Home Forums Food & Drink Veggie Christmas dinner recipes please

aislinggray Posted 2 years ago
Veggie Christmas dinner recipes please

For all you veggies and vegans out there… what are your favourite recipes for Christmas dinner?

For the first time in our house, this Christmas the veggies will outnumber the meat eaters! I have a yummy nut roast recipe that I use regularly for Sunday lunch but keen to try something new this Christmas to make it feel a bit more special.

Inspire me please!

3 likes & 13 replies
    • VFP 1st December 2020 at 11:59 am

Two recipes: ‘Maple glazed parsnip, chestnut and fetah loaf https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/maple-glazed-parsnip-chestnut-and-feta-loaf/ I serve it with mushroom, onion and red wine gravy and also cranberry sauce. OK it’s got lots of nuts in it, but so perfect for Christmas. Another good one is : Butternut squash, spinach and goat’s cheese pie https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/butternut-squash-spinach-and-goats-cheese-pie/ Both can be frozen in advance, but you need to practice with the butternut squash pie a few time to get it right. It takes a surprisingly long time to defrost! I serve it with chutney or pickle.

• aislinggray 1st December 2020 at 1:38 pm

These sound delicious. Will definitely try the parsnip and feta loaf – thank you! Do you have a recipe for your gravy as well?

• VFP 1st December 2020 at 3:43 pm

I do it slightly different every year. If you google mushroom, onion and red wine gravy you will see a number of variations to choose from. Whatever the gravy, your parsnip and feta loaf will be loved by all. If you want to freeze it in advance freeze it uncooked and then bake it once you have defrosted it. I have done this many times and it has been fine.

• Deleted User 1st December 2020 at 6:52 pm

Definitely going to try that. Never cooked for a veggie before

• aislinggray 6th December 2020 at 9:35 pm

I tried this recipe today. Thanks so much for recommending it. It was delicious and has earned itself a spot on our Christmas lunch menu!

• Deleted User 1st December 2020 at 12:33 pm

I’m going to try making a seitan roast from EatPlant-Based, not tried before, with some mushroom and onion gravy.

• aislinggray 2nd December 2020 at 11:32 am

Talk to me about seitan – have heard of it but never eaten it or cooked with it. What’s it made from?

I associate it with being a ‘fake meat’ but I might be doing it a disservice!

• Deleted User 2nd December 2020 at 6:53 pm

Ive not had it before either. its not a fake meat, its made from vital wheat gluten, which is what u find naturally in flour. Ive seen people extract it from flour by rinsing until just the stringy gluten is left. Vital wheat gluten is ready prepared. Mixed with vegetable flavourings and beans or mushrooms it makes a textured baked loaf. Lots of varations available online. I thought it wd make a good roast dinner. Only time i do one is xmas!

• Team Rest Less 4th December 2020 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for the insight ninn, you have taught me something new today! Will you do a practice run before Christmas? If so, please report back and let us know if you’d recommend it

• Deleted User 4th December 2020 at 6:37 pm

Yes i think u better, I’ll try a quicker to make variation. Dont want to discover i hate it on big day 🙂

• Deleted User 1st December 2020 at 3:15 pm

Not a recipe, but for those on their own like me, or who have just the one veggie/vegan to cater for for Christmas lunch, the Coop have this yummy looking offering. I shall be trying it myself, it sounds delicious 🙂

• Flame17 3rd December 2020 at 9:13 pm

I think my great-grand-daughter will enjoy that so far she is the only vegetarian in the family. Thank you will have a look at the Co-0p.

Add