Home Forums Local Groups England Kent What are your favourite lockdown books?

Liz H Posted 1 year ago
What are your favourite lockdown books?
1 like & 6 replies
    • Mary w 29th January 2021 at 1:57 am

Singing in babylon jeff lucas.about to be feleased.

• mazarron04 29th January 2021 at 4:15 pm

I have just read Away with the penguins by Hazel Prior. A mix of fact and fiction. Light hearted and thought provoking. I really enjoyed it.

• Colin in Kent 11th February 2021 at 2:23 pm

I have too many! Currently reading the Ghost Stories of EF Benson, Ghostland by Edward Parnell (an autobiography about growing up in the 70s), and have just finished Company of Liars by Karen Maitland, which is probably the best historical novel I’ve ever read. Set during the Black Death of 1346 and involves a group of very different people coming together, who set out across England to try and outrun the pestilence. Each of them has a story to tell, and as the plot unfolds we find that each is in one way or another a liar, and their secrets will prove the group’s undoing.

• Liz H 11th February 2021 at 3:42 pm

That last book chimes with what we’re going through today. Will try it.

• Colin in Kent 13th February 2021 at 11:57 am

Will be interested to know what you think. I recommended it to our book club, and a number of people said it was the best for that year. In fairness, the book club leader hated it for the same reason a number of the Amazon reviews mark it down – it’s billed as a ‘historical novel’ (and is very accurate about life in the 14th century) but it does include elements of the supernatural (the key member of the group is a child who casts runes whom the others come to believe is a witch). To me, it demonstrates just how deeply the belief in superstition ran and was a part of everyone’s lives in those days, but this might not be your cup of tea.

• Liz H 18th February 2021 at 5:05 pm

Hi Colin
      My copy of this arrived today. I bought it online from Bookshop.org – they support independent bookshops. I’ll report back when I’ve read it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Add