Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure What activities do you enjoy most during the winte...

Team Rest Less Posted 1 year ago
What activities do you enjoy most during the winter?

Jigsaw puzzles and stargazing are a couple of our favourite winter activities – what are yours?

2 likes & 53 replies
    • Christopher Leslie 8th December 2020 at 8:26 pm

This year unfortunately its watching TV with the dog. I’m not a great TV watcher usually but with no local activities going on, and my home has been reorganised so many times this year its all that’s left

• LeighS 8th December 2020 at 9:55 pm

Jigsaw puzzles are great, never thought I would say that! Since the start of lockdown 1 I have been doing jigsaws. I have been doing them on a homemade jigsaw puzzle mat in the corner of my living room. In the next week or so I am planning to put up my Christmas tree, which goes in that corner. Now do I move the jigsaw mat or put the tree somewhere else?

Gardening in the winter is also fun. I enjoy raking the leaves and trimming the bushes ready for spring 🙂

Leigh

• Jimper 9th December 2020 at 2:47 pm

I enjoy the garden but not too keen in this weather, my son has a plot in Lilford where we been making raised beds ready for next year.

• Deleted User 10th December 2020 at 8:48 pm

I enjoy my dancing and a swim once a week

• KayDanceStyleSparkle 14th December 2020 at 3:09 pm

Dancing!

I am delighted to say that we have two new “rest less” Zoom dance groups all ready to begin classes in January, on Wednesday afternoons and Friday evenings. We have already met on Zoom, so have made new friends from all over the UK, and are looking forward to our new “rest less” ventures. Something fun and new for the new year, something fun and new to look forward to every week, and a fantastic way to improve and maintain fitness levels.

Not just for the duration of Covid-19 restrictions; for as long as we wish to dance together. Why not?

😊

• Gaetano 14th December 2020 at 3:32 pm

Why not indeed Kay! This is a great idea: dancing “uses and strengthens your emotions, cognitive skills, physical abilities and social connections – all of which are vital skills for daily life. Not only is it sky high on the fun factor, it’s really good for your health!”
          Thank you so much for organising that!

• KayDanceStyleSparkle 14th December 2020 at 3:40 pm

Spot on, Gaetano!

I’ve enjoyed organising the classes and, or course, meeting other members of our fabulous “rest less” community.

😊

• esther.bray23 16th December 2020 at 12:52 pm

I like to swim but with osteoarthritis it made it harder for me to kick with the left knee and hydrotherapy at the hospital is still on hold.

• NYC to UK 10th December 2020 at 9:01 pm

A long walk every day regardless of weather. I am lucky to have the Hednesford hills on my doorstep.
      Covid19 and knee issues equally put a stop to skiing.
      Reading, TV, crafts, jigsaw puzzles of beaches and Art Deco Miami Beach which then get glued and mounted for my walls.

• esther.bray23 10th December 2020 at 9:30 pm

I Like to do crotchet and knitting.

• Adeline 11th December 2020 at 12:02 am

Started c2 5K recently when the gyms were closed. Love exercising, long walks in nature, reading and navel gazing 😀

• Yellow Socks 14th December 2020 at 12:14 pm

Sorry Adeline I do not understand c2 5 K or navel gazing.
        Do you watch, aircraft carriers, battleships, cruisers, patrol boats or submarines?

• Andy Paddles 14th December 2020 at 3:13 pm

Couch to 5k – it’s a fitness / running thing. Sounds good!

Navel gazing is I think staring at small oranges – less interesting!

• Adeline 14th December 2020 at 10:56 pm

It’s a 9 week programme to build up running stamina. Are you interested?
          😀😀😀 yes I love navel oranges. But I’m referring to umbilical cord, navel.

• Adeline 14th December 2020 at 10:53 pm

Yellow socks??? 😀 couch to 5k is a running app to encourage people like me, who don’t like running, to run. Interested?

Navel gazing not naval. Means I do nothing.

Am just a paradox 😗

• Grenouille 26th March 2021 at 7:11 pm

Did C2-5K September-December and now run several times a week, often 4-6k and sometimes up to 11k. It has become something I need to do! It’s a really fantastic app that I would heartily recommend!

