Home Forums Technology The computer in our lives artificial intelligence...

Deleted User Posted 9 months ago
The computer in our lives artificial intelligence and robotics.

Some laughed at this guy and told him to stick to science fiction.

Others knew there were incredible things happening in the world of communications.

The likes of me and you just nodded oh yes satellites and computers.

Many people must have known what we were on the cusp of and were just waiting the right materials and so on.

When I ask Google a question the answer is there in an instant.

When I spell a word wrong it’s noticed instantly.

When I want to send you a picture of family or an on site video to explain why the price is what it is we get irritated should there be the slightest hitch.

But all these things were being put in place without us even being aware and next they were being marketed to us.

We now have artificial intelligence and robotics that are already threatening our well being by being so far ahead of us when it comes to spotting a problem putting it right and designing the next features of itself for upgrade to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Artificial intelligence can and does deal with everyday things on a scale we couldn’t begin to grapple with.

Elon Musk is putting 4 satellites a day into orbit and currently has put a thousand into orbit. Some days he puts 60 into orbit at once and is aiming at 30,00 and it’s looking like he’s getting there.

This is just one guy with lots of money and a lot of big ideas.

Our world is changing fast and will be unrecognisable in two years time.

Arthur C Clarke predicts the internet in 1964

4 likes & 39 replies
    • Deleted User 18th April 2021 at 2:29 am

Imagine having Google and an internet connection in your head with a wireless update system in place. It’s not that long ago people talked of what if we had a USB connection at the back of our head/neck.
      That idea is already obsolete before it got off the drawing board.
      Where are we going?

• Deleted User 18th April 2021 at 6:55 am

Hi I don’t know much about computers robots and modern technology. But after reading your post and watching the little clip from Arthur C Clark, really woken me up. As child I used to watch the amazing world of Arthur C Clark. Really fascinating who would predict such a future from far far past. He has got it absolutely 100% right. Frightening to think that humans will no longer exist after all humans are responsible. And the movie Hear My Song I came across it early this week, haven’t seen it yet but will do thank you for your post I found it very interesting

• muddyboots 18th April 2021 at 7:54 am

Quite simply, if you can imagine it today, it will happen tomorrow. A lot to be said on this topic but please bear in mind Stephen Hawking’s views on AI/robotics. Once emotion and judgment are artificially created, then we’d better watch out!!

• Deleted User 18th April 2021 at 8:49 am

AI is the future

• Deleted User 18th April 2021 at 10:14 am

AI is a much bigger threat to human survival than all this climate alarmism.

• Bastmanya Moonblood 18th April 2021 at 6:02 pm

Yes its all here now can wait to see the new male Robot! 🤖😂😂😂

• Deleted User 19th April 2021 at 7:52 am

The 2021 Neuralink Update Is Here.
      Are you ready and looking forward to Elon Musk’s brain implant chip?
      Cure all man kinds ailments and remove the need for education because we’ll know everything?
      Someone asked Musk if he was an alien and he replied I might be.
      This dope smoking genius has his hands in the future everywhere you look and is seriously shaping that future.

• Deleted User 19th April 2021 at 3:17 pm

A lot of people want to find some kind of way to slow down all this AI and automation maybe one of Tesla’s products just did that for them.

Surely this will have a huge affect on the electric self driving vehicle market but maybe not.

I think the internal combustion engine went through a few accidents like this when it first started appearing but I imagine Mister Musk is seriously concerned with this bad press.

Two people killed in fiery Tesla crash with no one driving.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/18/22390612/two-people-killed-fiery-tesla-crash-no-driver

• Deleted User 20th April 2021 at 1:37 am

Interesting video and a little disturbing.
      The world is changing so fast.

Artificial Intelligence: it will kill us | Jay Tuck | TEDxHamburgSalon

• Deleted User 15th May 2021 at 11:30 pm

I just replied to a post a new thread I think about AI and robotics but I went to say something else and it seems to have vanished!

• Deleted User 19th July 2021 at 4:49 pm

As an avid reader of science fiction in the 60s and 70s I find a lot of plot lines appearing in modern life. The climate disaster, which is likely to see off our civilisation if not our species, is a case in point.

• Deleted User 19th July 2021 at 7:26 pm

Climate alarmism is a scary story for something that isn’t happening on the level of scary.

• Deleted User 19th July 2021 at 8:00 pm

In English?

• Deleted User 19th July 2021 at 8:57 pm

You know exactly what I’m saying.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 7:33 am

Exactly- no, because you have avoided a direct statement, even when offered a second attempt at it.

