Home Forums Music What – no Classical?

Mizzy Posted 4 months ago
What – no Classical?

I’ve just looked at the Music forum and while I love many genres of music, does nobody else love Classical Music, which happens to loom very large in my life. Nobody’s mentioned it at all!

4 likes & 48 replies
    • Pennypitstop 1st March 2022 at 10:20 am

I like a lot of classical too ! My 17 year old grandson loves it too !.
      Peer Gynt Morning Mood By Grieg , it makes me sappy (sad/happy) 🙂 🙁

• Pertunia 1st March 2022 at 11:32 am

Yes I do

• Colin in Kent 1st March 2022 at 11:58 am

I’m not a fan of orchestral music, but I love piano, it’s a great thing to write to. Chopin and Rachmaninov particularly.

• Nickie 5th March 2022 at 9:24 am

I love those two composers too and are amongst my favourite. I write piano music some of which is quite relaxing and good to have on in the background. Would love share my links if of interest.

• Colin in Kent 5th March 2022 at 10:52 am

I would definitely love to hear that Nickie – please share your links!

• Nickie 6th March 2022 at 2:29 pm

Hi Colin – sorry for the late reply I have just seen your message. I don’t always seem to receive notifications in my inbox. Thank you so much for your kind invitation to share my music. I hope it is okay to share on here. So my website is http://www.nickiehartmusic.com. I will also send you a message with links to other websites where you can listen to my music. Thank you again and enjoy the rest of your day! 🙂

• JRs VM 1st March 2022 at 12:28 pm

🎼Thumbs up for classical!👍

• Reverend Nick 1st March 2022 at 3:54 pm

Classical is too much of a shorthand term to cover a variety of styles – but yes, it’s my preferred choice of listening. I like early music, choral music, baroque and people like Finzi who is probably the only one of those that can be properly termed classical.

I do like modern music (Japanese rock bands in particular) as well but it’s probably a 20 to 80% ratio.

• Steve59 2nd March 2022 at 7:58 am

Tchaikovsky is my favourite. His last movement of 6th symphony moves me to tears everytime

• Archiewinkle 14th March 2022 at 12:53 pm

I agree, the whole symphony is so hauntingly beautiful.
        I once persuaded a friend, a dedicated Stones and Beatles fan, to listen to it in it’s entirety hoping to persuade him to listen to more classical music.
        In fairness to him he sat through the whole symphony.
        After it had finished I told him, with tears in my eyes, that the composer died not long after he had finished it. His reply:
        “ I’m not surprised after writing that!”

• radoman 22nd April 2022 at 9:11 am

Thanks for sharing that story! :-/
          I recently listened to Karajan (recorded in the 70s) and it reminded me what a wonderful work it is. Do you know the Mravinsky version? What a great conductor and the Leningrad orchestra seem to have the music in the very core of their being!

• Deleted User 2nd March 2022 at 9:16 am

I have to say I get more out of the Terry Riley, John Cage. Steve Reich, Philip Glass type of classical music than the more, well, ‘classic’ classical music but I still find some of it does it for me, depending on mood, like anything else really.

• MikeT0501 5th March 2022 at 8:28 am

Technically the term Classical Music only refers to compositions between the years 1750 and 1820 so the vast majority of music played on radio do not fit this definition. Nowadays as people get more and more lazy in their use of language, Classical Music seems to encompass anything not played on the likes of Radio 1 (or 2), Heart or Smooth Radio! Whether the term can be used to encompass anything with an orchestra or choir is open for debate as this would then include such rock gems as Deep Purples’ “Concerto for Group and Orchestra”, music by the Dutch band Epica and even Frank Zappa.
      I can find myself listening to Bachs Toccatas followed by some heavy metal. As long as the listener gains pleasure from the music does it really matter what genre it is?

• brereton59 7th March 2022 at 11:48 pm

Although the classical period is a specific timeline the term classical music refers to a specific genre as opposed to jazz, folk, rock etc

• radoman 22nd April 2022 at 9:21 am

Agree entirely that all music giving pleasure doesn’t need a label. For me the phrase classical music is a label to identify the music of any composers Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, etc., whilst Classical period is what you describe. Of course many composers write as though from another period in time, Rachmaninov for example. I find there’s a lot of snobbery among the classical music fans who are not practising musicians whereas us classical musicians couldn’t care less.

• Nickie 5th March 2022 at 9:18 am

I love classical music perhaps because I was brought up on it, almost exclusively. Now though I do love loads of other music too. I write my own music which I guess some of it is may be slightly classically influenced.

• Tambos57 5th March 2022 at 9:29 am

Years ago my job was a lot more stressful, I found putting classic FM while driving home just completely cleared my mind.

