Home Forums General What was your first holiday abroad

Deleted User Posted 1 year ago
What was your first holiday abroad

South of France for me- think I was 14 going on 15.
Coach trip although I don’t recall that thankfully to a campsite in Antibes.

1 like & 49 replies
    • Vixster 10th May 2021 at 3:37 pm

I was 15 and went to Germany to visit my pen pal. Unfortunately my parents hadn’t booked me a cabin on the ferry so I had to spend most of the night at the disco. Luckily I couldn’t afford to drink much as once we docked in Hamburg I had to work out how to get to the small town where my pen pal lived. Once I finally got there I realised my German was pretty rubbish and had a week of being incredibly tired having to translate everything. Still, it was an experience!

• Deleted User 10th May 2021 at 4:20 pm

Hamburgs not the place to get lost either- real eye opener!

• Vixster 11th May 2021 at 10:09 am

Yes I can’t imagine parents nowadays letting their 15 year old child travel abroad by themselves without even a mobile phone but people are very resilient if they want to do something and I certainly wanted to travel.

• adeliza0165 10th May 2021 at 4:28 pm

Went poland with my mum to visit family when I was about 4 or 5. We went by ferry and trains and it took us about two days to get there. I can still remember the red/amber sunrise, some of the beautiful little islands as we went through the Netherlands/ Holland/ Belgium and the pretty countryside through Germany and Poland. I kept thinking to myself that we must nearly be there but we still had a way to go.

• Fuff 11th May 2021 at 2:39 pm

Went to Austria with my parents when I was 15, would love to go back. Would appreciate the beautiful scenery more now 😂

• Dink 11th May 2021 at 2:50 pm

School skiing trip to the Dolomites, Italy. Wonderful experience for someone who had previously only been to Anglesey

• LeighS 11th May 2021 at 9:41 pm

Norway, had my 4th birthday out there. Memorable highlight, a force 8 gale blowing us across the North Sea. Didn’t calm down until we reached the coastal waters close to Norway. I won’t go into to details but let me just say my mum and I were not very well for most of the voyage.

From then on we went approximately every 2 years. After the 2nd time we were camping. I stopped going with them after I turned 17. Norway is a beautiful country but as a child and teenager I didn’t appreciate it. Maybe one day I will finally get to go as an adult and finally see why my parents enjoyed visiting it so much 🙂

• NYC to UK 13th May 2021 at 7:10 pm

My first holiday was when I was 3, from New York City to the Bahamas. I still remember the flight, the hotel, pool, beach and the steel band in the street when we bought souvenirs. Years later I returned to the hotel with my husband and young son. One of the long-time staff was amazed when I commented on the ways the lobby had changed. He remembered me riding on my dad’s shoulders when we checked in.

• Jambo 13th May 2021 at 7:16 pm

My first one was Ipsos on Corfu and it was fantastic. Stayed in a villa up on a hill above ipsos and hired a scooter to get about. Could not believe the crickets noise in the many trees around the villa.

• Hutchy 123 13th May 2021 at 7:56 pm

When I was about 14 my mum took myself and my brother on a Grand Continental Tour … but I will always remember playing with snow up in the Dolomites in July .. the hairpin bends which our poor coach struggled to navigate, before they tunnels through … oh and Venice wen the Gondolier sang to me .. then again it mite have been my mum … but to me at 14 years of age full of romantic notions .. ah ah that was a wonderful age for a school girl in those days..

• dyer6918 13th May 2021 at 8:30 pm

I went to Cala Mallor in Majorca with my family and had a great time it lovely not built up altogether different now soooo busy not my sort of holiday.

• TracieB 13th May 2021 at 8:55 pm

Toured Europe in a car (camping) in 1969. I was 4. My 2 sisters and Gran in the back and I sat up front on the armrest! No H and S then! First time in a plane aged 7. Went to Callela in Spain. Refused to eat the food and ate chips for 2 weeks!

• Sixpence 13th May 2021 at 9:17 pm

Jersey then Guernsey . After that Canada for Silver Wedding

• Deleted User 13th May 2021 at 9:39 pm

Mine waS in 1997 going to Paris with a local group, my next one was 2013 with my daughter and husband

• Kriztina xxx 13th May 2021 at 10:59 pm

My dad drove us to Venice and we did it yearly over the Alps.
      And when I passed my driving test I did it yearly .
      Awesome times

• SteV1Da 13th May 2021 at 11:01 pm

Coach trip from London on a Thursday night to Cologne via Belgium to see Santana, Bob Dylan & Joan Baez play the Mungersdorf Football stadium. No sleep on the way out & very little on the way back on the Saturday night into the Sunday morning, It was magic ! Discovered the regional Kolsch beer in Cologne. A good night out & zero hangover (very pure beer). On returning to Victoria Station on the Sunday morning I then had to get back to Nantgarw in South Wales (was at College there). I went to bed late afternoon AND I SLEPT……….. My room mate & Landlady put a mirror in front of my nose to see if I was still breathing – that’s how zonked out I was. Great memories. I was 21 years old.

