Home Forums Health What have you found most challenging healthwise during lockdown?

Add comment

• What have you found most challenging healthwise during lockdown?

Eating properly

Not exercising

Not hydrating enough

Posted by ginamann13
Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Reply by sylvia.hafan

Can I ask WHY you can’t eat properly, exercise or hydrate?

• Reply by ginamann13

I didnt phrase that very well, those were just suggestions as to what people might have been struggling with during lockdown!

I think the reasons are myriad but mostly because it was a difficult situation to be in and a lot of people, myself included, comfort eat and you lose the will to exercise and look after yourself.

If this didnt happen to you, fabulous!

• Reply by sylvia.hafan

Being alone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yes, I see my neighbours occasionally, really grateful to the 19 year old who does my shopping. I see him for 5 minutes every 10 days.

I am grateful that I have a house, a bed, electricity, water that comes out of the tap but….! It’s a BIG But!

I have reached out and found MIND. I? will have a regular phone call once a week and work sheets to do for the week, but I have been here alone for at least 48 hours – only another 24 to go before I hear another voice. Should be used to it by now- just another “normal” weekend, even before lockdown. I usednto do my shopping on Saturday so that i could go out and find someone to talk to. Can’t even do that now.

• Reply by ginamann13

Oh yes, being alone all the time must be difficult.  I am glad you have reached out to MIND they are a great charity

• Reply by carolmitchell38

Loneliness is  awful & more so because of the lockdown …I am 63 & live on my own I have very lucky to work part time have family nearby who I see once a week but yes I struggled with the eerie silence especially at night .  I really emphasize with you .  What part of the world do you live in  ?

• Reply by sylvia.hafan

I’m in Wales, so still not able to visit either of my sister and I know that their children and grandchildren are going to get priority over me next week. Lol

• Reply by carolmitchell38

Hiya Sylvia from Wales nice to chat ..Such a trying time for you hopefully it  won’t be too long till you see your family again …Stay safe & keep positive .

• Reply by mcdonnellnoreen

I hear you, I am in the same position…. it’s very difficult to motivate yourself, I find myself just looking out of the window for hours on end. Hopefully things will get back to some kind of normality in the coming weeks x

• Reply by sylvia.hafan

I spend a lot of time in my conservatory, watching the sky and taking in the hills. Luckily I’m quite high up and have quite a wide view. I also have a garden which I have also given up on for the past weeks or two, but I have to force myself to go out to tend to my future food! I can’t see all that hard work going to waste- and , believe me, it WAS hard work. I made myself walk to the post office this afternoon, which is not easy at the moment, and I came back the long way, but while I was out I bumped in to an old friend and we stopped and chatted for a few minutes and felt really pleased with myself when I got back- still hurting, but happier.  I have to give myself a goal, a little at a time, one day at a time and it  helps. Today’s goal- either make or go out to buy a birthday card, so that tomorrow I can write a letter and go out and post it. Little and often. Give it a try, you’ll feel better about yourself at the end of the day. 🙂 Chin up. This can’t last forever.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Helen Burns. Reason: White space formatting
      • Reply by maxinesmith1405

Hello.  I have just joined this site.  I was feeling really sorry for myself because I too am alone, until I read your post. Luckily I work in a school and will have people to talk to when I get to work tomorrow. You must be at your wits end not getting out at all.  Honestly..no one seems to understand what impact this lockdown is having on people’s mental health.  This is the next epidemic.  Really hope you find something to do to cheer you up.  Take care..

• Reply by sylvia.hafan

Thanks Maxine, for reading AND replying. 🙂 Yes, I am slowly climbing the wallpaper Lol Today I am looking forward to my MIND “counsellor” ringing me, and my shopping is being done on Wednesday, so ?I will see young George for a few minutes. Other than that Aaarrrgghh! HELP

• Reply by maxinesmith1405

Hello Sylvia.  Really hope you have had a better day.  I hope you got your call from MIND.  More than anything I hope it cheered you up a little.  Can you not got out at all?

luckily I got to go to work today so I get to speak to people, some funny, some not. All very different characters.  One little scotch lady, very quirky and to the point.  She makes me smile to myself.  She only works to the rules, otherwise she’s having none of it…

Young George sounds a very welcome guest if only for a few minutes..just because we’re getting a little older doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a little male company,,,,

Try to keep going…highlight of my evening…watching Corrie..

