Home Forums Technology Thoughts on upgrading smartphones; is it just a mo...

Suziku Posted 4 months ago
Thoughts on upgrading smartphones; is it just a money grabber?

I’ve established that my 4 year old S8 is no longer updated and therefore not compatible with an app I was thinking of using. However, it’s more the security aspect I’m interested in as the Which article I read says that without the latest updates it’s open to hackers. I’m quite security minded, it has a lockscreen, I use my fingerprint or irises to open bank apps etc so don’t want to be unwittingly susceptible.

7 replies
    • Pennypitstop 11th October 2021 at 9:56 am

Hi Suziku
      I had the same smart phone for about 8 or 9 years and upgraded last year. It really depends on what you use your phone for, if it is just for texting and calling then you don’t need to upgrade in fact you don’t even need a smart phone. If you use a phone for google maps sat nav, checking emails, doing a search on google when you are not home then these things begin to get very slow and don’t load properly so you will need to upgrade. Also you can download apps ie I have now the got the Nectar app, Lidl app. You don’t need to spend a fortune on a phone mine was £150 new and does alll the above and more. Also the cameras are very good on smart phones nowadays. Some people will spend 100s on phones especially if they are caught up in the apple i phone cult. I stick to Samsung which can do everything that i need one for and more. Hope this helps 🙂

• Suziku 11th October 2021 at 10:02 am

Sorry, I should have elaborated. I use my phone for everything, including linking to my car media screen via an app. I’m really just after advice on how susceptible phones are to hacking once the operating systems are no longer updated.

• Gerard371 11th October 2021 at 10:22 am

If the phone has stopped getting security updates, then that’s the time to start considering changing it.
          These days I buy the phone SIM free and pay for the sim separately.
          Vodafone shops and O2 do some good deals.
          Sometimes it’s nice to treat yourself to a nice phone, and I’m currently looking at the OnePlus 9pro.

• Suziku 14th October 2021 at 9:36 am

Well, I did my research and decided on an A52 5G, wanting to stay with Samsung. At the shop, after discussion, they suggested I go for the A12, at nearly half the price, so I’ve done that. So far, I’m very impressed, particularly with the ‘fingerprint’ activation being on the side button rather than on the back which it was on the S8. Also, after a few false starts, it seems to work better with Android Auto which I use with my car. It’s just so BIG lol.

• TmonT 11th October 2021 at 2:36 pm

Money grabber I think most people don’t use a lot of the features on their smart phones So as long as you can do what you need to why change it

• GrahamL 14th October 2021 at 10:43 pm

I recently bought the Samsung S21 plus. Big mistake as its too big for my pockets so gone back to using my S8 again for another year. I will eventually start using the S21 but wish I’d gone for a cheaper and smaller Samsung now as I paid about £750. The cheaper ones at £250 still does everything so I was a bit stupid for spending that much.

• Deleted User 20th October 2021 at 8:56 pm

Funny thing is an awful lot of green minded people keep on consuming when they really don’t have to.
      My phone must be around 7 years old and I have no plans to be upgrading it.
      It’s a phone I make and receive phone calls.

Add