Home Forums General What makes you laugh out loud?

• What makes you laugh out loud?

What is your can’t resist TV programme, film, comedian, writer, friend, colleague that/who has you laughing out loud?

I love quick wit and banter between two friends who bounce the ball back and forth, or someone who can tell a funny story well.

I prefer to watch something funny with someone who is also laughing, but not with someone who is not finding it funny at all.

That said just before Christmas I succumbed to watching GoggleBox after two friends, who aren’t know for watching rubbish tv, told me how good it was. This has found me laughing out loud a few times despite watching alone, as has Peter Kaye, French/Saunders and many comedy series over the years.

Maybe your favourites will remind me of more of mine…

Posted by Gill B
    • Reply by Lesley EW

I agree. Victoria Wood definitely got me. As does Billy Connolly, and of course both Friends and Only Fools and horses.

• Reply by rayletarouilly

I forgot to say, Ken Dodd was BRILLIANT at the Hay Festival; I was laughing so much that I left with a splitting headache…..

Also, some of Michael Parkinson’s interviews with greats such as Peter Ustinov and Spike Milligan are hilarious. Spike’s story of his friend who had an attack of dysentery before boarding a train is one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard; I was crying with laughter…….

• Reply by Gill B

Amazing… always good if the interviewer starts laughing so much too

• Reply by Chaik

Great when you can get them .. I like Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra, and the old favourites from Rudi’s Rare records to Dad’s Army, Goons, and Round the Horn, and ..David steele, and the chris Cooper(?) science based humour.

…..and of course the wonderful “I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue”….the Humph days were great….

• Reply by Gill B

Loved that when driving home from work every night!

• Reply by Gill B

Some of those will always remind me of washing up after sunday lunch when still living at home!

• Reply by Chaik

One on telly that had me in fits , when I had a telly, was Patricia Routledge …I can’t remember the name of the series . Similar to ‘One foot in the Grave’

• Reply by Gill B

Mrs Bouquet .. Keeping up appearances, yes that was really funny

One foot in grave was too!

An audience with Peter Ustinov 1988 – the section where he recounts the time when his mother was presented to Queen Mary is brilliant……it’s within the first 5 minutes of the video. I can’t share it for some reason but it’s accessible on Youtube.

• Reply by GON

Billy Connolly. His comedy style us so naturally funny, being Scottish I can also relate. I actually break it in tears watching him. Theres so many, I loved the two Ronnie’s . At the moment ant and dec get me laughing out loud.

• Reply by Gill B

Yes all of those …

• Reply by jo.bodley

It is quite rude, full of sex and drugs and rock and roll and swearing, but the book ‘Lonely Boy, Tales of a Sex Pistol’ by Steve Jones made me laugh out loud a few times.Incidentally, it is being made into a TV series called ‘Pistol’for the FX channel airing in 2022.

• Reply by Gill B

Sounds good !

• Reply by Lovetohelp

Hi, wow lots of memories from your comments… I love comedy… Miranda, Michael McIntyre, Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock in 2 Weeks Notice, watched recently, Hugh Grant with Drew Barrymore in Music and Lyrics, Maureen Lipman’s character Evelyn, in Coronation Street, saw Comedy Roadshow and Michael McIntyre live, so hilarious, couldn’t stop laughing. Love romantic comedy too. I enjoy lots of American comedy too. Friends, Eddie Murphy, Robin William, there’s just so many to list…..🤣🤣

• Reply by Gill B

Sooo many to choose from .. brilliant suggestions!

• Reply by Lovetohelp

Thank you ☺️

• Reply by Merlot

Tommy Cooper always makes me cry with laughter…..just sheer stupidity… love it.

• Reply by Gill B

Its a long time since I watched any of his performances … he was funny

• Reply by Margaret B

Morecambe & Wise, Les Dawson, Peter Kay, Victoria Wood, Tommy Cooper etc.
      Keeping up Appearances, One Foot in the Grave and just recently Bill Bailey’s Limboland to name a few!

• Reply by Gill B

Haven’t hard of the last one Limboland.

There is so much that can make us laugh!

• Reply by Sandyg

One Foot in The Grave. .and Michael MacIntyre.

• Reply by Gill B

I loved one foot. Sometimes I like mckintyre sometimes not.

• Reply by Christopher Leslie

The late Robin Williams great actor but an even greater stand up. So quick with a brain that was 10 minutes ahead of the rest of us, Victoria Wood always brilliant, Les Dawsonn of those alive today since lockdown I’ve been watching an American Jeff Dunham, a ventriloquist. Really great material and the ability to get you believing the dolls are talking a rare gift. The only other one who could do that was Ray Allen and Lord Charles. and Gary Delany

• Reply by Gill B

Thanks Christopher. I haven’t seen any of the ventriloquists you mention. Love Robin Williams and Victoria

• Reply by Christopher Leslie

Ray Allen passed several years ago in the 60s and 70s he had a TV series tich and quackers then appeared on most of the variety shows with Lord Charles

• Reply by Lindyloo28

The comedian that makes me laugh till I’m helpless is Billy Connolly, also loved Only Fools & Horses. Peter Kay is another favourite too, be glad when he’s back on the box, he seems to be gone a long time now!. must admit have never liked reality tv though does nothing for me.