Take care…

Maxine

• Reply by sylvia.hafan

Yes very constructive phone call. 40mins accounted for. Yes, I can get out but….! Not been able t see my chiropractor for months, so all her work on my spine has slowly undoing itself! I did go to the local post office this afternoon, but only 2 in the queue in front of me. Takes me ages to get there and back, but I did it.  Back to winter out there today- so no gardening. Maybe tomorrow. I usually see my neighbour at some point if I’m out in the garden.

• Reply by karin

Having been diagnosed with high cholestorol just before Christmas, t me statins isn’t an option. I decided to manage this with diet and exercise and my husband enthusiastically joined in, at least with the diet the exercise was one step too far for him, bless. Then COVID hit and my son moved home from university. His dietary needs are very different to ours and we have regressed to the high carbohydrate and red meat diet, cooking in fat and piling butter on the bread, though at least the bread is home made. Of course, the gym closed down and so did the running group, both of which I became a member of three weeks before the lockdown.

And here comes the high kick: my husband is facing redundancy, our main income will be gone. Even though he has been working for higher education for 26 years and reached a status of Professor, the redundancy package (if I can call it that) will be the very basic statutory redundancy pay, nothing we can pay off the mortgage with or even live off for any length of time.

I know we are not the only ones who are facing hard times, and there will be plenty who are having to cope with worse. At least we haven’t experienced anyone close to us having the coronavirus and the rest of our adult children are doing pretty well. Phew!

Life throws curve balls, this one is specifically rug pulling, but I know we will cope. The stress is hitting us both and I am grateful the we are taking turns in dipping down into despair while the other supports and comforts. We are lucky, we have an incredibly fantastic relationship. They say the second marriage is the best, perhaps they are right.

• Reply by Beadyjanet

Being furloughed and not going to work which has meant I have been very lonely

• Reply by ginamann13

Hi Janet

I am so sorry to hear that, have you been unfurloughed?  Not sure that is the right word!  I do hope you have been and are now back at work and spending time with people.

take care

Gina

• Reply by Beadyjanet

I have just been taken back but only half the hours I used to work which is pretty sad less money coming in but at least I still have a job.

• Reply by sylvia.hafan

I know what being lonely is. I have been alone for a very long time, too long. Couldn’t wait to retire- had too many other things to do beside work, but they all involve NOT being at home on my own. Has SO much planned for this summer.. all gone.  Taking solce in my garden- when it’s not raining or blowing  gale!

• Reply by Beadyjanet

I can empathise, I usually love going to various classes and groups, days out on the train, visit a cafe, going to work (part time) all of these involve talking to lots of people, so I’ve always thought I have a lot of friends but it turns out I have a lot of acquaintances, few friends and as I have NO living family whatsoever it’s very sad seeing all the ads about keep talking and keep in touch when you have nobody to keep in touch with.

• Reply by sylvia.hafan

I have found out where my friends are in the past few weeks- and I will remember them. I have two sisters (half sisters) who have their families and grandchildren. My older sister has great grand children, but the only ones I have heard from at all are my oldest nephew and my youngest niece. My nephew is the only one who has enquired how I am. I don’t think I would have had a visit even if he lived nearer. I don’t have a TV, so don’t see ads, but i have a “friend” who seems to watch all day long- drives me crazy. Invited her for a drink in the garden last week. She had to come early and be back by 8 to see Downton Abbey. Cheers, ‘mate’. She doesn’t live alone but has all the cares in the world- knew I’d regret it.

Viewing 3 reply threads