Home Forums Science & Nature What are your thoughts on how life commenced on th...

Fluff Posted 1 year ago
What are your thoughts on how life commenced on this planet?
1 like & 34 replies
    • adeliza0165 4th May 2021 at 3:44 pm

I have a theory but not sure others will agree…

I believe that we were a very primitive state – animal-like. Then some sort of beings/aliens visited us and bred with us, producing a race of intelligent human beings.

Chariots of the gods by Erich von daniken… interesting theory 🤔

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 4:07 pm

I am firmly into the universe and everything in it being created.
      When Francis Crick worked out the double helix of DNA (whilst under the influence of LSD) he said there is no way such a machine and that’s what it is a machine could possibly come from out of the mud by accident even if you had twenty trillion years for it to happen.
      He couldn’t and wouldn’t allow any space for a creator God so surmised that aliens must have built this and sent it or placed it on earth for something to replicate be saved whatever which might fit in with adeliza0165 scenario.
      Did you know that each human has ten billion miles of DNA inside them?
      Strung out into space it would neatly encircle the entire solar system.
      Now that to me makes a mockery of the theory of evolution and if the universe and the big bang are real and that’s coming more and more under question now then miracles had to happen!

• adeliza0165 4th May 2021 at 7:03 pm

Interesting…maybe God was an alien but the word alien was confusing and unacceptable so he was called artom (from atom) and then later was called God.
        Did he arrive (possibly with others) from a disintegrating planet to start life over here and bred with what was here…🤔 Or was a male and female (adam and eve) put on earth by an alien (God) from a disintegrating planet to breed here. Or were Adam & eve the aliens and bred with what was here🤔 or were Adam and Eve some primitive ape like mammals, were bred with by aliens to create a more intelligent race.
        I think the Bible has touched on something but it has been written in a way which would be accepted and understood.
        It can can be ambiguous, depending on how you interpret it…

• Nick Tilling 4th May 2021 at 4:40 pm

It has recently been postulated (oo-er!) that just as we are a goldilocks planet – just the right distance from our star (temporarily) so we have a goldilocks universe in that a fraction one way – everything way over the top for life and conversely a fraction the other way not enough stuff to even get going.
      Is it true? I don’t know.

As for the development of human beings as we are now – I’m content to throw my hat in with the theories of a series of improbable but not impossible steps from a single cell to what we are now – and of course we aren’t done yet, the next phase from Homo sapiens to homo augmentis has already begun in a minor way with artificial aids for organs – however, cyborg style development may be a dead end compared to a tertiary AI version of ourselves. I doubt we’ll see it in our lifetimes but that doesn’t mean to say it can’t or won’t happen.

As for being initially created by a divine being as per the major religions – unlikely but not impossible. I never like to dismiss things out of hand – I’ve had some great discussions with my Jehovah’s Witness friend Bro. Jones. Useful tip – if you are in a busy pub and can’t get a table to yourselves, just start talking about Jehovah God and and his purpose for the world – people will part like the Red Sea to leave you on your own!

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 4:52 pm

Intelligent life- as for there reasons who knows.

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 5:15 pm

The big bang theory is under stress as is the Darwinian evolution story as more and more knowledge accumulates.

The beginning of the universe can you believe had no beginning according to scientists and the science well into the 1920’s. It had simply always existed and couldn’t possibly have had a beginning but the scientists had t bow down to the religiously minded and say OK it’s looking like it did have a beginning after all.

Lets go with the big bang theory.

There is no space for it to happen in and no time so no moment for it to happen either.

Bang everything starts flying out of what is labelled as a singularity labelled but not scientifically explained very well.

This big explosion if I can call it that is still happening as everything is still hurtling outward and at an ever greater speed apparently so it’s far from over.

All that rock and metal and liquid not only hurtling along but being created at the same time.

Where is it hurtling too?

Does it create the space needed ahead of itself?

In the midst of this massive out spewing of material some atoms accidently organise themselves and start thinking… and then build a big telescope and look back and see… wow we’re part of a big explosion!

That is what would be called a miracle but somehow it has been called science which is a nonsense.

• VFP 4th May 2021 at 5:28 pm

I figured out the biggest influence on my emotional state (ie I get hangry), having thought through the cake vs crisps (cake) and how weather affects my mood (it doesn’t). Now you want to know how we think life started on planet earth? That is a leap too far for me! What do you think?

