Home Forums Photography What are your recommendations for a beginners DSLR...

Debskidoo Carmarthenshire Posted 2 months ago
What are your recommendations for a beginners DSLR camera? …. and, would you advise second hand?
1 like & 9 replies
    • Gerard371 14th November 2021 at 8:54 pm

Nikon cameras normally have a help menu on them which explains what each setting does. The d5300 is a good camera to start with, it’s light and size why not to big.
      Amazon is a good place to buy from, but ideally you need to visit a shop, to get a feel for the camera.
      People now tend to buy mirroless cameras, so the viewfinder is a little screen that replicates what the sensor sees, rather that what you see.
      They are smaller, but have tended to get bigger because then they are easier to hold, and more balanced when you attach a large lens.
      Wex is a good place to view the various makes and models, and also check YouTube reviews of any camera you intend to buy .
      At some point, you will get more enjoyment out of the camera, if you buy editing software, such as Photoshop, but an easier software is Luminar Ai, which you can buy outright and is very user friendly.
      Most people will shoot in jpeg, but ideally shooting in raw is better, because you have much more information to edit, and can bring detail out in over and underexposed areas.

• Reverend Nick 14th November 2021 at 10:24 pm

I’ve always got on well with Panasonic’s Lumix range of cameras starting from around £400 to £1500+ just for the body – It’s the former I’ve bought –

Here’s the big decision though, unless you’ve got money to chuck around all over the place – most of us have to decide for either an okay camera and a really good computer for the post processing – or t’other way about.

I love making artwork on my iMac – specced up to the max. Is this important? Depending on what you want to do – yes. A lot of digital programmes like Photoshop need a really good processor and video ram to get the best out of them, otherwise you can sit and read War & Peace while it renders whatever effect you are trying to achieve.

I’ve personally given up using Photoshop – not because it isn’t any or good but because of Adobe’s subscription fees which can range from a £10 – £50 a month depending on how much of their suite of products you want to use. Quite a lot of people have jumped ship because of this.

As an alternative I can recommend The Affinity range of software. It does 99% of the same thing and only costs a one-off payment of £50 for each of their three products – Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher.

I also have Luminar AI – very good for replacing skies but has the downside of not having layers. This is shortly to be rectified with the release of Luminar Neo coming soon.

I’d also recommend getting a drawing tablet and pen – Wacom are the best known though there are cheaper brands that have a good reputation. It really does make a difference – trying to use a mouse with the brushes panel is like trying to draw with a brick!

• Debskidoo Carmarthenshire 14th November 2021 at 10:44 pm

Hmmm, I already have an iMac…. thanks for the advice 👍

• Nickie 15th November 2021 at 11:03 am

I purchased a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 second hand just under a year ago or so and it was almost new. It was from an Amazon seller. I paid about £200 for it. So personally I would recommend going down the second hand route if you are starting out and ensuring you check the quality of the product at time of purchasing. They usually state if it is good, nearly new etc.

• MikeyG 15th November 2021 at 11:24 pm

You cant beat the color science of a Canon they are famous for it and ive had a Nikon and a Panasonic Lumix and in my opinion I love my Canon 5D mark II full frame, but thats my personal choice.
      Yes I would definitely say go second hand, but make sure if possible that the camera has a low shutter count, I would say most camera begin to go down hill after around 100.000 – 150.000 actuation’s, best shutter count is around 50.000 if possible

• SteveInWales 16th November 2021 at 8:48 am

I downloaded shutter count software and connected my Canon M6 mk2, and although the software recognised the camera, I couldn’t get it to bring up the details. But I know the shutter count on mine is very low as I’ve used it mostly for video and not stills.

• Kenton 16th November 2021 at 8:34 am

I recommend a Canon EOS DSLR 2000D it’s got pic modes which are great for beginners and it’s a good price. Have fun 🧑‍🏫

• SteveInWales 16th November 2021 at 8:46 am

I’m a YouTube content creator and at the beginning of last year I bought a Canon M6 mk2 with EVF (electronic view finder), but this turned out to be the wrong camera for my needs, so I’m trying to sell it, but apart from being contacted by a few scammers, I’ve only had one genuine enquiry. I have since purchased a different camera which is much better for my needs.
      I agree with Rev Nick about the cost of Adobe software and I have changed to other software, (Davini Resolve), which I find is just as good and is free, but this is for editing video, not stills.

Add