Home Forums Money What Next

Add comment

• What Next

I have just paid a class 3 to complete my NIC for the Tax Year ending 2019. The system and the lady told me that I have 3 more years to pay so I can get the maximum state pension. After this year that will be 2 years to go.

At the moment I am living off a lifetime of savings, not vast, but enough. My final salary pension will match the state pension and i have two very small personal pensions that may last me for roughly 7 years.

I am sitting here at my desk, so early in the… morning thinking ok….. what next.

I still sign-on (every 4 weeks bless them). My 6 months of half JSA has long expired. So I sign on just for my NIC. Presumably, if I can keep this up for another two years, the DWP will stop paying my NIC and I will be signing on for nothing and confronted by the choice of not needing to sign on at all.

My JCP staff are genuinely helpful although obsessed with talking about the Civil Service and therefore a good source of information. My Work Coach’s son deals with UC claims.

Questions

1. Am I right in what I say about signing on? Will the DWP stop paying my NIC when it becomes pointless and I will then be signing on just to uphold my claimant commitment, get advice and maybe prepare myself for Universal Credit if my cash runs out.
    2. Are there any alternative sources of information/Advice about Civil Service recruitment.
    3. Does anyone have experience of signing off and then signing back on for UC?
    4. Are there any other questions I need to ask myself

Any Advice/Suggestions/Thoughts welcome.

Posted by Metroman
Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Reply by Steve Cooper

Hi

Can’t offer much on most of your thoughts other than to say in relation to Q#2 (if you don’t already do so) there is a civil service jobs section on Gov.uk. https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi

• Reply by Metroman

Thank you Steve.

I am very familiar with that website , my work coach is almost obsessed by it. Esp since her son and daughter found jobs that way.

I am not sure how i would describe using it because the website itself is very well written and the jobs and details are very detailed. Each time i apply for a job i have to roll my sleeves right up and do a lot of reading and research. Typical of other bodies like Councils & NHS etc. But then i know they have to do all that kinda stuff.

Now i have started looking at companies speculatively, i’ll have to add them onto my list.

• Reply by aislinggray

Hi Metroman, I am sorry to hear about your predicament.  I don’t know the answers to all of your questions but I will endeavour to find out and come back to you.  Thank you for sharing it, we may even do an article offering people tips and advice on this topic as no doubt there are other people asking themselves the same things as you.

Have you seen the job section of our website?  You might want to have a look at the jobs we have available in your local area.  All you have to do is input your town or postcode.  All the employers on our site are age friendly: https://restless.co.uk/employment/

Will be in touch again when I’m able to answer your questions.  All the best in the meantime.

Viewing 1 reply thread