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 5:37 pm

It’s the big things that create the interesting all night conversations over a bottle of whisky.
      Not for the majority of people it would seem though.

• VFP 4th May 2021 at 5:50 pm

I’m all for interesting all night conversations over a bottle of whisky! But not on my own in front of my laptop. Especially when my 91 year old mum is expecting our nightly Skype call from me in a minute and she may get alarmed if I slur my words 🙂

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 11:37 pm

Can you imagine travelling across space and coming across planet earth? What a stunningly beautiful sight and so full of life.

The most complex thing yet discovered by man in the entire known universe so far is… the human brain.

What do you see with?

Your eyes.

What do you hear with?

Your ears of course.

What do you smell and taste with?

Your nose and your tongue.

All those answers are of course wrong.

You do all these things with your brain.

Take the eyes for instance.

They let light in but not very far.

The light is converted into electro chemical signals which in the long run are sent to the back of your head which is in total darkness.

No light ever reaches your visual cortex.

Light is totally unknown to this complicated bit of hardware yet here full 3d high resolution movies are played out whenever your eyes are open.

Your visual cortex is at the moment showing a movie of the device you are reading and writing on.

The signals also go other places like memory taste sound smell emotion as you remember and recall things.

Thing is if your visual cortex that has never experienced light in any form is playing the movie of what’s outside your head inside your head in complete darkness… who is it that’s watching the movie?

You presumably would answer that you’re watching that movie but where are you?

Lying on a couch in the darkness at the back of your head at cortex central directing things?

• Deleted User 5th May 2021 at 2:45 am

Forget this planet and look at the whole universe as being conscious.
      This might sound like mumbo jumbo at first but it’s where more and more science is leading to.
      The more science learns and discovers the more it seems that the ancient prophets and religions were right all along and the latest cutting edge philosophy and quantum science is having to accept that no matter which direction they take no matter how many times they shy away from the brick walls of spirituality they keep coming up against no matter how many new approaches they make they keep coming back to the spiritual.
      Science with God is much more interesting and fruitful than science that denies him.
      This video is seriously worth watching.This is serious science not quasi religion or philosophy.

• Andy Paddles 5th May 2021 at 7:43 am

Fascinating discussion – I used to work in a residential school for troubled kids – if used at the right time a bit of quantum could bring even the angriest teen back to earth – where does space go?🤔

The distinction between “God” as a creator and humanity’s evolution of religion is interesting! A large part of religion appears to me to be about control – whole different subject for discussion!

And finally I guess we need to give as much thought to where we’re going as we do to where we’ve come from, the Aliens, God/s, Gaia whichever you choose are surely thinking “what are those silly buggers doing now!”

• Shirlann 5th May 2021 at 10:43 am

Go with Darwin 🤔

• Deleted User 5th May 2021 at 1:04 pm

If we do originate from alien life, are they still here, do they visit, would you if you knew the human race were like.

• Nick Tilling 5th May 2021 at 3:35 pm

It was the Astronomer Fred Hoyle who coined the phrase Big Bang when talking about the the earlier work of Fr. Georges Lemaitre. Odd to think that a Catholic priest came up with the concept of the singularity event – or perhaps not so if you are religiously inclined; tipped off by the Guv’nor maybe?

Hoyle was a an adherent of the “Steady State Universe” – always been there always will be. Very clever bloke naturally, but backed the wrong horse on this one.

Bing Bang is a misleading phrase because it immediately conjures up an impression of a huge Hollywood CGI explosion out of nothing. The “something” that the current universe came from was already there – just much closer together very very hot – the Big Bang was the sudden rapid expansion of that space – which although it has slowed down considerably, is from our perspective still going like the clappers. Already galaxies have disappeared over the observable universe horizon – that is to say we will never see the light that comes from them.

There are some interesting talks on this on You Tube from the genial Dr. Don Lincoln at Femilab, the stern Dr Zabine Hossenfelder, and our very own Dr. Becky Smethurst – who sings as well!