• Reply by Gill B

I think Peter Kay doe a lot of writing but he as brilliant on his stand up stuff. Del Boy and Rodney of course! I thanks lindy

• Reply by JaneG

The first observational comedian I saw was a Canadian guy called Kelly Monteith who had me crying with laughter. I also like Steve Martin films, gogglebox and Peter Kaye’s stand up stuff. I really hope that he will make a comeback eventually.

• Reply by Gill B

I do too. I love Steve Martin films. Not heard of Kelly monteith. Thanks Jane.

• Reply by JaneG

The Steve Martin version of the Pink Panther has me crying with laughter whenever I watch it. I love the fact that as well as the main story, there are hilarious things also happening in the background.

• Reply by Noel29

One Foot in the Grave.Keeping up appearances.Fawlty Towers.To name but three.

• Reply by Gill B

Yup Noel I am with you not hsie two!!!

• Reply by AdrianSF

I think Lee Mack is one of the most quick-witted and hilariously funny comedians around. I would love to go out for a drink with him and Jason Manford.

• Reply by Gill B

Yes I lee Mack. I don’t watch enough of him, but then I don’t watch much tv nowadays. Thanks Adrian

• Reply by Simon Carwithen

Our young Welsh sheepdog climbing into and rooting around my granddaughters toy box for a doll to play with 😂😂

• Reply by Gill B

Never seen it! If you could add a link that would be fab!

• Reply by FILLYnilly

I love Peter Sellers’ Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther films, Silly but funny.
      Also, Sacha Baron Cohen’s Borat character.

• Reply by Gill B

Oh yes! I loved them too. I had forgotten. Never seen Borat though.

• Reply by Michael Squire

Whose Line is it Anyway, an old channel 4 comedy sketch programme. Showing on All4 – great show.

• Reply by Gill B

Absolutely loved listening to that on my way home from work back in the day. So funny!

• Reply by c.l.saunders

I know a man that drives a bus with a wooden leg called Roger.

• Reply by Gill B

Groan 🤣

• Reply by c.l.saunders

This is actually true. My husband did have a friend called Roger, who had a false leg. He drove one of those charity sunshine coaches for deprived children. Bless him. However, the above always makes me crack up.

• Reply by Edd King

When I want a real laugh, I look at ‘Idiots at work’ on my PC; I rarely laugh out loud, but that programme could keep me going for hours!

• Reply by Gill B

I have never heard of it before but I have just watched a bit. So funny!!! The unexpected and occasional gaffaw! Thank you!

• Reply by Shoshana59

Hi Gill. I’m also a fan of Goggle box, very funny people. I also love watching animals playing. I work in a residential home as a hairdresser. The home is in lovely grounds. While I was having my lunch the other day I saw two squirrels chasing each other up & down trees, in bushes. They tried to outsmart each other, very funny & entertaining. 🤣🤣

• Reply by Gill B

I am with you over the squirrels! And googlebox of course!! Thank you shoshana

• Reply by Jeanius

Gogglebox is my Friday night treat 🤣 I love them all but the brother and sister makes me laugh out loud x

• Reply by Gill B

I have some catching up to do but I do enjoy it!! I need to get it on record instead of catch up all the time.

Bro and sister are my favs especially over the popcorn!

• Reply by Shoshana59

Hi, Jeanius, yes the brother & sister are very funny. My favourites are Giles & Mary & Jenny & Lee in the caravan. 🤣🤣

• Reply by Ely

I like Micky Flannigan. He is hilarious and Kevin bridges the Glaswegian comedian. Both have me in stitches.

• Reply by paxton1974

I use to watch Gogglebox & enjoy it don,t seem to have the time now . Sadly i don,t laugh that much now apart from at my 5 year old . Love Only fools & horses but seen them so many times & see what is going to happen way before it happens . Love watching George Carlin on Youtube i don,t know what he would make of todays situation .Of todays Comedians Micky Flanagan is best for me .

• Reply by Gill B

It’s strange how our general
        Mood, or fir me watching comedy on my own, it isn’t quite so funny or doesn’t make me laugh at all.

Probably have to be in the mood for comedy. Thank you for joking in Paxton

• Reply by paxton1974

Actually i think i laugh more when iam on my own both my kids call me grumpy & just been told to cheer up while sending this . I think i can relax when on my own & watch what i like also . When i was a kid i used to love Tommy Cooper .

• Reply by Mild Mavis

I am (was) a big fan of Terry Wogan, Gentle self deprecating humour. However I used to have to stop the car on the commute when he told those Janet and John stories as I’d be laughing so much.

• Reply by Gill B

I missed those but heard all about them. He was a lovely man and quick witted! Thanks for suggesting him!

• Reply by Roger F

Only fools and horses, Dad’s Army , Spike Milligan and the Goons have me in stitches !

• Reply by Gill B

Agree. All of those.

• Reply by Roger F

Added to the above , The best Exotic Marigold Hotel , The History boys and the Calendar Girls are great for a laugh

• Reply by Gill B

Don’t know the middle one but defo loved the other two.

• Reply by Lindyloo28

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel a great film, thought Maggie Smith was brilliant in it as usual everything she does is great, loved her comment about Green Bananas ( at my age don’t even buy Green Bananas!) And when offered a Sandwich by Bill Nighy (don’t eat anything I can’t spell !) I often wonder if she’s as witty in real life, she’s one Lady would love to have a cup of Coffee and chat with, especially as she was good friends with Dave Allen.

• Reply by Gill B

What about the film Not Him! I found that hilarious in places!

• Reply by esther.bray23

I like to watch Fawlty Towers. Basil Fawlty makes me laugh out loud.

Add