reason. I hate being cold but needs must. I currently look like the Michelin man with all the layers I’m sporting! Enjoy your run/sports, both of you!

• Linde 25th January 2022 at 9:04 am

That’s what I call surviving skills! Your description of the money just running by you is absolutely spot on! It takes some doing to have that sense of humour still in tact in the face of adversity!! Well said, keep going! Linde

• CastlegreenBobby 30th January 2022 at 4:05 pm

Ive just posted on: Sharing top tips on saving money (on here)….I think more and more people are going to need it with inflation flying up like your income flying out

• Sue47 21st January 2022 at 1:58 pm

After a hectic week – who said I’d have time to relax in retirement? – my weekend started at 9am when the mog reminded me it was past time for his breakfast. A session on the treadmill, some filing, brunch, replying to emails, back on the treadmill, ironing, this afternoon a catnap, meet friends for a cuppa later, back home and back on the treadmill, zoom meeting this evening, sewing stool needs a clear-out, back on the treadmill then bed. I should explain I only manage 5/6 minutes on the treadmill 3 or 4 times a day but I love it and without it my lungs wouldn’t work too well (COPD). Sat and Sun much the same, pottering and zoom meetings for the charity I volunteer for. Only Friday afternoon and I’m exhausted just thinking about it!

• Dee65 22nd January 2022 at 7:08 pm

Taking my son to his girlfriend’s tomorrow, then Monday will be picking his girlfriend up to take her to their new flat. My son is setting off early to pick up the keys to their new place, while she has to wait for the van to pick up her furniture. As they haven’t been able to see the flat yet, only virtually, it is going to be exciting for them. Wish I felt the same, I am going to miss him terribly. I have been lucky to have him at home for the past 4 1/2 years since he finished Uni though, so shouldn’t complain, he is 28 years old now and I know it’s time.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 22nd January 2022 at 7:23 pm

Awww yes mixed emotions
        Me and my ex partner and her two children moved from Fife to Cornwall to a bungalow we had only seen photos of courtesy of my parents viewing it for us in 2007

• Dee65 25th January 2022 at 8:04 pm

Hope it all worked out well even without the viewing, nice if you can trust the judgment of family to choose the right place for you. Sorry that your relationship didn’t work out though.

• Linde 25th January 2022 at 5:56 am

Sad though, just the same, however old they are, and however many times you tell yourself that’s life. You are all having to get used to a new situation, that’s never easy. Anyway, hope all went well, and you’ll soon be invited over! At least you will still be able to see him, which hasn’t been the case with family over the past two years, due to the dreaded covid..Best of luck, Dee, Linde

• Dee65 25th January 2022 at 8:07 pm

Thanks @Linde it’s quite true it doesn’t matter what age they are, and I should be really grateful for having him at home this long. Some leave home at 16, so at 28 he has finally flown the nest. Tired after the move, it went well but with 4 flights of stairs to negotiate and him having to help the removal men (it was a cheap removal with mostly his girlfriend’s furniture), it was quite a day. I did my best but with a lower back problem and a severed tendon in one arm I have to be careful just how much I carry, but did try and help.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 25th January 2022 at 8:31 pm

But you were there for moral support and tea making

I left home at 16 went back a few times after though lol for short stays between jobs etc

• Dee65 27th January 2022 at 7:19 pm

Never got a cup of tea, in fact didn’t have anything all day just one coffee before leaving home and a small drink of juice. My son doesn’t drink tea these days and not sure about his girlfriend, they had street food in Morrisons Car Park and I had a pork pie lol

