Home Forums General Uplifting national anthems

Deleted User Posted 12 months ago
Uplifting national anthems

You would think every country would want an anthem which is uplifting, raises the hairs on the back of your neck, fires you up like the Scots, Welsh and Italian anthems.

Wish we had something more uplifting

1 like & 10 replies
    • Dreamyboy 12th June 2021 at 12:18 pm

The French national anthem beats the rest hands down.

• Shirlann 12th June 2021 at 3:03 pm

Ours is a bit slow and ok if you’re a royalist (which I’m not)🙄😁

• Fluffy 12th June 2021 at 4:21 pm

yeah , most are like funeral dirges 🙁
      the Germans are about the best when they belt out Deutschland Uber Alles.

• Fluffy 12th June 2021 at 4:22 pm

Jerusalem should be ours (england) it’s more about the nation than god save the queen

• Deleted User 12th June 2021 at 4:25 pm

Cymru am byth! I have to concede victory to the land where I reside. Quite like the Scottish and American contributions too – but God Save The Queen still stirs my heart as an Englishman born 🙂

• CAAS 12th June 2021 at 4:58 pm

Ours is is Dire. No disrespect to Her Majesty. Land Of Hope And Glory, which is played for England’s Gold Medal Winners in the Commonwealth Games, should be our National Anthem.

• Nick Tilling 12th June 2021 at 5:09 pm

Agreed about La Marseillaise being the most stirring and up and at ‘em – and then in the rugby the wrong France turns up and throws the game away! Still my favourite team though!

I also like the Italian fratelli Italia – which is almost like a 3 act opera.

Ours is very dull and monarch centred – nothing against Her Maj but it’s only a few plane crashes away from having to sing it to Prince Andrew. If they ever changed it, it would be written by a committee and then made even worse. So unfortunately it’s a case of sticking with it – with the possible exception of Purcell’s “Britons Strike Forth” can’t remember whether it’s from King Arthur or Boudicca.

• Heyjude68 12th June 2021 at 9:52 pm

Couldn’t agree more

• LeighS 12th June 2021 at 10:15 pm

Having lived in the USA for a few years I am rather fond of the The Star-Spangled Banner. Land of Hope and Glory would be a good alternative to God Save the Queen for this country. Jerusalem would also be a good choice, I loved it when it was played in Chariots of Fire.

• Marica 12th June 2021 at 10:45 pm

Personally , I think Billy Connelly got it right when he suggested the theme from The Archers!

Add