Home Forums General What did you want to be when you grew up?

Utterly bemused Posted 5 months ago
What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was a child I always wanted to join the navy. I ended up spending ten years in the RN. Did anyone else realise their childhood ambition?

8 likes & 106 replies
    • Deleted User 9th September 2021 at 7:25 pm

At some stage I had it in mind to join the police. Became a secondary teacher, and for 25 years a Head. Same sort of thing, really!

• louisebarrow490 9th September 2021 at 7:26 pm

I wanted to be a nurse but at 16 my parents I sister I get a job. A civil servant to be precise. Never did have a job in medicine but loved managing charity shops for several charities.

• Mopsa 9th September 2021 at 7:34 pm

I wanted to be a nurse from the age of 11 years. Unfortunately I contracted tetanus when 14 years old and my parents were told I could never be a nurse because of my fractured spine. I proved them wrong, qualified and nursed for nearly 50 years with never a sick day due to my spine !! Determination is everything.

• Lizzi-Beth 9th September 2021 at 7:46 pm

I wanted to go into the police force on London but I was considered too short at 5ft 3in (needed to be 5ft 4in) but years later they abandoned that idea and height didn’t matter. I became a teacher after doing a 4 year BEd degree when my 4 children were very small. I have just retired early this summer as Assistant Headteacher 😊

• Sand 9th September 2021 at 7:47 pm

I initially wanted to be a nurse, but I could not stand the sight of blood. After I got married I spent the rest of the time working in Tesco until I retired.

• David 9th September 2021 at 7:51 pm

The Ford thing I remember wanting to do was to be a train driver. Then I got into drawing and wanted to be an architect, but after not enjoying engineering drawing. Decided that was put as well. I should have been a journalist f sorts, I was well suited to be a sports journalist, but I always had a hankering to be a war correspondent. When I left uni in 1982, I took the first job that was offered to me, a trainee manager with McDonald’s. I thought I would just be there until I found a proper job and ended up staying for twenty years! They were a good company to work with. After that I had my own pub for ten years and have then struggled to break out of hospitality because whenever I try and get a different kind of employment, I get pigeon-holed! In the past ten years I would love to run a hospital, I would also like to write professionally, and guess what? When I discovered how much train drivers earned I would like to learn that, but trainee train driver jobs are few and far between!

• BEVCOOT 9th September 2021 at 8:04 pm

Stunt women!! then read somewhere that you had to be good at gymnastics!

• holden 9th September 2021 at 8:10 pm

I wanted to be a gymnast but didn’t realise this until I was about 11 and after watching the Russian and Romanian gymnasts of the mid-70’s, I realised I was already too old 😀

• MikeyG 9th September 2021 at 8:13 pm

I wanted to be an Architect…..never happened lol

• Longhotsummer1 9th September 2021 at 8:29 pm

A train driver ,

• NeilO 9th September 2021 at 8:52 pm

As a child I wanted to be a Pharmacist and live in Czechoslovakia!? Why? I have no idea!
      I also ended up joining the Navy and served 8.5 years…my biggest regret was meeting my ex-wife who was also in the the Navy and I became a civvie after meeting her. Looking back, I would have loved to have made a career in the Navy. What branch was you mate? I was a killick greenie.

• Utterly bemused 9th September 2021 at 11:12 pm

Hello mate. I was a killick sparker. Served on a couple of small ships where I had to do the bunting’s job and enjoyed that far more – preferred being on the bridge to being stuck in the MCO

• gordloch 9th September 2021 at 9:58 pm

Long before computers and CAD I wanted to be a draughtsman. Didn’t pass my maths so ended up in local government management. However I still enjoy drawing up plans on paper for any house or garden refurbishments

• NYC to UK 9th September 2021 at 10:31 pm

When I was little I wanted to be a nurse but my mother insisted that if I wanted a career in medicine, I should be a doctor as there was no boy job/ girl job nonsense in our house. In high school I decided to become a makeup artist and made a good living while getting my Master’s degree to become a teacher. The teaching career burnout led me back to makeup artist.

• Utterly bemused 9th September 2021 at 11:14 pm

Make up artist sounds fascinating. What field were you working in – films/advertising?

• NYC to UK 10th September 2021 at 3:30 am

Nothing quite so glamorous. NY Fashion Week once (and never again as it is too much of a pressure cooker!) Mostly weddings, charity benefit season, the odd theatre job and a few cancer patients. One of my clients got me started on teaching people how to shop for makeup based on what suits as opposed to copying a celebrity. I strive to make a person look like the prettiest version of themselves.

• Collieflower2 9th September 2021 at 10:52 pm

I wanted to be a car mechanic. A family friend tried to get me into a certain car manufacturer in Luton to become a mechanical technician. Excuse not to take me on was that I was 18 and you had to be 17!!!!! Personally I think it was because I was female. I became a nurse and my first job was a scrub nurse in Orthopaedic theatre. Plenty of “mechanical” sets to play with. Do I regret not getting to be a mechanic – nope. I enjoyed every experience I had as a nurse.

