Home Forums General What type of supermarket shopper are you

Tambos58 Posted 7 months ago
What type of supermarket shopper are you

In early before it gets busy
In and out like flint
The day out , breakfast first)
The fanny about ( head in the clouds, trolley all over the place causing chaos)
The social club ( gassing to people blocking the way)
Scatter gun – all over the place looking for stuff

I bet we all know the ones that drive us mad:)

1 like & 101 replies
    • Always 28th January 2022 at 10:23 am

I’m the annoying ‘fanny about’ type go in for a pint of milk wander around in no particular order (definitely not the direction that everyone else is going in) usually come out with 6 bottles of wine some chocolate – because someone reminded me I’d not tried it for ages 🙄, a few bits of food but not enough for an entire meal and then as I am loading the car realise I forgot the milk and have to dash back in! 🤦‍♀️

Yep I hate shoppers like me too lol

• Linpap 28th January 2022 at 10:25 am

I’m more a home delivery person these days but think I used to be well organised systematically going round till the end when I suddenly thought of extra things I fancied and then scattergun …remember previous post on here being given advice on meeting a potential date in the supermarket Waitrose for a bit of class Aldi for a bit of rough have to report back neither worked for me wherever I was or whether I was in and out or fannying about…

• Shell69 28th January 2022 at 10:29 am

That’s me too ! No list so random items in the trolley and if I do take a list I forget to look at it or I forget half of it !

• Cheers on toast 28th January 2022 at 10:43 am

Scatter gun approach around the food bits then a leisurely stroll around the electrical and home sections.

While unloading the trolley i realise i have forgotten the one thing i went in for but instead of being the annoying shopper who goes off on missions whilst half way through their checkout I go for a second circuit.

The social club ones drive me mad especially when they bump into a friend at the entrance / exit and stand their gassing oblivious to the tail back they are causing in both directions.

• Colin in Kent 28th January 2022 at 1:17 pm

Go in for one thing, then come out with impractical but expensive food items that will result in a stony look from my wife. In fact, I also only go in if it gives me time to dive into the instore Costa for a read and slice of toast.

• Tambos58 28th January 2022 at 1:40 pm

I’m like that with Cosco, go in for a few bits but always spend a fortune.

Dodging the Danish pastries isn’t easy but as somebody told me once, they freeze well.

• Forestbather 28th January 2022 at 1:53 pm

In and out like Flynn.

I can do flint if you like, though. Love a good typo.

I’m an Aldi shopper and rough as old dogs @Linpap.

• backofbeyond 28th January 2022 at 4:48 pm

Sadly not much choice round here. The nearest Aldi or Lidl is about 12 miles away with Tesco about the same in the other direction. We have to make do with a 1/2 sized Sainsburys or full sized Waitrose. There is a Co-op but nobody in their right mind goes in there.

The aisles in Waitrose are a perfect example of class warfare in action with ‘executives’ expecting their fellow shopper waters to part, Red Sea style, as they approach with their trollies bulging with gin bottles.

By contrast, over the road in Sainsburys, it’s a lot less ‘revolutionary’ but their stock control is so bad they’ve run out half the time. My daughter did part of her gap year on the checkouts there and her summary of the average shopper was that all they bought was ‘booze and mince’.

• Tambos58 28th January 2022 at 7:02 pm

Sainsbury need to up their game

• Linpap 28th January 2022 at 11:56 pm

When I first started teaching half my sixth form students worked in local Sainsbury’s always felt I was being harshly judged at the checkouts had to pretend to be healthy by throwing in a few extra veg and salad items amongst the booze and snacks even so I’d get comments like that’s an interesting shop Miss P!

• Reverend Nick 28th January 2022 at 5:13 pm

Not really any of the above – go in with a list set out in the same way the store is laid out, though the Whitby Sainsbury’s is all arse-about to our Matlock one. So that scuppers that.