Approximately, yes. Presumably you find nothing alarming in climate trends and recent events?

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 7:54 am

Climate change can of course be alarming but I don’t believe much has changed and the change we’re seeing is nothing like the extreme the alarmists would have us believe. We’re all gonna die!!!! No we’re not.

• PhilB 20th July 2021 at 8:35 am

And your skills and expertise in this area are what, exactly?

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 9:14 am

Years of being interested and doing a little research starting nearly thirty years ago when I had a small holding.

There are experts around every corner and it means diddly squat a lot of the time.

Bit like listening to science correspondents as opposed to science.

Science correspondents tend to be agenda driven and believe what they are told and or do as they are told.

Your skills and expertise regarding believing the alarmism are what?

• PhilB 20th July 2021 at 9:24 am

Well, I listen to scientists, read articles, look at the figures myself and come to a conclusion. You’ll find that *all* reputable scientists agree that climate change is a reality, and the only people who don’t are the conspiracy nuts and lunatic fringe. So I won’t be taking any notice of you. Have a nice day.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 11:27 am

Wow different point of view from the main stream and your gone!

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 11:36 am

How fast has the ice been melting on Greenland the last four years?
      In what state of decay is the nuclear material at the abandoned nuclear power plant on Antarctica?
      How many volcanoes are currently active under the Antarctic ice?
      The ice on one side of Antarctica is melting on the other side it’s building up why?
      In Roman Britain 2000 years ago it was one and a half C warmer than currently and the grape growing terraces along Hadrian’s wall can still be seen and they made high quality wine there. Couldn’t do that now why are you frightened we could in a few years have a similar climate again?
      Where is sea level currently rising?
      If you’ve been reading science from none corrupted scientists I’m sure you’ll be able to answer some of those questions.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 11:41 am

The biggest greenhouse gas by far is water vapour.

Have any computer climate models yet been devised that can predict how much water vapour there’ll be in any given area and at what density at what height under what pressure six months from now?

How do the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn affect the earths climate?

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 11:53 am

Cognitive dissonance explains a lot of climate disaster denial.

“ One possible reason for the denial in the face of the scientific evidence could be explained by cognitive dissonance theory. Developed by Leon Festinger, cognitive dissonance theory suggests that when people encounter a situation where they become psychologically discomforted by an opposing cognition that is not consistent with their current belief, it is this discomfort felt from the dissonance that causes a drive in the person to resolve the dissonance (Schneider, Gruman, & Coutts, 2005). There are multiple ways for someone to reduce dissonance. One way is to change the cognition causing the dissonance to match the initial belief in order to help reduce the dissonance, rather than admitting you were wrong (Schneider, Gruman, & Coutts, 2005). Additionally, it is also possible create a new cognition or reduce the importance of the cognition, which will help to ease the discomfort felt by cognitive dissonance (Schneider, Gruman, & Coutts, 2005). ”

So how can we ease that discomfort?

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:02 pm

In the medieval period some 1400 years ago there was a warming period which cleared millions of tons of ice off Greenland to the extent the Danes started farming there and planting forests.
      The remains of their stone houses and churches can still be seen.
      They only stayed three hundred years and were driven off by the returning ice and snow.
      What caused that warm period and what ended it?
      It’s now estimated from geologic evidence that the Sahara desert which is the size of the continental USA hasn’t been desert for millions of years but only around five thousand years.
      It had rivers woodland jungles animal and plant life in a huge variety but a cataclysmic climate event event happened. What could it have been?
      There are a number of theories the most prominent one being a massive drop in temperature stopped evaporation and stopped rain from falling turning a continent size chunk of N Africa to dust.
      I can’t get my head around that one and expect one of the other theories to be closer to the truth but… that’s planet earth for you.
      I wonder if there was a Greta trying to stop it?
      How many scientists lost their jobs and reputations saying it’s not camel farts causing this.
      This is a very active planet we live on and sometimes here and there a very dangerous and unpredictable one.
      Are there any people here who have some ideal temperature we should set the worlds thermometer too and if so what is it and how do we achieve it and maintain it and was there ever a time in history when this ideal existed and didn’t keep shifting about?
      The fossil fuel that we burn came from the sky and we are putting a miniscule amount back into the sky.
      Before it was drawn down from the sky the CO2 was running at around two thousand parts per million and the whole planet was extremely lush and green and teeming with animal life so at four hundred ppm no we’re not heading for extinction or disaster.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:12 pm

