Home Forums Food & Drink What was the most unusual meal that you have ever...

JaneG Posted 2 months ago
What was the most unusual meal that you have ever eaten on Christmas Day?

Power cut? Turkey malfunction? What is the strangest meal that you have ever had to eat on Xmas day , and why?

2 likes & 60 replies
    • Daisy 1212 2nd December 2021 at 7:45 am

I had beans on toast one year 😊. We spent the morning visiting various relatives, we ate so many nibbles, mince pies etc. I was too full to cook a roast when I got home.. Was just me and my (now ex partner) at the time, and he wasn’t bothered either.. 😂

• Longhotsummer1 2nd December 2021 at 8:03 am

A egg brick , this is a slice of toast with a square cut out the middle and egg inside ! In Tunisia,

• JaneG 3rd December 2021 at 7:37 am

Did you manage to feel festive in Tunisia Longhotsummer? I once had a BBQ on a beach on Xmas day. Needless to say that wasn’t in the UK!🥶

• Clint 3rd December 2021 at 10:09 am

Not an unusual meal, but growing up in South Africa braais (bbq’s) were and still are quite popular as a Christmas lunch

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 6:32 pm

So have you kept the tradition going Clint? Perhaps spit roast turkey could be the new way to do Xmas dinner 🤣

• Clint 4th December 2021 at 7:01 pm

I have suggested it to my wife who is English, and she thinks I’m weird for even suggesting it 🤣

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 7:06 pm

That’s because she doesn’t want to be the one tending the BBQ in the cold wet UK weather. No sense of adventure 🤣

• Daisychain 3rd December 2021 at 11:01 am

Not really unusual but a bbq with beautiful food in the boiling heat in Australia with my daughter and her family. Everyone had the choice of their favourite goodies. Mine happens to be prawns, big huge ones with mango and chocolate mousse to follow. Not a Christmas pudding, roast or cake in sight.

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 6:35 pm

Mmm that sounds delicious Daisychain. My BBQ on the beach was in Perth, W. Australia. Where does your daughter and family live?

• Daisychain 4th December 2021 at 8:25 pm

They’ve come back to the UK now but the did live in NE Sydney. Another daughter lives in New Zealand in Auckland. I’m looking forward to seeing them as soon as it’s possible.

• Malley 3rd December 2021 at 12:17 pm

Egg and chips
      Our son had a meltdown outside church on Christmas morning which turned into a family row. We were supposed to be going to friends for Christmas lunch but we weren’t in the right frame of mind and cancelled. I had no food ready at home and this turned out to be part of his punishment. We had a good meal on Boxing Day

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 3rd December 2021 at 4:38 pm

Spaghetti bolognese cooked by me at my late Father’s request – it was something he didn’t get to eat in his elderly person’s retirement home!

• Glyn Colman 3rd December 2021 at 6:36 pm

Chicken and Chip.

• Filmmaker 4th December 2021 at 8:02 am

My brother and sister in law, who immigrated from South Africa a few years previously, invited me round for Christmas lunch, my sister in law announced ‘Christmas is just like any other day to her so we welcome to have a jacket potato and beans with her, it has become a standing joke in my family.
      My housemates son, went to his father for Christmas, his father’s wife, gave him a Morrison’s ready meal on a tray , he was so shocked, he left as soon as possible, he still talks about this and has never accepted another Christmas invitation from them.

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 6:45 pm

🤣🤣 that’s great filmmaker! I bet you would have loved to film the expression on your housemate’s son’s face when his ready meal was served! Has he subsequently cooked a full Xmas dinner for his Dad and wife to show them how it’s done?

• Trampus 4th December 2021 at 8:32 am

Couple of years ago we had the son and daughter for christmas dinner. Everything prepped, trukey defrosted and in the oven on time all cooking. Got to about 12 noon and the veg went on in the steamer. Then my daughter mentioned she couldn’t really smell the turkey. Had a look and found the element blown in the oven, so we had vegetarian lunch (mostly) and cold turkey sandwiches in the evening as I had to cut the turkey in half and cook it in the top oven. Kept a spare element at home ever since. Still a good christmas though

• [email protected] 4th December 2021 at 9:17 am

Mince and mash potatoes. I was 10 the whole family had flu. We all got up to eat it and went back to bed . I don’t even think we could be bothered to open Christmas presents at that time.

• Lynnee 4th December 2021 at 9:51 am

My husband and I spent our first Christmas together in a very basic campervan in a lay-by near Snowdon. Had sliced turkey from the deli and tinned potatoes and carrots. Most chilled Christmas ever.

• Sue47 4th December 2021 at 12:35 pm

As teens my sister and I visited our father when he was stationed in Bahrain in the early ’60’s. We had a typical American Christmas dinner on a US Naval ship served by the officers. There were some similarities to ours in UK but there were also baked yams, biscuits with gravy, followed by pie instead of Christmas pudding. Perhaps not very unusual but the experience was certainly unique.

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 6:51 pm

How nice! I’d prefer pie to Xmas pudding. What were the biscuits like?

• Sue47 5th December 2021 at 11:36 pm

I think they were similar to our scones but quite bland if I remember, or would have been without gravy. It was almost 60 years ago and I’ve not come across them since but I know they’re eaten quite a lot in America.

• Smartie 4th December 2021 at 12:52 pm

A tube of Pringles sitting in the most glorious sunshine with a wonderful view in Argentina.
      It was the best Christmas time I’ve had.