Can’t abide people who are rooted to the spot, standing staring at a shelf full of identical things – just pick one up and buy it! I think it quite reasonable under these circumstances that we should have knives attached to the trolley like Boudicca and her chariot. (pedantic note – there’s no evidence she really had ’em)

When shopping in Aldi can’t help being drawn to the random crap isle. Not sure I’ll never need a compressor – but I still say “Hmm, that’s a good price!” I have actually got some useful things from that aisle but you never know from one week to the next what’s going to be there.

• Staying Alive 28th January 2022 at 5:59 pm

Go when necessary. Buy only what is necessary, Since there is only me, myself, and I. 😞

Chat to a few shoppers even If I don’t even know them. I’m not crazy just friendly never getting in peoples way.

In the card shop the other day looking for a birthday card for a friend an old lady standing Where they have humorous cards and just having a good old giggle together. Kind of made our day.

People just need to do little kind gestures. In this so busy world. Slow it down enjoy the life in front of you. ✌🏾

• SharronE 28th January 2022 at 6:10 pm

I love supermarket clothes, so a leisurely stroll around those and then down to getting what I need from my list.

• Pops McCarthy 28th January 2022 at 7:53 pm

A super what?????

• Reverend Nick 29th January 2022 at 12:50 am

In some supermarkets in the Netherlands, they have a special ‘chat’ checkouts to combat loneliness amongst the elderly – this is a very laudable idea, but you just know, don’t you, that they’re going to go to every other checkout but the Klets Kassa one to have that chat.

• Blauro 29th January 2022 at 7:44 am

I’ve banned myself from shopping in Waitrose or M&S because I end up with so much more than I need, while being in scatter gun mode.
      I’ve never shopped in Aldi or Lidl as I’ve heard your shopping is launched at you after it’s been through the check out. I’m not sure how I’d deal with that?

• Linpap 29th January 2022 at 7:59 am

Haha it’s not that bad!! But they do get on with it which I quite like none of this dilly dallying and chatting at checkout!!

• Tambos58 29th January 2022 at 8:02 am

Lol slightly exaggerated but it is a quick turn around.

I have a sainsbury near me (just happens to be the closest) and years ago one of the ladies on the checkout used to launch items with no care. She was probably the worst person to work on a checkout. I purposely took my time bagging my items just to annoy her.

Funnily enough she didn’t seem to last to long. Probably went onto to be a bouncer:)

• Blauro 29th January 2022 at 8:26 am

Exactly, I find it a bit irritating when the checkout people do that. They’re usually a bit grumpy as well.
          A bouncer would probably be a better career choice! 😂

• Linpap 29th January 2022 at 8:34 am

Haha think I must lose some of my normal friendliness at checkouts remember buying a box of cereal in Waitrose the checkout guy started asking me if it was nice etc and then previous customer who was still faffing about packing a couple of bits started in about how it was full of sugar blah blah I didn’t really want a full blown discussion on my choice of cereal just wanted to pay and get out!

• Blauro 29th January 2022 at 8:39 am

😂 obviously a nutritionist!

• Linpap 29th January 2022 at 8:41 am

Haha and wasted on me- the cereal was for my dad!!

• Tambos58 29th January 2022 at 8:49 am

It must be your animal magnetism👍

• backofbeyond 29th January 2022 at 8:06 am

It’s not quite that bad but there is an element of truth in it. They have very little space on the counter after the scanning sensor and their bar coding system means the checkout person can push everything through really quickly. So if you’re not equally quick to get items into your bag or back into the trolley they can end up on the floor – and of course as they’ve passed the sensor they’re now yours rather than the store’s.

Considering there’s usually a long queue at each checkout where you’re waiting for ages, having to then switch into super fast mode to pack the stuff is somewhat annoying. I’m sure the stores are aware of it so it’s deliberate, but quite what it gains them I’ve never worked out. In fact customer disloyalty is a more likely outcome.

• Blauro 29th January 2022 at 8:32 am

This is just what I’ve heard before and the reason why I’ve not shopped there. Perhaps one day when I feel the need for a challenge, I’ll give them a try.