• Adeline 26th March 2021 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Grenouille, I’ve stopped running a few weeks ago having reached 8km. Your reply will spur me on 🤞🏼🤞🏼

• Grenouille 4th April 2021 at 10:20 am

A rest from running is good, you will most likely feel refreshed and will have a great run! I have had a week’s break – been walking a lot, adopted a rescue dog this week 😉 Will teach him ‘run’ soon 😂

• Adeline 6th April 2021 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Walking is much easier than jogging. Been doing lots of walking too. Looking forward to explore new places to walk 🚶🏻‍♀️🚶🏻‍♀️🚶🏻‍♀️Have you got dog running yet 😂

• fushiapink1 13th December 2020 at 4:36 pm

I like to read, go for walks, learning to make candles, been busy painting xmas cards for my family, been baking gingerbread, and made some fudge for xmas presents!

• Deleted User 13th December 2020 at 7:35 pm

Long walks and getting creative with textiles

• Yellow Socks 14th December 2020 at 12:16 pm

Still looking for something!!!

• Murphy 6 14th December 2020 at 3:20 pm

Volunteering with local community groups

• Andy Paddles 14th December 2020 at 10:48 pm

I do pretty much what I do in the summer, just with a jumper and maybe a coat!

• Andy Paddles 14th December 2020 at 11:14 pm

Would you care to hazard a guess Adeline? 🙄

The outdoors is definitely my happy place! Ideally on or by the water, but I’ll make do with a field, a forest or a mountain. And if you can chuck in a castle!!! 😁

• Andy Paddles 15th December 2020 at 10:10 am

More than happy to share bite sized morsels of whatever I’ve got Adeline! 🐥

• Andy Paddles 15th December 2020 at 1:35 pm

OK, trade some thoughts :
      You’re in London (I think) I’m in Cumbria.

What’s the best and worst thing about where you live?

• siandeve15 9th January 2021 at 9:48 am

I’ve always been a do-er
      Not much into sitting & watching TV or surfing the Internet all day.
      I love diy.
      I’m making a bird table
      I find feeding & watching wild birds strangely therapeutic.
      Try it.
      Its doesn’t cost very much to get going & gives endless hours of entertainment.
      Go to any £ shop & buy fat balls, peanuts & black Niger seeds.
      Go to Quality Save to buy cheapest bird feeders.
      When filled hang from a tree or whatever but closish to a window so you can watch in your house without disturbing the birds.
      Works for me.
      Let me know how you get on or if I can br of any help?

• Yellow Socks 9th January 2021 at 8:29 pm

Meditation

• Deleted User 21st January 2021 at 12:50 pm

Sitting in front of a roaring fire with friends and hot chocolate. Having a walk on a bright day in the countryside.

• KayDanceStyleSparkle 22nd January 2021 at 10:27 am

Dancing with lovely members of the fabulous “rest less” community in our new Wednesday afternoon and Friday evening dance classes! What fun!

Not just for the winter – for as long as we wish to dance together!

Cha-Cha-Cha!

😊

• Christopher Leslie 22nd January 2021 at 1:56 pm

Any thing that gets me out in the snow. When it happens

• NYC to UK 22nd January 2021 at 5:28 pm

I used to enjoy skiing and ice-skating, but sadly in lockdown I settle for long walks in the hills.

• Rad 23rd January 2021 at 12:49 am

I like making EDM and selling it, gardening, building projects, walking, cooking banquets, discussing politics, wine & beer and planning where to travel in the world

I rarely get bored

• Deleted User 6th April 2021 at 12:14 pm

Sitting by my open coal fire sipping whisky but you can’t do that all the time!
      Trying to make electronic music and uploading it to the internet.
      I have half a dozen projects on the go but have had them on the go for months and haven’t uploaded any of them.
      Can’t seem to get inspired.
      As predicted it’s turning out to be a long cold winter.

• Delya 12th December 2021 at 7:51 am

Just started a Movement to Music group for women. Great fun so far we have 10 members and socially distance.

• Kasik 11th February 2022 at 12:19 am

Snowboarding

Add