• madeleine45 5th March 2022 at 9:38 am

Music is such a part of my life that |I dont think of it as a separate interest. I am mostly a radio 3 listener and do get my radio times and sit and go through it underlining any important piece I want to listen to. It may sound crazy but I look at a days programmes to work out my job routines. J S Bach is king and I just sit and listen, no other noise distractions allowed. But I will think ah nothing important for me at this time , so can hoover up while this is on etc etc. I love the huge range of music to listen to and if I am doing paperwork the radio is always on. I enjoy well loved pieces chopin rain etude I think it is called . Hands clapping, is very clever and anyone who things it is easy to do should try it, good to take the mind off problems, you need to concentrate. Just heard Farewell to Stromness this morning , lovely piece , Portuguese Fado – lived in portugal for 2 years and was a professional singer with the Gulbenkian choir, feeling angry (like today at the news) Verdi Dies Irae played and sung loudly and with feeling , then the great idea of composer of the week which I try to sample properly . You may not think much of a composer but find pieces you have never heard and grow to like it, or the opposite where you look forward to listening to a week of Mozart but then you need a bit of Nixon in China the chairman dances to give a variety. Record review on saturday lets you hear a whole variety of different recordings and you discover one you did not know but love the sound of. I have a good recording of Matthew Best and the Coryden Singers with the Rachmaninov Vespers , but had to keep my face straight from being a bit of a music snob , when a lady said to me Oh yes I like that Matthew Best and the Croydon singers . we had an old sailing yacht and sailed all up round the hebrides etc and were in a wonderful bay and had come ashore for a few bits and a walk when I said to my husband, who was a great photographer, quick take a photo of me here. He looked puzzled and said well move a bit to the right to get a decent background. I muttered no I want a picture of the street name and this B+B sign , dont want me in it but just do it quick and we will go away. He did as I asked and then as we went away said what was that about? I said you should always check you know what foreign words mean if you are going to use them . Why? well there in the picture the street name Railway Sidings and the b+b name ? Nessun Dorma!!! Loved it and still have the photo somewhere. Well this is like a child with a sweety jar and I had better leave something for another day. Always happy to talk music. Now a widow and live alone – does mean you can have your choice of music all the time – but do miss other music lovers to talk to. Brian loved many kinds of music from brass bands to Wagner but Wagner was his best and we once were in london and managed to get 2 tickets from the cheap last minute booth to go and watch Rienzi , which was one we had not seen live. MY GOODNESS they literally burst through the backdrop with a tank pointing its gun at you. It did make you jump! Never to be forgotten start to a great show. We talked of it often. How sad that the tank is something you could expect to see in real life. On the other hand a great joy in my memory was going to Glyndebourne to see cosi Fan Tutti . A wonderful occasion for the opera, the weather the occasion and at that time you had keen opera lovers there not corporate spin people you are not interested. Ah well , this has let me enjoy joyous memories which you cannot lose. Now got Dennis Brain playing Brittens Tenor Horn and strings. I must go or nothing will be done, but looking forward to hearing musical gems and jokes and pleasures from you all

• Pops McCarthy 5th March 2022 at 10:37 am

I began listening to classical music through being a prog rock fan. Love classical guitar. Guess I’m more of a chamber music fan.

• AnneC 5th March 2022 at 12:23 pm

Am passionate about classical music. Rarely listen to anything else.

• BridJames 5th March 2022 at 12:24 pm

I like a lot of classical music but can only take opera in small doses. The TV ads of the 70s and 80s did a nice job in drawing my attention to many of the classics esp the Hamlet cigar advert which was of course a very likeable performance of Air on the G String. EMI released the first of 4 compilation albums in the 80s which were comprised of these excerpts of classics used in ads and also TV and films. From buying the first one and playing it I felt pleasantly enlightened as to the background of each piece thanks to the generous sleeves in the cassette cases.

• brereton59 7th March 2022 at 11:51 pm

those albums though tend to only give you an excerpt rather than a whole work which is why I would never buy such an album.

• BridJames 8th March 2022 at 5:08 pm

I consider them more to have been a “stepping stone” rather than conclusive within themselves, but for them, I’m not sure my awareness and interest in the genre would have developed as it did.

• radoman 22nd April 2022 at 9:28 am

I’m a practising concert pianist and piano teacher and actually love excerpts and encourage others.

I recently listened to various slow movements of piano sonatas by Mozart, Haydn, Schubert and Beethoven and found this unusual context hugely rewarding drawing comparisons and hitherto hidden connections.

The excerpts referred to in the original post can be hugely influential leading to further listening.

• Deleted User 5th March 2022 at 1:34 pm

You wouild have to go back a bit, but when I joined loads of folk were exchanging their favourite classical titles.