• Tambos58 29th January 2022 at 8:50 am

Never shop when it’s busy- life is so much easier avoiding a busy supermarket:)

• backofbeyond 30th January 2022 at 10:35 am

Absolutely! The local Sainsburys is packed 12.00 – 1.30 (lunch hour shoppers), 3.15 – 4.00 (school’s out) and 5.00 – 6.30 (just pop in after work shoppers). I avoid those hours as much as possible. The best time is around 2.30pm when everyone is back at work and the schools haven’t kicked out yet.

Interestingly, Waitrose across the road has a different pattern. They don’t get the school rush for example as the kids can’t afford their prices.

• Cheers on toast 29th January 2022 at 8:17 am

The Trumpet pub next door to Waitrose in Evesham have a good idea, husband creche.

• Blauro 29th January 2022 at 8:36 am

Oh what a brilliant idea! The problem for me is if I go into the crèche, my shopping won’t get done at all😂
        Maybe I’ll need to hire a professional shopper instead!

• Polly54 29th January 2022 at 8:27 am

I hate shopping it’s like trial by fire, I have a mental image of where what I want is so I start off in the first isle get what I want move onto the 2nd 3rd 4th item until I’ve got what I want then to the cashier and, oh the bliss, out into the fresh air.
      I’m not rude but most get the message and move when I’m trying to get past the only concessions I make is for the very young (toddlers, unknown quantities) and the very elderly (they don’t need me glaring at them)

• Tambos58 29th January 2022 at 8:53 am

I have no objection to sharing a few words with somebody ederlery shopping and lending a helping hand if needs be, think most normal folk are prob the same.

We’ll all be old one day (well older)

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 29th January 2022 at 9:17 am

I use to be in and out and stuck to the list (I hate shopping) but recently had covid so tried online

O M G … I’m never going back to the supermarket again 🤣

• Tambos58 29th January 2022 at 9:37 am

I tried Amazon pantry recently, it was good and I can see the advantage of home shopping for groceries.

