Home Forums General To Tip Or Not To Tip?

CAAS Posted 12 months ago
To Tip Or Not To Tip?

When you go out for a meal, do you tip your waiter? If you do, isn’t the amount left to your discretion? Well it appears not, at a new Restaurant which as opened in Nottingham ( about 8 miles up the road from where I live) have gone all American, that is your Tip is added to your bill automatically, at a rate of 12.5%.
A person who has been there and spent £80.70 on food and drinks, was presented with a bill of £90.80, a tip of £10.10. He asked for the tip to be removed and tipped £5 he considered this fair, as only he and a friend had dined. Your thoughts, should tips be automatically added to your bill? Or should it be left to your discretion to the size of the tip you leave?

1 like & 12 replies
    • Fluffy 10th June 2021 at 3:29 pm

tipping should be discretionary , i always tip but if the service is good i tip generously

• Dreamyboy 10th June 2021 at 4:09 pm

Discretionary – always find it a minefield when in the States, never want to upset them – had a friend many years ago chased down the street by an irate waiter for not leaving a tip! Loved it a couple of years ago when we went on holiday to Japan, the Japanese look upon it as an insult to be left any extra money, it was lovely!

• Nick Tilling 10th June 2021 at 4:59 pm

Yes indeed, unless the service was absolutely dire, which is relatively rare, I always tip around the 10% rounding it up if it’s an odd amount.

It’s all part of the unwritten code of conduct for eating out (like not asking for tap water!)

At the Matlock Bath Balti all the staff make a point of coming over and saying hello, how are you? regardless as to who actually gets the money come the bill time.

Was shocked a couple of years ago that Michel Roux Jr kept back the tips for the staff at Le Gavroche. He’s since been shamed out of it.

I’m sure they stick it onto your bill at Loch Fyne fish eateries, but where ever it was, I asked the girl “Do you actually get any this?” And she replied that it was shared out among all of them.

If we have a delivery, I slip the driver a couple of quid too.

• Deleted User 10th June 2021 at 6:23 pm

Tips are usually Discretionary. The recommended amount is usually 10%.
      But who are you tipping?
      Usually you get served by more then one stuff member. Person taking your drinks order, person taking your food order, or the chef.
      Now days if the tips is add to the bill, then it goes into a pot and shared among the stuff at the end of each moth.
      But if you had one staff member who may have taken all the order and even recommended foods, and remembers you as a regular. Then I always tip that one stuff cash in hand.

• adeliza0165 10th June 2021 at 11:14 pm

Was this by any chance ‘Bills’? We were in Nottingham centre last week and had a bite and drink there. It came to around £30. They added the tip, an extra £5 so we paid it but we didn’t feel that we needed to tip anymore on top of the tip.

• Vixster 11th June 2021 at 12:02 pm

I always tip at 10% unless really bad/excellent service. I don’t mind it being added to the bill and they do that at quite a few places anyway. I won’t eat anywhere that they don’t pass the tips onto the staff as they are the ones on minimum wage and on their feet all day.

• Sue47 13th June 2021 at 12:29 am

I suppose some would say I’m old school as I always tip for good service at 10%. The only person I don’t tip the my hairdresser as she owns the salon (apparently it’s not correct to tip a proprietor) so I always give her ‘ice-cream money’ for her children. Poor service will get a mediochre review of 3 *’s or less.

Add