• Susie from Stoke 5th March 2022 at 4:55 pm

Growing up, our family would have music evenings and we’d all pick a track (cassettes and records) . My dad introduced me to classical music, and while i now listen to all genres, we always go and see one of the big orchestras in the spring, when the local theatres hold classical festivals. This year we saw the BBC Philharmonic and they played Rachmaninov, Beethoven and Bizet. It was wonderful! Classic FM when I’m cooking, too.

• diggerssenior 6th March 2022 at 9:02 am

I like classical music but shrilling sopranos and plinky plony pianos aren’t my thing. For an eclectic mix I suggest Scala Radio, less stuffy than some of Radio 3’s offering and less adverts than Classic FM

• brereton59 7th March 2022 at 11:52 pm

its only available online or on digital radio so not accessible to everyone.

• radoman 22nd April 2022 at 9:31 am

Plinky plonk pianos … that made me chuckle! Sounds like my Steinway after 2 years’ neglect. Must call the piano technician!

Listen to Gilels playing Grieg to get a different side of plinky plonk!

• radoman 22nd April 2022 at 9:33 am

Plinky plonk pianos … that made me chuckle! Sounds like my Steinway after 2 years’ neglect. Must call the piano technician!

Listen to Gilels playing Grieg to get a different side of plinky plonk!

• Frank_H 6th March 2022 at 8:16 pm

I love classical music of many types. I have a strong preference for modern classical. I also like opera too, A bit of Vier letzte Lieder by Richard Stauss goes down a treat as does lots of Elgar. I also like many other genres too. No holes barred.

• brereton59 8th March 2022 at 12:17 am

I’m so pleased that you posted this. Its always irritating with the bias towards modern music and assumptions made that classical music is elitist or middle class. I was brought up on classical music and had music lessons and play the piano for my church. Music has always been a solace through tough times and at school I used to escape to the music rooms to get away from the bullies.

Baroque and romantic are my favourite periods. I don’t like classical period especially Mozart although I do like Mozart choral music. I like choral and church music which I was brought up on but don’t like the bias on vocal music and the way radio stations promote vocalists and choral music or the way classicfm treats vocalists like pop stars some of whom aren’t even classically trained. I’m not keen on operas but do like Handel and Mozart.

My preference is orchestral music and concertos. Beethoven was first composer I liked and class him as romantic as thats when he died. I remember as a child sitting with family friend listening to Beethoven’s violin concerto and him conducting it. His own children weren’t musical and as I was particularly musical he liked that. Sibelius is another favourite which I was introduced to when I played 2nd symphony in an amateur orchestra. I also like Klezmer and Gypsy music which my daughter’s violin teacher introduced me to. Monti’s czardas is a particular favourite. I like some 20th century music but not too avant garde or minimalist. Film music and musical theatre are other genres I like.

• Exmoor girl 8th March 2022 at 8:24 am

Agree totally with what you say about the way some singers have made a fortune by singing opera professionally when they’ve not been classically trained. I realise that it’s bringing music to a wider audience snd that is good but it still grates!!!

• radoman 22nd April 2022 at 9:34 am

Wonderful sharing … thank you.

• Exmoor girl 8th March 2022 at 8:17 am

Oh, my favourite genre is classical music! I used to go to so many concerts – I live out in the sticks now and that sort of treat is rare.

• Loriax 8th March 2022 at 1:30 pm

I always listen to classical music whilst driving.

• Antonio Marshall 12th March 2022 at 2:07 pm

I especially like contemporary classical composers like Max Richter, Philip Glass, Michael Nyman, Arvo Part, Peteris Vasks, etc, etc. But I also like a lot of the more ‘classical’ classical music. You’d think there were only about 20 classical composers if you all you listen to is Classic FM, but I often listen to BBC Radio 3 (which is actually far more exciting and diverse than you might think) and I’m amazed at the number of composers there are that I’ve never even heard of.

• brereton59 14th March 2022 at 8:52 am

I’m not that keen on minimalists and the composers you mention but do like other 20th century music. Totally agree about classicfm, however they have introduced me to a few compsers and pieces I hadn’t come across before. The other thing which I find annoying is where people call everything a song even when theres no vocalists.

• John H 14th March 2022 at 11:38 am

I wake most mornings to Classic FM and it’s the only station that I listen to in the car.

I wouldn’t say that I’m an afficionado though, I just know what I like

• Archiewinkle 14th March 2022 at 12:46 pm

Absolutely!
      Loved classical music since I was in my teens(hundreds of years ago now!) if I had to choose a particular favourite composer it would be Beethoven for the sheer power of his music.
      Just an aside….a class of 13/14 year olds were asked to write about Beethoven and one bright spark wrote:
      “ Beethoven wrote music even though he was deaf and because he was deaf he wrote very loud music!”

• Mitsy 15th March 2022 at 9:28 pm

More jazzz for me

Add