Still can’t beat the farm shop for fresh goods

• madeleine45 29th January 2022 at 9:17 am

So, I have various comments to make over my shopping life. Whilst working in London and on shifts i would have places that i preferred , but had to work out which shop was open to fit in with my shifts. Had to do major shopping on my day off. Later working on a more normal time table had to shop on saturday or often on friday evening. Very exhausting after a long day at work but gave me saturday back to do something else. always preferred open markets for fruit and veg, still do . Champagne tastes but beer money, meant that I always had a written shopping list, and if going to a known shop it would be written aisle by aisle not to waste time or money. My pet hate even now is when they move an item elsewhere ,say when christmas stock comes in, but it would be so easy to put one of those little price tag on the edge of shelf, just saying now in aisle 4. They could have a little stack of these that just quoted aisles from 1 to 6 or whatever. Would take them little time and ensure you got what you need. When I was trying to shop in my lunch time or whatever I had no time to meander along trying to find it. Then another pet hate was to have a supermarket with 12 checkouts but only 3 being open on a friday afternoon especially, with great queues (this before there was any other options) You always got people and I have to say men were the worst, stood there tutting and moaning about the queue. Well I ran a large communications system and was prepared to do something about it. So I would have a full trolley,- if you leave it and go elsewhere you are having to waste your time re doing the shopping. My strategy was this. Firstly look around to see if any more staff were on their way or were setting up another checkout. Then turn round and swiftly do a head count for the queues. Politely ask the person behind me in the queue to watch my trolley. Then go to the managers office or supervisors area. Enter with a smile and polite tone and say “could you send more staff as the queues are long” If they complied at once return to queue and carry on. If they said in that disinterested tone of voice, oh they are on their breaks or we are short of staff, I would say ” well you could employ someone who has a family part time to cover from say 10 – 3, to cover lunch and tea breaks. They would be pleased to have the job, you would have less queues and in years to come when their family is older they would probably go on to work full time. That they would get the reputation of quick service and would gain customers. Then I would say, still in a pleasant voice, well I have approximately £50 worth of goods in my trolley (this was 40 years ago when that was quite a large amount of money) but I cannot wait any longer so sorry you will have to put the goods back yourself. Good afternoon) Usually there was a swift change in attitude and I have even had the manager come out and deal with my stuff himself. I once had a man complain that I was being served before him and he was in the queue before me. My answer was “Yes but you just stood and moaned and did nothing to alter things. I have organised it, and therefore feel entitled to be served first , but now there is another check out available to everyone” After a while , whenever the managers saw me walking towards them they would say I am sending someone now etc. because on occasion I did leave without my shopping. Actions speak louder than words! Over the years I have done a variety of things but used to help especially at christmas time when sensible stores used to have a special hour, or evening opening for disabled people and I would take someone round in a wheelchair , or accompany a blind person so that I could give them descriptions etc etc. A very good idea for everyone. The disabled person at last got an equal opportunity to chose for themselves, it would provide a quieter time ( no music allowed and definitely no horrible poor versions of carols) so that hard of hearing people could get round and others with autism etc would be able to get round if it was quiet. Years ago I contacted the local paper and told them about the decent store that was doing this and they sent someone to write it up. Result , more people found out about it and were able to come along. It made a good story and I am sure increased their business as even those who did not need to use the idea , would want to give their custom to a decent firm. Then stroppy people who think that their time is more valuable than anyone else and object to other shoppers can choose to go at other times and keep out of the way!! I am now disabled and have very bad back amongst other things. I do not want to be taken round in a horrible fold up wheelchair which makes it more painful, and I have always been very independent and do not want other people choosing things for me, but now retired I do my best never to shop at weekends. I also like to consider other shoppers needs . So my answer is to go to a store where they have a disabled buggy. Great , I can go around at my own pace and can actually stop and look at something and compare prices, and not have to leave before I have what I need because I am in too much pain. Then I stick to my own rules. So for instance this week I needed some shopping but was in a great deal of pain. Now a widow and living alone I have no option but to do it myself. Yes I do use delivery services for things like tins and large boxes of washing powder, but I want to choose my own fruit and veg and be able to take advantage of offers and reduced price things. I wrote my list , went to the store but could see it was very busy. Went away to do other things and on my way back at about 11pm I went in, had the store to myself, very quiet and was able to go around, get my basic shopping but actually had time to look at things like trousers or things in the sale area. I actually got some good bargains in the food area so had some half price chops and yogurts and so forth, and then reorganised my shopping to make the most of these things. Result, I had a good shopping trip, bought things for bargain prices and was able to ask staff , who were mostly stocking shelves to reach things on the top or bottom shelves, which I cannot reach. I appreciate their help and tell them so and then later posted a message to the store praising the staff who did a good job and were very pleasant and helpful. Got home about midnight , just bring frozen things in and go to bed and the next morning I can unload a bit at a time, and my day is free to do other things now. As for people stopping and talking, whilst it may be annoying may I ask you to consider other things. I have done over 10 years hospital car service. As I say now have a lot of problems with my back and usually use the disabled buggy but if someone else has it or I only want a couple of things will think oh I can manage this myself. But I can meet people in the shop who I have taken to and from hospitals for a long time and they are pleased to see me and ask how things are going etc. Many of them live alone and I could have been their only visitor that week. Yes practically speaking I dont want to stand up in more pain and not getting on with my shopping, but a little time , letting people know that I remember them and am pleased to see them, seems a small effort , that can cheer someone up. Now many stores have cafes, for a few people that I had really got to know , I would suggest us having a coffee and a sit down there, but often they just wanted to say how they were now getting on, remind me of other patients I used to take with them etc and then carry on. So I do not dispute it can be annoying when people are in your way but surely we should be trying to live in the “There but for the grace of god go I” and a few minutes of your time is a little gift we can all give willingly”

• Tambos58 29th January 2022 at 9:30 am

Agree with the frustration re moving goods around. Frustrating for the shoppers but all a tactical ploy by those who know our habits and attempt to get us to buy/try more/new products.