• Colin in Kent 5th May 2021 at 5:30 pm

Well, there’s one theory of course, that the entire universe and our existence in it is a computer simulation. Scientists have a number of ‘thought experiments’ and evidence that would need to be established for us to be able to prove this is the case. One observation that has been suggested for this is the existence of the ‘Dark Flow’ – astronomers have discovered that distant galaxies and galactic clusters (I think over 700 have presently been discovered) are being pulled along in one direction at over a million miles per hour, moving on a straight line from our solar system towards Centaurus / Hydra. Nobody knows what causes it, and, assuming some sort of gravitic pull (and assuming it isn’t a statistical anomaly) – there isn’t enough matter in the known universe to account for it. As Nasa’s website puts it “Its existence suggests that some structure beyond the visible universe — outside our “horizon” — is pulling on matter in our vicinity.” Suggestions range from another universe entirely, with completely different laws of physics – to the inside of the computer which is running our simulation.

• Deleted User 5th May 2021 at 9:26 pm

Elon Musk believes it’s all a simulation and he wants to know what’s outside the simulation.

• Colin in Kent 5th May 2021 at 11:19 pm

The problem is we could never know that because any data gathered would be part of the simulation.

I remember being freaked out by a Michael Moorcock story I read back in the 80s about a warrior who advanced into the raw matter of chaos. As he did, countryside, towns and people sprang into existence, all with fully formed memories. The point being, the human race could have come into existence five minutes ago, and if we were provided with memories and simulated data we wouldn’t know. It’s one of the ideas behind the ‘Boltzmann Brain’ theory of the universe – that we’re all just disembodied brains existing in space with a false memory of having lived in our (non existent) universe.

Theoretical physics really does go to some very strange places.

• Deleted User 5th May 2021 at 11:48 pm

I think Elon hopes to contact whoever runs the simulation!

I remember twenty years ago reading about a brain experiment that might be possible in the future…. we might well be in that future now.

You take a brain and place it in a glass pot of vital fluids.

Every part possible is wired up to computers.

The brain is fed information.

You’re going to work you’re getting ready for work you’re working etc.

To that brain it would all be very real.

You go on holiday you sit on the beach and feel the sand between your toes.

Joy pain laughter heartbreak success can all be there.

The brain sees it smells it feels it.

That brain would have no idea it was on bench in a jar.

Any brain can be connected to the internet now making you possibly the wisest person on earth…. freaky stuff.

Have you seen Elon Musk’s Neuralink…. well worth a look around the net and YouTube.

This thing already exists.

I’ll leave you to your own searching rather than link.

• Flufff 22nd December 2021 at 4:05 pm

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I spoke around this subject with one ofmy daughter’s and although not realising a conclusion, she agreed that the subject could have a number of differing answers as one question/answer just throws up another.

• backofbeyond 27th December 2021 at 10:53 pm

There is of course the seemingly unacceptable in this day and age option of taking a closer look at what people who work through the actual evidence for the origin of life have to say. By which I mean the scientific evidence. If you’re going to embrace some of the alternatives that have been suggested above you should at least consider the evidence based hypotheses with equal intellectual rigour.

The ‘trouble’ with science’s explanation is that it’s long and complicated and requires a fairly high degree of background knowledge to follow the evidence trail. As you said, trying to answer one question just throws up another – something that’s inherent in the scientific approach – and as some of those questions currently don’t have answers it leads some to dismiss the whole evidence chain as a house of cards. That, I would suggest, would be a mistake.

If you want to know the most likely route by which life evolved on this planet then at least investigate, understand, and weigh up for yourself the two hundred years of evidence based research that’s brought the explanation science provides to its current state before you look elsewhere.

• Mad Ralph 28th December 2021 at 12:33 am

The building blocks for life have always been part of this planet. We have the ability to analyse the human body and break down its components (carbon, hydrogen etc)

There’s nothing alien to this planet that makes up a human. IMO the only answer is evolution, we see it all around us especially at the moment with covid mutations happening every few months.

I’m sure the brain is developing (mutating) from generation to generation. It’s evolution in progress.

When our habitat becomes inhospitable we’ll die off and something else will develop that adapts itself to the new conditions.

History tells us this don’t you think?

• Deleted User 28th December 2021 at 8:47 am

Certainly think the planet was visited by somebody/thing far more advanced than what we are today.

Why though is the question, for what reason.

As science advances and more information/findings come to light, it will be interesting to see what we learn.

• Tennis Son 19th February 2022 at 1:04 pm

When the Earth formed 4.6 billion years ago space reached the temperature that is the boiling point of helium at atmospheric pressure.

This is unlikely to be a coincidence. The helium gas may have made its way into rocks that fell to earth the gas could have created pressure for organic chemical reactions that would otherwise have not taken place. So in my opinion life will only be found on planets the same age as ours !

Add