Home Forums Family & Relationships What can I do to help a suicidal son who doesnR...

Gw Posted 6 months ago
What can I do to help a suicidal son who doesn’t want help? I’ve tried everything I can think of.
13 replies
    • Deleted User 20th November 2021 at 12:54 am

If he is actively suicidal then whether he wants help or not he needs help.
      You can call his GP or 111 as they have a mental health section now.
      You cant deal with this on your own.

• Gw 20th November 2021 at 4:15 am

I have tried these avenues many times and nothing comes of it. We have been in this situation for years now.

• Gw 20th November 2021 at 4:38 am

I am on my own. My son is 25. His dad died when he was 14. He overdosed in front of me a few months back and I called 999 (after calling 111 earlier). The mental health team discharged him in the morning because he was being uncooperative as he was still under the influence of the drugs. He has rung his GP in the past and tried many antidepressants. He gets ill a lot. The mental health team agreed that this is why he becomes suicidal. He came home to live with me at the beginning of this year so that I could look after him. He is in bed most of the time. He needs motivation.

• Shirlann 20th November 2021 at 10:55 am

The mental health teams are useless were going through a issue with our daughter but they didn’t want to know

• RosieG 20th November 2021 at 7:29 am

This must be so hard for you GW. I don’t have any solutions for you, I wish I did. I have two sons and I cannot imagine what you are going through. Do you have support for you? Are your family and friends there for you?

• Gw 20th November 2021 at 8:09 am

Thank you for your reply. I was really close to my brother and he helped a lot with my son. Sadly he died in 2019 at the age of 56. I feel really alone without him. I have another son who is married and who has just become a dad to a little girl. He doesn’t really have any contact with his brother. I think he thinks all this is down to him and he doesn’t have much sympathy.

• debm19 20th November 2021 at 8:56 am

GW, so sorry to hear what you are going through, contact the samaritans they can give you help and advice for you as well as your son also try Mind , if you seek help for you in how to cope and deal with this horrible situation your both in, it may open doors for him to get help, my heart goes out to you and hope he starts to want to get help

• Always 20th November 2021 at 9:41 am

GW I have been where you are and as such my heart goes out to you. It is the most painful thing to watch someone you love be in such a dark place that they no longer want to live

My son was at his worse 10 years ago and I tried everything that is described here and more but nothing worked. I sadly don’t have any words of wisdom for you other than to say as his mum just be there ready with your love at all times. My son was twice sectioned under the mental health act and I sat with him in the hospital for days on end in silence. He didn’t want to talk but has since said it helped knowing I didn’t ever give up on him even when he had given up on himself

He is in a better place now although he struggles to conform to what he believes are society’s expectations of him and he occasionally slips back into old ways but I thank my lucky stars for him every day

Finding people to talk to helps but most people want to fix things which in these types of situations is usually not possible. You have my up most respect for you bravery in reaching out and I hope that you and your son will help each other through this very difficult time xxx

• Marica 20th November 2021 at 9:42 pm

Always, your words were amazing, so sorry you have had all this and for GW too. I do look at my son sometimes as he suffers with depression and it scares me to think this could ever happen. I agree the mental health services for young people are rubbish , my friend has a very ill daughter if 18 and she has been down every avenue for help yet has met a lot of opposition and disregard from the very people who she has asked for help in authoritative positions. This country is falling apart where mental health is concerned, it is all lip service with no substance for professional help

• Gw 20th November 2021 at 10:07 am

Thank you. So grateful for your words. I too have tried everything from rehab to psychiatrists. I am here to support him as long as he needs me and he gets all my love and lots of tlc. That is the easy bit. As you describe, it is heartbreaking for me to see him in such a dark place every day. I feel I should do more. The situation we are in is not a good one and I agree probably not fixable.

• Markie Sharkie 20th November 2021 at 10:42 am

Hiya. I can’t imagine how difficult this is for you. As said in a previous post, be there and be a mum, take time to listen. I wonder if there is a mental health crisis line in your area that you can call when your son is really unwell? Also I would suggest looking at support groups that might be able to support you. If active I would suggest an ambulance. There is an app you could possibly suggest which is called Stay Alive and there is Sane.org.uk that offers online support. I wish you both well.

• Gw 20th November 2021 at 10:54 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I will give them a try.

• Chris Frederick MHFA 21st November 2021 at 3:25 am

I’m very concerned fo read this post and suggest you call Papyrus then Youngminds in that order as they can absolutely help.

I have an active role in mental health advocacy and will signpost you if you can msg me directly I want to help you and your son.

Add