• Fuff 10th September 2021 at 8:26 am

A singer, didn’t help that I can’t sing and am tone deaf 😂😂

• Keith D 15th September 2021 at 2:38 pm

i am very surprised that yo gave up trying to be a singer because when you hear some of the drivel that comes out of so so called singers gobs these days, i am sure that you would have made millions. we used to call the rubbish that came out of many singer gobs a pure racket, and they were booed of stage, but today anything is acceptable ??
        many years ago i was told not to sing as i sounded like a strangled cat, but now i am a member of a choral society, rotary singers and another mixed singing group and i get compliments about my singing and my voice .

i achieved one of my dreams , which was to sing as part of a massed mixed voice choir at the Royal Albert Hall. it happened in 2009
        now if i apply to join new choirs, i only have to mention my past choirs and sing and am admitted as a singing member

• Fuff 16th September 2021 at 8:29 pm

I don’t think you can possibly sound like a strangled cat. How exciting to sing at the Albert Hall, quite an achievement.

Maybe I should have been born a bit later then I might have made it lol

• Keith D 16th September 2021 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for the compliment. When I was?in hospital I was on traction and had to lay down for 3 weeks.
          I was lucky to get to sing at the royal Albert hall. Choirs had to be members of the national association of choirs to qualify.
          I now sing in a choral choir and mixed voice choir. I’m not doing the choral choir Christmas concert, as it will clash with my santa shifts
          I prefer to read music from sheets and not use just lyrics
          Take care and keep singing.i missed it for 18 months

I went to the last fund raising concert in 2018, as the musical director was retiring at age 82 and no one else had offered to take over.

• Writeaway 10th September 2021 at 9:11 am

As a child I wanted to be everything I admired: musician, dancer, explorer, artist, author, archaeologist, nurse, fashion model…..I tried a few, but couldn’t decide so not surprisingly I didn’t achieve any ambitions. Now I’m nearly 71, I’m trying to find out what I really like doing! 🙄

• Lynnee 10th September 2021 at 10:11 am

I always wanted to work with animals but joined the Royal Navy and stayed for 21 years.

• Christopher Leslie 10th September 2021 at 10:33 am

I wanted to be an actor ended up as an entertainer

• Utterly bemused 11th September 2021 at 12:03 pm

What type of entertainment did you go in to?

• Christopher Leslie 12th September 2021 at 7:51 pm

Started off at holiday camps singing, comparing, DJing with Rory Blackwell, then went to Portugal as ents manager came back and went gigging and in house ents manager at leasure centers Al leasure centers. Retired from all that when my son got ill apart from the odd guest spot in shows. A bit of TV as well. When my son passed I’d been out of the biz for too many years to go back so went into mental health outreach

• JenniferJB 10th September 2021 at 11:00 am

I always wanted to be an air hostess. Then when I was at senior school I decided to be a shorthand typist, which I did when I left school.

• Keith D 10th September 2021 at 11:38 am

firstly i wanted to be a policeman, but i wasn’t tall enough, the same applied to the fire service; although I did become a part time retained fire man

But from being about 17 i wanted to join the Army . i eventually joined at 24 and served 10 years and 3 years in the long term reserve

i eventually went to university and got an HND in Social Sciences.

• aspie auntie 10th September 2021 at 6:27 pm

I wanted to be a cartoonist.

• TmonT 10th September 2021 at 6:33 pm

A. bank teller till I found out you did not get to keep the money 😂

• diggerssenior 11th September 2021 at 9:17 am

I swayed between wanting to be a bus driver form when I was about 8 years old to being a farm worker/manager from when I was about 16 years old. I succeeded in being a bus driver and worked on farms occasionally at weekends

• Brighton Belle 11th September 2021 at 9:48 am

Hairdresser

• Caroline of Smoggy land 11th September 2021 at 10:56 am

I wanted to be a hairdresser. Couldn’t find anyone to take me on. End up drifting from one government scheme to another. Eventually found I was good at Reception and Switchboard, that I liked being up front and not behind the scenes, that I liked variety and to be on the go. Discovered that I don’t like data input – monotonous, boring and repetitive.

• Terry75 11th September 2021 at 12:08 pm

Always wanted to be a soldier. Joined the Army as a 15 year old boy and served 12 and a half years Royal Military Police.

• Angierae 11th September 2021 at 2:24 pm

My plan was to be rich, then I got married and had two children so that was the end of that!!🤣🤣🤣

• ChrisPhotographer 12th September 2021 at 1:42 am

I wanted to be a Marine Biologist or a Countryside Ranger, I succeeded as one!!!

• Jayy12 12th September 2021 at 1:57 pm

I wanted to be a vet but that never happened. I joined the Civil Service

• Bloke4763 13th September 2021 at 8:53 am

Bigger… lol

Add