My friends dad had a disability and they always found shopping early on a Saturday morning the best time if reliant on a wheel chair/buggy. Only certain supermarkets cater for this with the width of the isle.

• backofbeyond 30th January 2022 at 3:31 pm

“My pet hate even now is when they move an item elsewhere ,say when christmas stock comes in”

My local Sainsburys moved the hand sanitiser to make room for a pallet of beer a couple of weeks before Christmas.

• Dol Common 29th January 2022 at 11:06 am

I absolutely detest shopping in a supermarket. I go in with a clear plan but find that once all that hideous bright lighting hits me I lose my brain and can’t find anything I’m looking for. Our local Morrisons seems to change the store layout quite frequently just to make people get lost and browse more. So I’m the one in the store muttering ‘ where the f…. have they put the beansprouts today?’ I rarely use self checkout on principle , but if forced to, I usually end up shouting at it like a mad person when it automatically summons a staff member or claims to be ‘surprised’ by something I’m attempting to purchase. I also grumble to myself about packaging, and have been known to remove all plastic crap at checkout and pour the contents into my bag. Then I end up with egg on my face because i can’t keep that principle up -cant really pour a packet of lentils into my bag! Yep, I’m a self confesses supermarket nightmare person, which is weird, cos I’m generally chilled and friendly. Sure it’s those lights! Luckily my partner does most of our shopping so other shoppers don’t have to put up with my intolerance much.

• Sue47 29th January 2022 at 5:53 pm

I take a list and buy what I need (guaranteed to forget at least one essential item, it was eggs yesterday) but then retrace my steps to see if there’s anything else that takes my fancy. So I start off intending to be the in and out shopper but always end up going in the opposite direction to everyone else which I suppose puts me in the fanny about class.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 29th January 2022 at 7:27 pm

Spoilt for choice here in and around Weston-super-Mare/ Worle we have two Aldi, two Lidl, M&S, Waitrose, Sainsbury, Tescos, Morrisons, Asda, Farm Foods, Iceland and its bigger version Food warehouse plus numerous Co-ops and tesco express etc

As I normally go shopping on my way home from work and knackered it’s in around and out ASAP

• Robert K 29th January 2022 at 8:14 pm

I’m a ‘don’t deviate from the list’ shopper – saves so much time. Aldi and Waitrose for me. Mind you I would like to go to the supermarket that sells this :

