Home Forums General This year’s camping days are almost touching...

• This year’s camping days are almost touching distance. Different, this time but it can’t come soon enough. Hope the easing of lockdown is inspiring travel days for the Restless folks.

Attachments:
    Posted by The Happy Camper
    • Reply by Mary A

Can’t wait to head up the West Coast of Scotland! Been stuck in Dumfries & Galloway for too long now!
      Where are you off camping?

The Police chased loads of happy campers off the wild camping site at Mennock the other day. Apparently it was heaving…… can’t say I blame them for trying though, we’re all just desperate to be out in the great outdoors!

• Reply by The Happy Camper

Hi Mary,
        I know the feeling. Ready to head outdoors now.
        My wishlist this year has to include The Forest of Dean. Not too far from Lancashire.
        Will probably head out on some shorter trips beforehand.
        The last camping trip I did was spent exploring the Highlands. Your trip up the west coast of Scotland will be stunning I’m sure.
        The North Coast 500 is a trip
        I’d love to do someday.
        There are so many places yet to see. Can’t head out just yet but the planning can begin and that brings a smile!

• Reply by Margaret B

Enjoy wherever you decide to go

• Reply by Mary A

Seems to be the middle of April in England…… not long! If you get to Scotland, just remember….. You don’t want to be eaten alive! 😀 Happy camping!!

Attachments:
        • Reply by Gill B

Being fair I am definitely one to be eaten alive! Thanks!

• Reply by Mary A

Me too Gill, I’m even whiter than a milk bottle! Fake tan doesn’t fool the wee blighters either! 😱😀

• Reply by Josie The Black Country Wench

We were going to get the motorhome ready to head out late April/early May but the weather being so cold as put me off for the time being. The van really needs a good clean and stocking up with all the essentials for a good trip. She’s got no water in her at all at the moment we drained her down at the begining of winter. But when the weather warms up we will be off for a few nights locally just to see how I cope since the heart attack.

• Reply by Gill B

Oh that will be exciting Josie! A bit of normality for you!

A bit of normality would be great. I am told that I am making good progress, which gives me hope for the future.
          I have so many places I want to go and so many people I would like to meet in person. Yourself included

• Reply by Gill B

Do you actually have a campervan Mary? Is that how you take your hols? Alone? I am really hesitant about the solitary thing in a van but love the idea, and the freedom.

• Reply by Mary A

Hi again Gill, my brothers both had them but I’ve never owned one. I’d like to! I’ve been on holidays on my own but I tend to visit friends as I have a few in Scarborough, Middlesbrough and Cambridge.
          I think I could manage about three/ four nights on my own though, as long as I was on the move and exploring somewhere new. One of the best holidays I’ve been on was spent with three friends touring the coast of Ireland. We saw loads of places in a week, kissed The Blarney Stone, listened to tonnes of Irish music in pubs, just had a fabulous time really. I’d love to do it again! So, alone, not really sure. I’d like to say yes but it’s probably no. So I’m not really The Lady in the Van. 😂😂
          I might be in my older age though……. watch this space! Lol

• Reply by Gill B

I like the idea of going on holiday in one but don’t think I’d purchase one. I think I might hire one for a weekend or something and see how I get on.

Love the touring coast of Ireland so I think that had better go on my list of road trips I may be happy to do on my own.

You made me laugh to maybe secretly aspiring to be the lady in the van when you are older .. I loved that film/story.

• Reply by Mary A

Yes Gill, a trial run would be a good plan. I think you’d love it. You could park up and visit your Rest Less buddies too. I’m on the way to the ferry. 😀 I’ve no idea why I aspire to having no fixed abode. Is this a passing whim I wonder?! My van would have to have a very comfy bed and a coffee machine. Lol. You’ve made me want to watch that film again. I love Maggie Smith!

• Reply by Mary A

Just watched the part where he pushes her up the street in her wheelchair then she whizzes down like racing driver. Would you like a cup of coffee? Oh I don’t want to put you to all that trouble, half a cup will do. Lol, she’s SO funny! 😂🤣😂🤣

Attachments:
        • Reply by Gill B

Maybe is brilliant. It’s lovely that it’s a true story. Amazing. I loved it.

