Home Forums General This tickled me, now who wants tickling?

Gerard371 Posted 6 months ago
This tickled me, now who wants tickling?
2 likes & 36 replies
    • Gerard371 9th November 2021 at 1:51 pm

Journalist Lizzie Pook ranked Birmingham alongside Serbia, Jersey, Bend in Oregon and Ireland’s County Tipperary as the best places to visit for food lovers.

She wrote: “As host city for the 2022 Commonwealth Games, Birmingham will be girding itself for an influx of athletes and sporty spectators next year. But a tidal wave of increasingly impressive food offerings are positioning the UK’s ‘second city’ as a prime spot for gourmands too, going beyond its famous ‘Balti Triangle’ to showcase cult burger joints, experimental fine-dining spots and trad, white-tablecloth stalwarts.”

• loislane 9th November 2021 at 2:07 pm

Erm…head and test springs to mind

• Always 9th November 2021 at 4:12 pm

Oh my!!

• Colin in Kent 9th November 2021 at 5:16 pm

A few years ago my daughter and I attended a book convention at the Custard Factory in Digbeth. The area was shite, and my daughter and I stayed at what had once, no doubt, been a grand Victorian hotel, but only the first two or three floors were in use by then. I think it had been used as a homeless hostel, but the upper floors were derelict by the time we stayed. During the evening there was an organised ‘tour’ of the historic parts of the area. It was quite interesting, but not a very good or safe area, and we ended up traipsing along a footpath next to the canal as evening fell. We got to a fairly dimly lit area at the end, where the steps ascended back to the road, and there was only some shifty looking businessman hovering nearby, looking nervously at the group. Our tour guide told us about the history of the area, then pointed at the nervous looking bloke and said, very audibly ‘but now, of course, it’s primarily the gay cruising area’. There was something of an awkward silence as everyone turned to look at him. Then our guide marched past him with a brusque ‘good evening’ and ascended once more to the road.

• HH 2021 9th November 2021 at 8:17 pm

To be fair, Digbeth is still ropey now! Dont think I’d walk around there at night on my own, …don’t think I’d walk around in the day either!🤣 Definitely not the best of areas, but the city cente is great, with lots of designer stores and nice restaurants xxx

• Gerard 9th November 2021 at 5:48 pm

Colin, Colin, Colin, everywhere can’t always be like a bed of roses, if it was soon you wouldn’t notice the roses.

Now funnily enough The Custard Factory, so named because it was the site of a former custard factory, Birds Custard I think, is an area renowned for street art , and attracting art and craft shops as well as nice eateries. It a big draw for most people who visit Birmingham. If your guide, and I don’t like the sound of him, took you to a canal stretch close to there it’s not the best of the network of canals. Gas Street basin is far nicer.

If someone is gay it’s neither here or there. There is the gay village but I didn’t think it was close to there . Maybe the chap was homeless, maybe he was waiting for someone, who knows. Treat everyone with respect, and never think because of someone’s sexuality it makes them any less than you.

• Colin in Kent 9th November 2021 at 7:11 pm

I’m sorry if I offended you – it was an amusing anecdote, nothing more. I think you’re reading an attitude into it that I don’t hold. Please don’t presume to think I judge anyone ‘less than me’ because of their sexuality or anything else (other than their behaviour).

Yes, I’m familiar with the history of the Custard Factory, and the artistic connotations are one of the reasons the publishers chose the location. It was in the process of going upmarket at the time, and I believe it’s a process that has continued unabated to the present day.

• Brighton Belle 9th November 2021 at 5:52 pm

I only live half hours train journey from Birmingham visited about 4 times in 30yrs not my favourite place…..

• Gerard 9th November 2021 at 6:46 pm

BB not everyone can appreciate what Birmingham has to offer, bit that’s not Birmingham’s fault.

• Gerard 9th November 2021 at 6:53 pm

If I had more time I could carry out some in-depth research into the reasons for the negative comments about Birmingham, but for now the one glaringly obvious fact staring me in the face, is people are jealous.
      People you know you can move here.

• HH 2021 9th November 2021 at 8:23 pm

I think Birmingham City Centre is Great really upped it’s game recently, really good restaurants including the Ivy, plus designer stores. The outskirts can be a bit ropey, but surely that’s the same with every big city?

Anyway, I go a lot, I’ve have had some really good nights there!

• Gerard371 9th November 2021 at 8:40 pm

I’m hoping everyone likes the food and entertainment at The Bull, It’s not as plush as the Ivy. Pic below for those who haven’t been there yet.

• Gerard 9th November 2021 at 8:35 pm

I agree HH, it has it’s good and bad points. There are parts which need upgrading, and the place is a bit of a mess while they lay the tram tracks, but once finished it should look great. There is far prettier places, but Birmingham has its own charm.

• Cheers on toast 9th November 2021 at 9:43 pm

I work in Birmingham, (Aston) so see the bad parts, the developed parts along the canal are pleasant for a night out, a few good music venues but wouldn’t venture there often unless to see a band.
      Decent transport links unless you need to get far out of Birmingham and then most train services finish just before any event ends, total lack of coordination.

• Gerard 9th November 2021 at 9:53 pm

Recently one of my friends had a night out in Birmingham, just missed the last train connection, and had to walk from Shirley to knowle. It helped sober him up, so not all bad. But it’s like any major city there’s good and bad parts, some you wouldn’t walk around in after dark.

• Tetley 10th November 2021 at 11:02 am

I would also like to give my support to Birmingham, the second city. I live about half an hour away and have always really enjoyed going there, particularly visiting the theatres, the Mailbox and the surrounding area. I agree with Cheers on Toast that it is very tricky to get the last train after a theatre performance or an event at the NIA unless you are a marathon runner. 😄

• Gerard 10th November 2021 at 12:27 pm

Thank you Tetley, I’m thinking of asking that they ban all folks not from the the West Midlands, thus keeping Restless a site for the elite. 😁

• Lorraine1 10th November 2021 at 12:53 pm

I’m going to the Christmas Fair in Birmingham this year, I’ve heard only good things about that.

Add