• madeleine45 29th January 2022 at 10:01 pm

My granny kept goats on her smallholding. When I went to stay there the first day the milk tasted odd because it was goats milk but when I went home I thought cows milk tasted odd too. she had toggenburgs and saanens , lovely intelligent creatures but if they got loose they would go for the washing, and in the garden and always made a beeline for the rose or whatever that was just out and looking its best! Going back to supermarkets , when I was really annoyed about things being moved about with no information, I would march up to the managers office with my half filled trolley and waving my shopping list.I would say I didnt have the time or the inclination to go hunting for things that were moved and if they thought that moving things made me buy more they were totally wrong. I will not be manipulated and so again would say I havent time to waste so you had better put these things back and I will go elsewhere. At christmas time I would be polite but always went in to places if they were filling up the aisles with extra baskets of things and ask them to be aware of disabled people and wheelchairs etc. and that I was checking the layout as we planned to bring several people to do some christmas shopping at a quiet time. If they tried to be helpful that was fine . If they just said we cant do anything about it I would ring up the fire brigade. Having run a large group and big departments I know about your fire certificate. Your insurance is invalid if you havent got a fire certificate, and that is checked by the brigade to stick to the requirements and they can call at any time to check you are not blocking fire exits or putting in dangerous things like a copier next to the paper store. So ring the fire people and politely ask if asda or whoever had a fire certificate (I knew they should have or they would not be open) When they checked and said yes they had a valid one I( would enquire when the changes were made to the law which allowed them to block aisles , put disabled people in danger etc. Tell them what I had seen (these days you would take a photo on your camera!) and lo and behold a fire safety officer would call unannounced to check. Worked every time! A a singer I can be out somewhere in a church or concert hall singing on a saturday evening. Other people may use drugs but I get a high from my music. The sad thing is that for the last couple of years I have not been able to share the lift or give one to someone else in the choir. When we did that we chatted all the way home about how the concert had gone and sing little bits and remember awful page turns etc etc and talk about recordings we had by different artists. So it can be quite lonely driving home with no one to talk to but very hyped up and I can never go to bed straight away , so with 24 hour shopping i often call in to somewhere on my way home. Of course when I first do it I get funny looks as not many people do shopping at about 1am dressed up to the nines! Get the bargains, no one else about and calm down comparing the price of different things. So my local people are used to seeing me in all sorts of stuff. Sometimes I have changed out of singing gear and have just trousers and a jumper, so look very ordinary but my hair may still be up in swirls etc . At other times I sweep into the supermarket in my sky blue silk shirtwaister and black velvet skirt etc and it can look a bit odd choosing what cereal I want rather than at the champagne end. Today struggling with my back but very quiet in the shop and so was able to look a the bargains, Did very well and have dinner for tonight tomorrow and monday , all at reduced price, so quite chuffed. Ah well you win some and lose some so today very pleased not only at the prices but that i dont have to think what I might get to eat. For lunch had lovely duck with hoisin sauce and singapore noodles and it cost me the princely sum of £1,75 and was ready within 5 minutes of getting home.

• John567 30th January 2022 at 5:59 am

It just appears at our door, not sure how it happens, I guess it’s the magic of having a wife!
      On the rare occasions I go in to one it’s in and out like flint with just what’s on the list.
      Yes the social club and fanny about people do slow my shopping mission down.
      You forgot the ‘screaming, I want kids’, now they are something to avoid!

• John567 30th January 2022 at 6:09 am

We tried the app, I haven’t a clue what it’s called,I picked up the groceries. You click on the app late afternoon/ evening to choose a local store near by, And you only pay a third of the cost for the near end of shelf life perishables. It’s a lucky dip depending on what they have. Our local chippy does it as well. Freeze the chips in portion sizes then when you want chips bake the chips in a hot oven at 200 until crisp, then you have triple cooked chips. They taste fantastic.

• Paul095 30th January 2022 at 11:41 am

With military precession, got fed up deciding on what to cook, so did a 3 week menu, including ingredients to purchase for said week of culinary bliss 😂😬

• Smileyday 30th January 2022 at 6:21 pm

After reading all these replies I thought I would give you a view from …the other side

Checkout operators ( in most companies ) are paid to scan shopping at a rate per minute. If they don’t achieve this there are consequences possibly leading to no job. This starts as soon as they scan there first item and until they press pay which can be during a transaction if necessary.
      They can be sat/ stood at a checkout for anything up to 4 hrs and 30 minutes with no break
      I know of staff being spat at, swore at, blamed for something not being in stock when they have no control over that and many many other things.
      Yes it’s a job, yes they are getting paid to do it but they certainly don’t get paid to put up with being treated like they often are.
      Staff wages are the biggest expense a company has even before rent etc. so they are going to cut staff to the bone, as they often do, then people phone in sick and with covid it can be numerous members of staff in any one day. The ones left are the ones who take the brunt of all this.

You do get grumpy operators like you get grumpy customers but as the saying goes …BE KIND 😊

So what I am asking ( hoping) next time your out shopping just think for one minute what kind of a day that poor shop assistant has had.

• Tambos58 30th January 2022 at 6:47 pm

No defence for people spitting, threatening etc. downside of the job I guess is having to deal with the great unwashed.

• Wildrose 30th January 2022 at 6:27 pm

I hate shopping so I am in with a list and out as soon as I can.lol

Add