Home Forums General We are thinking about how to spend our last “act...

Annieartblue Posted 10 months ago
We are thinking about how to spend our last “active” years and wonder if anyone knows of a “chummery” where a few “chums” or like-minded people live separately but share facilities, services etc. It would be interesting to find out how these function.

Are these independent but private sociable “chummeries” the way to go?

1 like & 5 replies
    • Fluff 12th April 2021 at 8:55 am

There is a Hippy type commune in Scotland. Maybe a few more around the country?

• Annieartblue 12th April 2021 at 2:24 pm

Thank you but that’s not quite what I have in mind. I have heard of land being bought communally and old buildings being renovated for independent accommodation etc.

• Vixster 13th April 2021 at 7:51 pm

It does though sound like a commune – you don’t have to be a hippy to want to live communally!

• Annieartblue 13th April 2021 at 8:31 pm

Co-housing projects might be the way foreword, I think. There are some interesting ones around, it seems!

• loislane 14th April 2021 at 11:47 am

I’m sure there was a book written about this, fiction, but where people were asked to contribute a certain amount, to buy a big property say for six people, each having their own rooms but sharing the communal areas. I think it’s a great idea but you would have to choose people/friends really carefully based on principles of how you want to live.

Add