Hi Gill, Because you would be on your own if you get a camper van I would suggest that you stop on sites rather than wild camp. Both the Caravan and Motorhome Club and The Camping and Caravan Club have small sites called CL’s or CS’s. Many of them do not cost a lot but the facilities can be a bit spartan. Also Brit Stops are good. We had to pay for the book but it was well worth it when we travelled for a month round Wales. We stayed on some lovely pub car parks for the night and we only had to by a drink in the pub or a meal. We only went on organised campsites for a couple of nights to use the facilities before moving on.

• Reply by Gill B

Really good information which I need to write down Josie. Thank you. It won’t be this year anyway.

What is a CL or CS?

Hi Gill, always happy to help with any camping information, whenever you decide to go. We found tips and advice really useful when we first started. We still love to chat to other campers, we all have so much to learn from each other.
          So CL and CS,s small campsites that have to be registered with either the Caravan and Motorhome club or the Camping and Caravan Club. They only take up to 5 vans. Facilities vary from just a field with no facilities, except maybe a water tap for drinking water and a drain for waste water to full facilities thats usually a toilet maybe a shower, somewhere to empty your onboard toilet etc. The less facilities the cheaper the price. When we came on our trip round Wales we spent one night on a cliff top in just a field, overlooking the sea. It was full of sheep. It cost just £7.
          Have to admit I do like a bit of luxury when we go motor homing. My roughing it days are long gone. 😁

• Reply by Gill B

Thanks Josie that’s all good to know!! Have made. Have made a note of some things, but know where to come if I eventually do it!

• Reply by Andy Paddles

I read about a guy who kayaked out to one of the islands on Loch Lomond and camped over Easter – he lost his paddle (how you do that I’ll never know!) and had to ring the Police to be rescued! 🙄 🙄 🙄

• Reply by Mary A

Oh dear, poor guy! I thought paddlers took two paddles, like maybe a fold-up one just in the event of an emergency! 😁

• Reply by Andy Paddles

The ones that plan for every eventuality do Mary A!

Attachments:
        • Reply by Mary A

There r no flies on YOU Andy Paddles! 😀👍

• Reply by Andy Paddles

A bit of planning and a large tin of DEET always helps Mary A!

• Reply by Mary A

Well, keep DEETING if you’re up here…. there are lots of little angry beasties……. and midges too! 😀

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Scottish beasties Mary A – I assume you’re referring to feral Haggis and deep water Monsters!

• Reply by Mary A

😂🤣😂🤣

• Reply by Gill B

😂

• Reply by Gill B

Defo the deet!!!

• Reply by Gill B

I love that picture!!

• Reply by Gill B

😂 how could he lose his paddle indeed!!!

• Reply by Judes

That’s not a tent is it?
      I always fancied travelling around in a camper van. Ex husband hated the idea but worlds my oyster now as they say!! Well just England for now.

Hi Judes, you should go for it. It is never too late. The beauty of travelling around in a camper van or motor home is you get to see so many beautiful places. Meet interesting and helpful people. Doing it in either of the above means you get a little bit of luxury with your own on board facilities. No trudging across fields in the night if you need the loo😂

• Reply by Grenouille

Go for it, Judes!

• Reply by Grenouille

Will be doing a lot of day trips to begin with. Taking this little guy with me, he has just joined in and likes his seat next to me in the van.

Attachments:
      • Reply by Gill B

Oh he is so cute Grenouilles!!

• Reply by Mary A

Gorgeous!

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Just bought my new tent ready for this year’s adventures – who knows where they’ll take me – I’m hoping for somewhere exciting!

• Reply by Mary A

Scotland’s exciting but only on a Tuesday. 😂🤣

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Funnily enough I’d heard that before!

One day of excitement with 6 days of calm sounds like quite a good balance to me! 🥴

• Reply by JanetP

Looking forward to getting out & on them hills again……. not long now 🙂 Hope all my walking gear still fits!! lol 😉
      Enjoy your trips away. Janet

• Reply by Autumnalwalksara

Enjoy . I can’t wait to see more of our beautiful country again. I admit I’m not a camper but I love getting away, exploring new places. Peaceful walks and watching the sunset on a quiet beach . Bliss 😊

• Reply by hell.fenn

Unfortunately camping is not agreeable with my aches but my daughter has booked a week in Essex in a caravan which I am looking forward to. There will be us, my 2 grandchildren and 2 dogs in all.
      I can’t wait.

Add