Home Forums Volunteering Volunteer, never again.I offered my services to 3...

Patrington1a Posted 8 months ago
Volunteer, never again.I offered my services to 3 big charities, none of them got back to me.
1 like & 31 replies
    • walkthewalk linuxmail 9th April 2021 at 8:11 pm

Cinnamon Trust?

• loislane 9th April 2021 at 9:31 pm

They are possibly waiting to see how many of their volunteers are coming back, could be a waiting game, but a nod to say they received your application would have been nice.

• Globetrotter15 9th April 2021 at 11:36 pm

I to have applied to many charities to volunteer my time.
      You’d think all charities would snap your hands off but no so.
      It’s as though they don’t really want you but are always crying out for volunteers.
      I’ve given up trying to much hassle.
      Go figure.

• Patrington1a 10th April 2021 at 9:42 am

That’s the problem I had,I volunteered for several charities, only one got back to me…..I bet they only want my money and not help. Their loss. I’m occupied with hobbies and interests so sod em. How you doing globetrotter?

• alanski 12th October 2021 at 6:46 pm

You hit the nail on the head there – they just want your money, not your help.
          I’m having a similar experience with cat rescue charities. I would like to adopt a stray cat and have been contacting various registered organisations, expressing my interest. The don’t answer the phone or reply to my telephone messages. The do not reply to SMS messages or emails, but all their web pages have a facility for making a donation…

• Deleted User 14th July 2021 at 11:56 pm

I suspect that they have to jump through a few hoops (due diligence) when validating applications, and are short of hoop-jumpers.

• Vixster 10th April 2021 at 7:38 pm

I think it is often due to them being voluntary orgs that they don’t seem to have great admin and processes. I now volunteer in a charity shop as they are often looking for volunteers. Other roles I wanted in a local library and with AgeUk were incredibly frustrating re them losing paperwork, not communicating anything etc. I might try again later in the year.

• Patrington1a 13th October 2021 at 2:29 pm

Hi, they dont lose paperwork they just dont want you!. Find a hobby or interest, enjoy your life, I do!.

• Vixster 13th October 2021 at 4:36 pm

I enjoy helping others as well as doing lots of other things. Anyway once chased they followed up my application – the pandemic caused some issues as you might expect.

• SueJ 11th April 2021 at 9:11 am

Large charities get lots of money and volunteers. Try smaller ones but appreciate they are often run by volunteers. A local charity I support has only 2 pt administrators and, understandably, their priority is helping their clients. Don’t give up, don’t take it personally and go local! I’m sure you’ll be well received.

• JustMary 15th July 2021 at 8:04 am

I run a charity and always looking for volunteers. Big charities are inundated with offers of support .

• AutumnRocks 15th July 2021 at 7:29 pm

I’m involved in Scouting and we are always looking for volunteers, We offer flexible volunteering ie we will take any help on offer! It’s great fun and you get to play! we have those who sign up as leaders, those who help occasionally, exec members who don’t need to go near the young people! and help with specific activities or skills. You don’t have to be Bear Grylls, just someone who wants to be part of a team. We have volunteers of all ages and backgrounds.

• H. 18th July 2021 at 9:44 am

Don’t give up! I’m volunteering at an Animal REscue, a CPL and the Guidedogs. They are all busy charities so you do need to show up, knowkc their doors etc…..keep at it! Good luck x

• Rehteah 10th October 2021 at 8:59 am

That’s sad that you feel like that, most local charities are desperate for volunteers, I would strongly suggest you try them

• Patrington1a 10th October 2021 at 4:47 pm

Not a chance, I’ve gone back to my love of photography. I’m doing quite well and chat with other photographers on several apps. The charity had their chance and blew it. Their loss.

• Beekeeper 12th October 2021 at 3:12 pm

Try local community groups they are usually keen for help and you would meet people in your own area and see the fruits of your labour which is often difficult to see with the large charities

• Incurably Curious 10th October 2021 at 7:01 pm

I actually manage a large volunteering programme (1000+ volunteers) and we have a recruitment pathway that aims to be fair and inclusive. However, organisation/charities, just like companies, have to adhere to policies and regulations and sometimes people will volunteer their services but on their own terms and not ones that would benefit or enhance the organisation/charity. It is then that I have to reluctantly turndown their application. However, I always give the applicant other suggestions and options for them to follow up with other organisations/charities. Volunteering, has over the years, become far more regulated. It has to be because of the numerous allegations and safeguarding issues that have come to light. This is a good thing as it keeps both the organisation/charity and the prospective applicant safe. I truly believe that volunteers are the backbone of our society and that everyone has the ability to shine. It just may take time to find the right charity/organisation for you and just as importantly, for them.

I hope this helps.

• TmonT 10th October 2021 at 7:11 pm

Try good moves it’s a charity job website

• Patrington1a 12th October 2021 at 4:32 pm

Nah. Thanks all the same, they had their chance. I would have given 40 hours a week to charities. Now I give 40 hours to ME.. selfish or what…..

• SouthernSoftie 12th October 2021 at 12:31 pm

I think its best to look at local small volunteering opportunities.
      Quite a few in my area. Great way of meeting others and feeling useful.
      I like to be able to help but in an ad hoc way..

• Patrington1a 12th October 2021 at 2:33 pm

Nah, decided to be selfish and enjoy my hobbies…not enough time in the day now to help charities or volunteer.

• Michael Bennett 12th October 2021 at 4:35 pm

You wanted to do it a one point in time and feel rejected. I understand how that can feel. Don’t be totally put off or get bitter though. Volunteering can be very rewarding if you find the right organisation. Care homes are always crying out for helpers. If that would be enjoyable, I can put you in touch with someone.

• Chris Frederick MHFA 13th October 2021 at 4:10 pm

Which ones out of interest?

I got as far as being signed up by Hestia for a F2F Befriender role which is quite important right ?

Did the DBS background check and got the all clear.

Sat through an hour of safeguarding training with a test which I passed,

Provided 2 references all good 👍🏾

Yet after all that they never got back to me and even when I told them I’d moved onto another role they didn’t bother to respond 🤬

• Patrington1a 13th October 2021 at 4:22 pm

Hi. It was age uk and the blind society.neither got back to me. Their loss. I was willing to give at least 40 hours a week. I was in sales for 19 years, I know how to talk and use empathy etc etc.

• Chris Frederick MHFA 13th October 2021 at 4:48 pm

Well just looking at both their LinkedIn pages I’d say they’re too big with many moving parts. I tend to go smaller nowadays with direct access to the CEO or senior leadership 💡

• leachbut 14th October 2021 at 12:08 pm

I volunteered for the NHS at the beginning of Lockdown. Talked to some lovely people on the the phone and shopped for some. However, when it came to getting help for them it proved difficult and when one lady had to drive herself to hospital for a procedure because I couldn’t get her the help from the Doctor I called it a day. It wasn’t the first time it had happened and of course the people were annoyed with ME!!!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 14th October 2021 at 1:49 pm

Story of my life. You are not the only one. Sad to say I have volunteered for a number of charities in the past, mostly household names. I shant name them, but I’ll never give them a penny…..The one exception was “Continuum” which you’ve never heard of. They were genuine.

Add