• Woodcrafter-Keith 27th January 2022 at 7:35 pm

Oh dear lol

• Linde 26th January 2022 at 5:48 am

Well done Dee, it couldn’t have been easy.especially all the carrying and shifting and lifting! I sometimes want to move to a modern little flat where I wouldn’t have to think about the roof falling in , plus the ceiling( it’s a long saga, you might have missed all the excitement!), but then I look at all the books etc, and the thought just vanishes!
        Coming back to your situation: give yourself a little time to adjust, it’s like loosing a good friend/ companion. Do some nice things you have wanted to do for ages, and probably never found the time for. . As I said, your son is still in this country.
        When my daughter, then aged about 36, rang me from the airport before flying off to a new life with her Spanish-American husband, she said: I am scared, mum”, I felt my world falling apart. I just wanted to comfort her, but couldn’t. That was the hardest part. But we survive, and happy to say she has managed really well, has 2 little ones, all lively and busy, a good husband, studied some more and training to become a Councellor with children, young mothers, etc.
        sorry I have poured all that out, I wish you well, anyway. Keep in touch if you want to . All the best, Linde

• Dee65 27th January 2022 at 7:24 pm

Please do pour it out, we sometimes need to get things off our chest, I know I do and talking really helps. Feeling much better today, haven’t cried as such and then got a message asking if I can go and get rid of some rubbish for them, as there doesn’t appear to be any wheelie bins, just able to put a bag of rubbish outside. How does that work I wonder, told him to get in touch with the Council and ask what his Council Tax is supposed to be paying for. Anyway needless to say I will go and pick it up for him, mostly stuff they can’t store and needs tipping like boxes etc. Must have been really bad for you with your daughter going so far away, I know I felt bad enough when my daughter moved to Wales, especially since it was to live with someone she hadn’t know 2 mins, and after a longer relationship which had finished. Anyway 3 years down the line she is happy so sometimes we just have to let go and let them fly. I have missed your previous saga and excitement, and get chance to come in here everyday, but it seems a nice place to chat and meet (virtually) different people.

• Linde 27th January 2022 at 8:00 pm

Thank you, Dee, you are right, sometimes it just has to be shared, or it will wear you down. Anyway, you are on the right road, keep being around and the young ones will get to appreciate your life experience! (Hopefully!)
          Going back to ‘the saga’ , we had water coming into my sons bedroom, 5 quotes, all saying different things that needed doing. Got used to idea of cost about £4000 , after the shock of insurance not including the roof among the building insurance! Have you ever heard of a house without a roof, I hear you ask. Well, apparently they had.
          Next: work starts. Boss climbs down the scaffolding to tell me the whole roof will need to be done.£9000. I nearly fainted !
          Glad to say I have sorted it now, but my goodness, they do like to keep you on your toes! So now you know why I like to do things where I am in control, e.g. learning languages. I choose, I set the pace, I do as I please! Never been so selfish in all my life!
          Do you live anywhere near me in Wiltshire, maybe? Speak again soon, I hope. Linde

• Dee65 12th February 2022 at 7:00 pm

Ouch to the cost of repairs. I definitely would have fainted lol Sorry do not live anywhere near Wiltshire, I live in Lincolnshire.

• Linde 12th February 2022 at 9:25 pm

Hello, again Dee, shame you don’t live nearer to me. How are you settling into the group? Hope you found some interesting things you can share with others. All the best, Linde

• Dee65 13th February 2022 at 4:11 pm

I don’t visit the forum that often but do enjoy it when I do thanks @Linde

• CastlegreenBobby 30th January 2022 at 4:08 pm

Dont count your chickens too soon.. Their generation is known as the boomerang generation

• Dee65 27th January 2022 at 7:25 pm

Meant to say I don’t get chance to come in here every day, not do get chance. Is there an edit button anywhere?

• Linpap 27th January 2022 at 9:34 pm

Ahhh WC-K your post has made it from one weekend to the next!! Now we can start finding out what everyone’s up to again … work for me this Saturday but then being taken out for dinner in the evening so not too shabby…

• Linde 27th January 2022 at 10:27 pm

Lucky you, Linpap! You have got things we’ll in hand! No plans here, I am afraid, felt really tired and listless today, so hoping it’s not the dreaded COVID! It shouldn’t be, I hardly get out at all, but people still call and are fairly careless as to mask wearing. Here is to warmer days and a bit more sunshine!