Some of the hottest records are still unbroken from the 1930’s.
      That was my fathers time of growing up. That was a very warm period and just as the science predicted would end toward the end of the forties. It did around 1947 when we entered the next cooling period.
      I’m a baby of the 1950’s and the cold winters through the fifties and sixties were all about icicles snowmen frozen lakes and frozen pipes. Every family had a steel and timber sledge hung on a nail. Our sledge in Manchester wasn’t just used for fun but also dragging the weekly veg shop home. Still the occasional nice summer in that period. The next warm period according to most scientists would start around 1974 and it did.
      That warm period was expected to come to an end about now.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:14 pm

Greenland 1930’s.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:16 pm

Ice melt 1920’s.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:22 pm
    • Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:24 pm

But you know what?
      It was only around ten to twenty percent of scientists predicting that the rest didn’t know or were predicting warmer periods.
      How the media corrupt it all for sensationalism and fear and they are doing it again now.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:31 pm

NASA

Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds

From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change on April 25.

An international team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries led the effort, which involved using satellite data from NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer instruments to help determine the leaf area index, or amount of leaf cover, over the planet’s vegetated regions. The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:32 pm

Strange that you advance historical and scientific evidence as a basis for rejection of the scientific consensus on climate. Do you think that scientists are simply wrong in clinging to the theory that man has caused the current climate trends, or do you think there is a conspiracy going on, or what?

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:50 pm

Man has added CO2 to the atmosphere in a miniscule amount.
        There s not a scientific consensus.
        Follow the money they say, well over the last thirty years trillions of dollars have changed hands and made many people obscene amounts of money paid for by us the tax payers and energy consumers while China and India and other countries are currently building around thirty new coal fired power stations.
        The UK produce about one percent of the worlds CO2 and against all this future coal use you think the UK can make some kind of difference to the climate.
        I find that laughable to be honest.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:33 pm

Climate of ignorance
      As carbon dioxide levels have risen, the planet’s green vegetation has increased by 14 per cent

Back in 1908 Svante Arrhenius, a Nobel laureate and the father of the greenhouse theory, predicted something like this would happen. ‘By the influence of the increasing percentage of carbonic acid in the atmosphere, we may hope to enjoy ages with more equable and better climates,’ he wrote. The earth, he predicted, ‘will bring forth much more abundant crops than at present, for the benefit of rapidly propagating mankind’. This has proved to be the case. Environmentally, this is perhaps the best news you’ve
      never heard about.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/climate-of-ignorance

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:43 pm

I burn coal and wood as do many across N Wales as there is no mains gas in many villages.

At the moment my log store is around fifty fifty hardwood and softwood.

The softwood comes from the forestry business.

The hardwoods come mostly from storm damage blow overs lightening strikes or simple old age.

When I burn it CO2 is released.

If it’s left to rot methane is released.

Some people want a mass tree planting across the world (a trillion trees has often been quoted) to suck CO2 out of the atmosphere… then what?

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 12:52 pm

I have to go bye.

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 1:30 pm

Science corrupted by money then. The corruption seems to have reached NASA, whose earlier analysis you quoted. As of June this year their statement includes “ Over the past 171 years, human activities have raised atmospheric concentrations of CO2 by 48% above pre-industrial levels found in 1850. This is more than what had happened naturally over a 20,000 year period (from the Last Glacial Maximum to 1850, from 185 ppm to 280 ppm).”

Your Spectator article by Matt Ridley… well he would say that wouldn’t he, as a coal owner. His writings, etc, are frequently dissected and lampooned by the other side of the argument. I don’t think his opinion stacks up against the consensus of the scientific community that climate change is down to us humans and that it is on a trajectory to destroy most life on earth. There is a lack of consensus about what we can do about it, but as its effects are already severe elsewhere in the world I feel we would be foolish not to look for ways of improving our chances of survival.

Looking at it another way, what are the statistical chances that your analysis is correct? 50%? 90%?

• minwalles 16th November 2021 at 9:33 am

This guy was way ahead of his time, trust me. It’s pretty surprising to see how many people were thinking into the future and I can’t wrap my head around these things. I was reading the other day an article from https://nofacetech.com about Nikola Tesla and I was surprised to find out how many great things were having today because of him. Unfortunately, we couldn’t have had more, but the people around him were too greedy and they didn’t care about helping others. It’s pretty hard to find a balance, but I’m sure that we will be able to achieve this one day

Add