Home Forums Book Club What are your favourite self-development books?

• What are your favourite self-development books?

What are your favourite self-development books, and how have they helped you?

Posted by Team Rest Less
    • Reply by Seasider

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, teaches you to stay in the present. Easier said than done tho!

• Reply by Julespoppy01-

Love listening to Eckhart

• Reply by Mel212

I love The Power of Now, but what I remember was I must have fell asleep whilst reading it and had a psychic dream! I”ll have to re-read it to see if it happens again. It was a long time ago.

Melody.

• Reply by Haley

Anthony DeMello the way to love…

his conferences on the internet also…beautiful soul

• Reply by g

Listen to ‘ the happiness half hour ‘ on radio 4 podcast.

• Reply by beichris

“Quiet” by Susan Cain although in reality her 10 minute TED talk will save you having to read the book. Spent my life as an introvert but not at all shy. Realised from this Talk (book) that so many people were this same type and how they have dealt with others not understanding what that means. Life changer for me!

• Reply by puffin90

The Road Less Travelled by F Scott Peck – its a classic and starts with the line ‘life is difficult’. It then goes onto explain that if you start from that premise you can choose not to be phased by challenges and difficulties but treat them as things to work at and through – there is much more to it than that but I found it really helpful.  I also love ‘Feel the Fear and do It Anyway’ by Susan Jeffers – much lighter – it has really helpful explanations and diagrams to help you expand your comfort zone!!

• Reply by Julespoppy01-

I’m reading ‘how to kill a narcissist’ very eye opening

• Reply by loislane

Yes, you kill them by not responding, cutting them off from their supply that they need, they hate being ignored.

• Reply by DarrenUK

Currently working through the Artists Way by Julia Cameron. It’s a spiritual self development book using our creative side to help discover who we are. It’s widely available and a lovely book that seems to prompt one to explore your own creativeness.

Attachments:
      • Reply by Maria Writes

I’ve followed the Artist’s Way a few times, the morning pages and the artist’s date and after around ten days you really do start looking at things differently.
        It’s the perfect way to fill your creative well. Enjoy!

• Reply by Julespoppy01-

I’m thinking if getting this book , do you still recommend ?

• Reply by DarrenUK

Hi Jules, yes I do, it’s a lovely book but you need focus and time to sit with it. But I am finding it helps and does change your thinking.

• Reply by Anonymous User

Also ‘The Power of Now’ by Eckharte Tolle and ‘The Untethered Soul’ by Michael Singer.

• Reply by Cyclebunny

Feel the Fear and do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers

• Reply by vaughanpauline

Cyclebunny
        . I would agree wholeheartedly. That book changed my life. I still live by it although I read it many years ago

• Reply by jennyfrazer57

Women Who Love Too Much by Robin Norwood did it for me!

• Reply by Worcester Gardener

I’m a big fan of Gretchen Rubin, she has written a number of very practical books about making/breaking habits, small ways to increase your happiness, and clutter clearing. She has a great podcast which she hosts with her sister Elizabeth – ‘Happier with Gretchen Rubin’.

• Reply by SGarnsworthy

Autumn Leaves by Robin Lloyd Jones, celebrates creativity in later life

• Reply by Michael Squire

Definitely anything by Jim Rohn

• Reply by Gary K

I get a lot from biographies about (or autobiographies by) inspirational people – not necessarily famous people or celebrities. Also, fiction which is biographical, i.e. where the author has created fictional characters within a story which occurred, but to protect the participants’ identities.

• Reply by Vixster

The Secret Lives of Men by James Hawes is a really good read – not too heavy and in bite sized chunks – to understand men’s emotional fitness and lack of.

• Reply by PeteY50

Shooting the Monkey by Colin Turner the book is meant to improve you in a business environment but it is so much more.

• Reply by mark il postino

The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters . The best self – development book Iv’e read in a long time.

• Reply by SteveDunn1969

Getting Things Done – David Allen
      Ultralearning – Scott H. Young
      Atomic Habits – James Clear
      Deep Work – Cal Newport

All have been useful in helping me develop my own personal productivity system. Plus, I’m a horrible proscrastinator and they’ve all provided strategies to help me focus a little better. Oh look, a squirrel!

• Reply by karsteele

Favourite self development books. Any of Ruby Wax, and some of Matt Haig.

• Reply by Mel212

My favourite self development book is The Success Principles how to get from where you are to where you want to be .I read it 1 and a half times and there is so much in it I wished I’d found this earlier. I did but I left it on the shelf because I was cursing the price of good books at the time and so left him on shelf. Oh, well!

Melody.
      I have always loved reading.

• Reply by Patrington1a

Bring out the magic of your mind, changed my life.its an old book by Al Koran. One example, by packet of polo mints, hand one to all your mates at work.cost approx 90p They will reciprocate, giving you toffees, quality street,apples and stuff like that. Value approx £5.00.. Try it. It works for me even after 50 years………..

• Reply by Gooders

How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie

• Reply by TrishS

Reading one just now called Positive Solitude. Found myself alone after many years and have been finding it hard to cope. Book is certainly pointing me in the right direction

• Reply by Clevedon girl

HSP BOOK BY ELAINE AARON

Add