• Woodcrafter-Keith 27th January 2022 at 10:37 pm

Yes that’s true Linpap it’s certainly been a popular post

For me I’m normally off or free to do as I choose anyway, Friday Saturday and Sunday but tomorrow my boss Katie has asked me to work as weve got furniture to finish thats going out for delivery Sunday then, Saturday I’ve got 5 orders of my own to get done all bespoke trays, so Sunday is my only free day and I will be too knackered by then to do bugger all, I’m knackered tonight after working from 7.30 until 5 today getting tomorrow’s deliveries finished I normally finish at 3.30 but we had a lot to get finished today, so today I sanded and oiled 2 long monitor raisers, 6 desktops one of which needed 2 coats of a special oil each side and sanded a TV unit 3 of desktops needed an awful lot of sanding on the glue line where two boards had been joined I think I was almost to the point of crawling to my car when I left lol

• kernowboy2 27th January 2022 at 10:31 pm

Weeding my pineapples on Saturday but it bloody hot as hell here at the moment…..32 max and very humid…..sorry rubbing it in

• Linpap 27th January 2022 at 10:44 pm

Oh that’s just too hot and humid kernowboy don’t know how you manage it but I guess someone has to do it…😉

• Trampus 28th January 2022 at 9:13 am

Today (Friday) we have the grandaughter and youngest grandson for the day while mummy runs errands. Tomorrow is a walk around the castle and chinese for tea. Sunday, Lazy day

• Colin in Kent 28th January 2022 at 9:29 am

RPG session tonight via Discord and Roll20, tomorrow probably research for dissertation, Sunday my wife and I are meeting my brother at the cinema, then Sunday evening online meeting with son and daughter to do a virtual escape room.

• Di2 28th January 2022 at 11:58 pm

First aid course tomorrow, chores and walk on Sunday!

• Joliv1202 29th January 2022 at 8:46 am

Out with my sons future in laws tonight. At the moment I’m squashed to the edge of the bed by my two Labradors…yes they sleep on the bed with us…I get enough to lay on my side on the edge of the bed..

• Linde 12th February 2022 at 9:17 pm

Sounds painful! Don’t you tell them to move over?

• Joliv1202 12th February 2022 at 10:05 pm

They tend to ignore me, plus they are 32 and 36 kg each…so they take some shifting.. this is them when KevinBacon the black lab was about 8 months old, Indiana the choccie is 10 in April.

• madeleine45 29th January 2022 at 9:45 am

Having had a difficult week with my back, I am surrounded by loads of stuff that needs sorting and putting away and ironing etc, so know I wont do it all but hope to do a bit of clearing some of the mess, and there is a lot of paperwork stuff I should be doing. The flipping light bulb has gone in the main shade, but I shall have to wait until my friend calls (hopefully) as dare not try getting up on steps or anything today. But I shall be going out shortly for my little luxury. I dont buy a paper every day but do treat myself to The Yorkshire Post on a saturday. I get the news, and the magazine with crosswords and suduko etc etc, so I can pace the days boring jobs with coffee and a couple of pages of the paper to cheer myself up. Then I am looking forward so much to tomorrow as at last at last Hurray! The choir is starting rehearsals ready for the Swaledale Festival . Oh life looks up. Music is a very large part of my life and I have sung all my life. I have sung with this choir for 20 years but shielding and covid situation has meant I actually moved last year, and was hoping to stay with the choir to keep in touch with friends, but of course the covid situation stopped all that. So it is the start of what is normal for me, and of course I shall also be able to drive up swaledale after or before the rehearsal so it is a joy to look forward to. The weather may not be good but who cares?? So am trying to sort out the chaos today because shant be doing anything else tomorrow and I know that I shall return absolutely shattered but happy to be back in the old routine.

• Maryanne 29th January 2022 at 2:59 pm

My life seems boring after me and my man broke up, all l seem to do is go walking, sitting in the house doing nothing,apart from Friday, Saturday and Sunday when I go to work but am going to learn woodcarving something l always wanted to try.