• Robb 13th May 2021 at 11:19 pm

My first trip abroad was to Estartit in Spain, by bus!! Leaving from Argyle street and going all the way down to London and on the ferry across to France.Back on the bus, then all the way down to the Spanish borders, then onto another bus that took you to your hotel. Thebus Company made a mistake of us letting us drink alcohol, the toilet on the bus broke, and trying to get to sleep was terrible as empty bottles of Vodke,Whisky, beer and lager would roll about and the seats did’nt recline. It was fun going, but coming back was a nightmare. 18 hours to get there and back.

• Sue47 13th May 2021 at 11:44 pm

To Paris on a school trip, aged 10. We stayed in student accommodation at the Sorbonne, which we were far too young to appreciate at the time. Most memorable experience – several of us running up the down escalator and still beating others to the top. Least memorable experience – getting to the first level of the Eiffel Tower and being too scared to go any higher so one of the teachers had to take me back down and stay with me. She was not best pleased 😀 I’ve been many times since and have to say the view from the top is amazing!

• SouthernSoftie 14th May 2021 at 12:13 am

Think I was about 12, school trip to Berne Switzerland for a week. Then at 16 a cruise, another school trip from Southampton to the Azores, Madeira and Casablanca and it cost £59. Quite a lot of money for my Mum and Dad.

• SteveM57 14th May 2021 at 5:31 am

My first time abroad was a school trip to Italy when I was 12, followed by a college trip to Switzerland when I was 17. My first proper holiday was to Lloret de Mar on the Costa Brava when I was 22.

• Vonny52 14th May 2021 at 12:14 pm

My first holiday abroad was when I was 10 years old and at junior school. We went to Belgium for 5 days. We stayed at a hostel in Ostend (food was awful) and went out on trips every day to Bruges, Ghent etc. It was a lot of fun, especially the go-karts by the beach at Ostend!

• Lisa D 14th May 2021 at 7:47 pm

Coming from Australia to England

• VLB 14th May 2021 at 8:10 pm

I went to Bulgaria when I was 10 years old. It was very exciting and completely different from anything I had seen before. Great memories!

• JellyBean 14th May 2021 at 8:17 pm

Binnibecca when I was 11. We were so excited… then I fell into a cactus and had to have 50 spines removed from my leg and back 🙄 🤣
      It didn’t stop me enjoying it immensely though.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 15th May 2021 at 10:25 pm

Germany – coach trip, staying with a family. I was 13. Had great fun because a lot of friends went too.

• Lautrec 21st May 2021 at 8:42 am

I am a big fan of traveling and often with friends, we organize such vaccinations abroad. Now that we have plans for this summer, we searched for the best holiday houses across Australia on https://www.onholidays.com.au and came across a place where we have a huge golf course and I can’t wait to start our adventures. The house is located next to many shopping stores and very close to children’s adventures because we want them to have fun too.

• Oracle06 21st May 2021 at 8:49 am

Majorca with my parents think I was maybe 4 or 5 years old at the time so apart from photos and the odd memory instilled by my parents I don’t remember much about it

• George W 21st May 2021 at 9:05 am

School trip in 72 to Lucerne in Switzerland ….in those days you needed a visa and inoculations …funny how some things come around again : (.

• Lisa10 21st May 2021 at 9:14 am

Mine was when I was 18 in 1986 to majorca..

• marg422000 23rd May 2021 at 1:39 pm

Lloret de la Mar when I was 12 hahahaha

• BillionDollarDawn 2nd June 2021 at 1:13 pm

St Tropez. when I was a child we used to go every year with my mom and dad’s friends, in customised vans, towing a speed boat so they could go diving. I also stayed in Antibes when my my daughter was little and as the best ever holidays are when ur a kid, i drove to St tropez in 2003 with my 3 kids and stayed in a mobile home. I’ve been to lots of other places since tho.

• Sueo 2nd June 2021 at 1:16 pm

Went to Switzerland when I was 16 first time flying and followed it the following year by working the summer there

Add