Home Forums General What is mental health provision like in your area...

Forestbather Posted 2 months ago
What is mental health provision like in your area and workplace?

Just being bloody nosy really.

It’s a serious issue and it is not being dealt with.

1 like & 8 replies
    • Badger56 1st June 2022 at 11:02 am

Absolutely non-existant where l used to work, people would leave and not be replaced but the company workload didn’t lessen.

• Grace Williams 1st June 2022 at 11:30 am

Grim!
      I asked my GP for a referral for a psychiatric evaluation in January (For PTSD, as it would have affected my early retirement/pension payout, and only a psychiatrist can legally diagnose it)we are now in June, and I haven’t heard a thing.
      My previous career (NHS) they would go on and on about all the help you could get, then if you tried, it was like trying to get blood out of a stone. So, pretty crap really.
      I found the best way forward with any MH care is to pay privately.

• backofbeyond 1st June 2022 at 12:55 pm

I’ve never worked anywhere that had even the slightest suggestion of mental health backup. It was always ‘do the job or we’ll get someone who can’. That companies have enough interest in their workforce to have any sort of MH provision still seems like a strange idea to me.

As far as the NHS mental health services are concerned there might be a short delay while I pick myself up off the floor from laughing. My wife is a GP and even she can’t access anything. We have plenty of access to mental health professionals – a psychiatrist, a psychologist and a clinical psychologist to name but three, but they’re all family members so not really much help. It’s not that they spend their days on the golf course (although one does as he’s retired), but that they’re swamped. In reality nobody wants to go into those branches of medicine so the numbers are dropping at the same time as patient demand is rocketing. It’s the same with general practice – fewer doctors as nobody wants to do it and more demand. My wife had three patients shouting at her yesterday for lack of appointments but she’s working 14hr days as it is.

• Colin in Kent 1st June 2022 at 1:40 pm

Things are quite different in some areas. My wife is a psychotherapist and gets a significant amount of clients through EAP work – Employee Assistance Program. When someone is signed off work suffering stress, anxiety or other mental health issue, if their company has signed up to an EAP they then find a practitioner in that person’s area, and the company pay for counselling sessions, usually 6 or 8. During lockdown a lot of the work was over the phone or online, so she might end up seeing clients anywhere in the country.

But in general terms, provision is pretty bad. Outside of companies, who can, after all, claim it as an employee benefit, there’s really very little going on. That’s why most counsellors are expected to work voluntarily or are paid very little. Mental health services simply don’t have the budgets or resources and it isn’t often seen as somewhere to spend money. Partly this is because success is difficult to quantify and the NHS has to demonstrate value for its expenditure, and it’s why it now tends to lean very heavily on therapies for which there have been measurable outcomes, like CBT and (increasingly) EMDR. It all comes down to money, sadly.

• gruntfuttock 1st June 2022 at 8:49 pm

Maddening.

• Jockster232 1st June 2022 at 8:56 pm

It is also nonexistent in the Windsor area. I have personally tried to access help and got none. If everyone is saying the same thing then where has all the billions the lying government promised. Stay strong guys. We did it ourselves before we can do it again. #thanks for your help Boris!!!

• Emel 2nd June 2022 at 10:40 am

Absolutely dreadful in workplace which led to my taking early retirement. On the other hand my GP practice takes mental health issues seriously, they have appointed two mental health practitioners that you can speak with at any time regarding the problems you may be having. On the whole, I hold my GP practice in very high regard, they have always acted promptly on any issue I may have had even during covid lockdown.

• Poppy flower 2nd June 2022 at 3:32 pm

I found to my horror that trying to access help with anxiety has been a nightmare
      (after months of wearing PPE during the pandemic) I suffered a panic attack which has left me with severe anxiety.
      I have had 2x6wks sessions one with a private therapist the other with IAPT (which was every other week). Which to me is not enough to help people, I was then referred to a higher Therapist (which I then had to wait 10 wks for) started that end of March had 6 sessions(it’s supposed to be for 17 wks every wk) with her and she has now gone off on long term sick so yet again I am now waiting for another therapist to take me on.
      I was given information on a charity based company where you get 1-1 with a counsellor and group therapy I did not realise how much of a slow process it would be to get better.
      I have very little respect for my GP practice they were not helpful in this matter all they won’t to do is put you on anti-depressants and you can not see them only phone appointments.
      With my experience trying to access help (which you have to refer yourself to) it’s slow and not very helpful I fear it is going to get worse as I think more people are going to need it in the future.

Add