• Linde 13th February 2022 at 7:27 am

Hello, Maryanne, good for you for having a new hobby in mind. I am sure it can be a useful and enjoyable activity!. Once you have mastered the basics you’ ll be enchanting us with your creations! Think of all the lovely presents you’ll be able to make!
        Life can seem very lonely at first when you lose someone, whichever way, you go through a process os grieving, loss, regrets. But in time it does get better . If you want to talk just message me, I am willing to listen any time. All the best, Linde

• Maryanne 13th February 2022 at 1:06 pm

Thank you this site is great, l do appreciate all yours comments it has gave me a lot to think about it’s time to do more rather than think about it.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 30th January 2022 at 4:34 pm

Heres what I spent 2 hrs on Saturday and 6 hours today doing the one in the top picture is over a metre long it’s going to be used on a table in the woods during a children’s birthday party apparently

• Maryanne 31st January 2022 at 12:08 pm

Thank you for sharing, l do like your work do you mind me asking what wood do you use? l am also trying to make a bench for my garden out of old decking, just can’t get the legs right first time useing a electric saw.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 31st January 2022 at 5:51 pm

Those are made from pine furniture boards my boss gets me when he’s getting his wood I also get a lot of Oak offcuts from my boss I use for various things

• Maryanne 1st February 2022 at 12:34 pm

Thank you l am just trying to get wood to do my wood carving it’s been hard trying to get small bits of wood,they are plenty of places to choose from but when l ask for small bits they don’t want to help see l have no were to big bits.
      Maryanne

• madeleine45 14th February 2022 at 7:41 am

Just enjoyed reading through all your replies and very interesting. So physically not good but mentally on top of the world. So on saturday i had the first rehearsal with the North YorkshireChoir in Northallerton. I have now moved here due to health reasons and have a ground floor flat. So have had to make the sad decision that I shall leave the Swale Singers this summer, but finishing in style as we are singing in Ripon Cathedral Messiah and it is the first concert of the Swaledale Festival. So on saturday I got everything ready as the wonderful Tudor Croft garden was open in Guisborough for snowdrops. Was in a really bad way and it took me more than an hour to get up showerd dressed and ready to go. I was hobbling rather than walking and if it had been anything but the snowdrops I wouldnt have gone. However I went and met many other galanthophiles and it was a joy to be able to look round the garden. Then came back to the NYC rehearsal and they are doing the DVorzac Stabat Mater. It was lovely to sing in a large choir again. Each type of choir has different possibilties with music, so smaller choirs can have wonderful intimate and in a good choir you get very good blending with about 4 to a part, but of course something like the Verdi Requiem you need a huge choir to have the electrifying Dies Irae. So havent sung the Stabat Mater for more than 20 years. Was quite pleased at how much I remembered and it is rousing and exciting to sing in a completely different style. Anyway got home very weary and full of aches and pains but worth it for the music. Bad night, back causing problems even more than usual but managed to get to choir though had to sit down and stand up by turns to try and keep going so tend to sit at one end and then if I need to can stand up quietly etc. Anyway we had a good rehearsal for the Messiah and so came home with joy in my heart to return to my beloved singing and all it means in my life. Paid for it in a lot of physical pain but worth it. So everywhere is a total shambles as cant bend or pick things up etc, and am just getting ready to go swimming. It is the one exercise I can do when things are difficult and they have a hoist thing to get me in and out of the water, so hope by this pm I shall be feeling a bit better. Was very exhausted last night. People do not realize how physical singing is. You need to hold yourself properly, breathe from the diaphragm etc and of course we are all out of practise due to covid situation so like athletes we must get back to proper training. When I lived in my house I could practise without any problem , disturbing neighbours. Now in a flat it is different so I have now devised a cunning plan Baldrick. I go out a little early for whatever I am doing then can pull into a layby out in the country and sit there going through music and sing with no one to be disturbed so if you pass by and see a woman on her own singing it could be me!! Hope y ou all have a good week and how lovely the mornings are a bit lighter every day. Best of luck to everyone for this week

Add