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 7:14 pm

😱 what? Xmas in Argentina and no steak on the menu? It does sound a lovely way to spend Xmas day 👍

• Smartie 4th December 2021 at 8:20 pm

Well, have to come clean, the Pringles were Xmas lunch. We went to a local ranch and had a parrilla grill in the evening, with more meat than you could shake a stick at.

• janet.woodward2 4th December 2021 at 1:36 pm

My beloved late Father was in the NGH in Sheffield and I took Mum to see him on Christmas Day. She was shouting at him with no response whatsoever. It was the last time they would meet. I went home to an empty house and my kitty. Lot of soggy kitty fur….and beans on toast for Christmas lunch….Long gone are the days of 18 for lunch….just me and two kitties now….

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 7:17 pm

Oh how sad Janet. I hope that your kitties provide plenty of amusement. A work colleague’s cat has become adept at curling up on her computer keyboard when it wants attention 🤣

• Gary K 4th December 2021 at 3:29 pm

Re-heated take away curry from the the night before, with skillfully prepared microwave in the bag rice. I was single at the time, working away, and was so hung over from the office POETIC (p*ss off early tomorrow it’s Crimbo) pub crawl, I couldn’t face cooking, and ate it in the evening.

• Dee65 4th December 2021 at 6:46 pm

Ah memories lol I worked at one company who started the Christmas party at 9.30 am on Xmas Eve, and then we all went to the pub. I remember that being my first Christmas Day without wanting any dinner I was so hung over too.

• JaneG 4th December 2021 at 7:00 pm

I remember house mates having their skilfully reheated curries for breakfast the next day 🤢 I’m all for leftovers but not before 8 am!!

• Dee65 4th December 2021 at 6:40 pm

We had sausage and chips. We had a Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve as my daughter and her boyfriend came to stay, but were going to his parents for Christmas Day and for dinner there. We just couldn’t summon up the enthusiasm to cook another full meal, and really enjoyed our Sausages and sat and watched TV.

• Indiana 4th December 2021 at 8:56 pm

We had chicken fajitas one year as we had booked a family holiday in Mexico and thought it would be fun to ease ourselves into the culture before we went x

• plotno6 5th December 2021 at 7:28 am

Tinned Frey Bentos meat ple, our parents had separated So my brother and I enjoyed the ple, I was about 15 and my brother about 13

• Keith D 5th December 2021 at 10:55 am

For my late wife and my 1st Christmas dinner we had chips and mince, because the cat ate our chicken.

Another year, a few years after my wife’s death when i was on my own i had tin of big soup and ba couple of slices of bread, as i just didn’t want to be bothered eating much, or being around people 🙃 😅

• SouthernSoftie 6th December 2021 at 11:07 am

I had steak and kidney pudding one year, with Christmas dinner Boxing day with family.

Also spent one christmas in Chine on holiday, very alternative dinner – rice and things!

• Renoir64 6th December 2021 at 11:55 am

McDonald’s sat in a police car.

• JaneG 7th December 2021 at 11:56 pm

I take it that you were in the police car on duty, and not under arrest in the back for raiding a McDonalds – those McFlurry’s are very moreish! 🤣🤣

• Renoir64 8th December 2021 at 7:32 pm

Yes I was working. It was the only place we could get a hot drink do we splashed out on a full meal.
          Literally 20 minutes later we went to a particularly awful job but by this stage of my service I’d developed an iron stomach as well as a giant bladder, so all was good.
          Then had my dinner with my family when I got home.

• JaneG 8th December 2021 at 10:57 pm

The mention of a giant bladder made me wonder what police women have to do if you need the loo and a property is taped off as a crime scene. Do you call on the neighbours or find a bush nearby?
          They don’t show such dilemmas on TV crime dramas 🤣

• Renoir64 18th December 2021 at 2:19 pm

Even a policeman cant use a bush inside a crime scene and if you’re outside the scene then you’ll be pretty public or theres little point you being there.
          You normally get swapped but I once spent 11 hours stood at a murder scene on my own in the middle of nowhere on a very cold winters night.
          But there is no way that you could leave it as that would compromise its integrity potentially, plus the 11 hours one the bodies were still there under a tent.

• Dawn Lovejoy 6th December 2021 at 8:09 pm

The year I had the Norovirus, the only thing I consumed all day were sips of ginger pop. Definitely not the best Christmas.

• Renoir64 7th December 2021 at 11:21 am

When I was child we all had flu. Non of us could eat anything. Grisly to say the least.

• Sara 28th December 2021 at 4:16 pm

Two years ago I ended up with a bag of crisps after I had a row with my mam on Christmas Eve so didn’t go to hers for lunch as planned!

• JaneG 10th January 2022 at 6:49 pm

I hope they were turkey and stuffing flavoured crisps!! I hope you made up and had turkey dinner another year!

• Marshall 10th January 2022 at 5:02 pm

I lived in Australia for a few years and one of my friends asked if I hade ever tasted wallaby. This is how it`s cooked. Big pot of boiling water, one leg o wallaby, one big rock.
      Boil it for a week, then eat the rock. It will be more tender that the wallaby!

• Woodcrafter-Keith 10th January 2022 at 5:13 pm

I had weetabix for Christmas Dinner once when I wasn’t feeling very well
      And for the last few years my mums done water buffalo for Christmas lunch it’s so tender it’s delicious there’s a farm local to them that have a herd and have a farm shop

Add