Home Forums General The biggest challenge you’ve taken on

Add comment

• The biggest challenge you’ve taken on

At 55 years old I decided to learn how to drive a red routemaster bus – yes, the classic old bus with the open platform, ding ding ding bell and on-board conductor to drive tourists and wedding parties all over London.   I’ve always loved buses and I wanted to be a granny who is known for stretching herself and inspiring other women to realise their dreams. Especially in a world traditionally inhabited by men.  It’s the best thing I ever did and when the buses were off the road I wrote a children’s picture book called “Granny Franny’s Big Red Bus”, inspired by escapades that ended well ( and occasionally not so well ).  It’s already being used in schools, dyslexia clinics and being read to kids by mums, dads, granddads and fantastic grannies.  I’d love to know what you’ve done and why

Posted by sonia.beldom
Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Reply by Jean

Hello Everyone! Last year I completed 300hours Yoga Teacher Training with the British Wheel of Yoga. I’ve just celebrated my 71st Birthday and was the oldest student on the course. Covid means I haven’t continued teaching as planned but looking into offering zoom classes now. I’ve been teaching baby massage to new mum’s on zoom throughout covid but that’s something I’ve been doing in-person for more than 20 years. Felt nervous about teaching my new skill online but now the time seems right to get going. Next year I hope to offer classes locally in person too. Putting this comment on here is also a challenge. I’ve only just joined the group.

• Reply by ginamann13

Wonderful. We are never too old and it is never too late !!

• Reply by Jean

Thank you, Gina. Agree totally. When I told one of my tutors that I planned to teach older people she said ‘Don’t restrict yourself to that.’ My first classes were a mix of ages, late 20’s through to 60’s. I do plan to teach older people though but also a mix of ages.

• Reply by Jean

Wow! Inspirational!

• Reply by celiawinstanley

Thank you Gina. I love my life.😊

• Reply by jaynethomas34

Hi my biggest challenge was learning to swim at 60. Always had a fear of water but with lots of lessons managed to do it. Loved it so much. Not been able to go at the moment but will start as soon as I can. Its great to have a go a something new.

• Reply by Marymoo

I am 61 and just started a new business as an Independent Celebrant. I had no idea it would be my biggest challenge but as I only officially started on 2nd February the current Covid-19 pandemic has certainly turned it into my biggest challenge.

• Reply by Anonymous User

what does that involve and how did you become one?  Congratulations by the way.

• Reply by Marymoo

Hi Ritzy, for the previous 18 months I was a Deputy Superintendent Registrar for a local council conducting weddings which gave me the experience and idea to take it further. I found someone to do the training and then set up…… or still trying to. Covid had really scuppered the business quite a bit but I’m still hopeful that it will eventually take off.

• Reply by Anonymous User

That’s an interesting job. You get to see people getting married:-)

good luck with your business.

• Reply by Marymoo

Thank you Ritzy it’s an absolutely fantastic job

• Reply by ginamann13

Fantastic!  What a great thing to do!

Gina

My biggest challenge was leaving my husband 12 years ago after a 35 year abusive marriage. I had never lived alone before so hadn’t a clue. I loved it and did loads of things I could only dream of before. Now I’m happily engaged to be married. I expect a second marriage will be something of a challenge too!

• Reply by ginamann13

Wow, brave but so necessary.  I am so glad you made the move and got out of the abusive marriage.  And how wonderful that you are now embarking on a second marriage which will, as you say, have its challenges, they all do, but hopefully not the same sort as before!

Well done you!!

GinaG

Thank you Gina. I do like a challenge, I have to say! I love life now and grateful for whatever the day brings.

Celia 😊

• Reply by nyambulambeyu

At 59yrs 2 begin developing a NGO charity in Ghana which requires me to relocate with very little money

• Reply by ljsteward

Leaving Los Angeles and the advertising agency business to move to New York City, get married and start my own career management service.  Now, since reaching retirement, relocating with my wife of 36 years to South Carolina and at 76, launching an online community to help others reinvent themselves.

• Reply by ginamann13

Wow you are inspirational!  I love that you now want to help others reinvent themselves!  We are all a work in progress and I am currently on version.2 of me, working on version2.1!

• Reply by ljsteward

Good to hear you’re still committed to moving forward Gina.  That is why I wanted to join this group, to hear from others moving toward reinvention.  It is a challenge but the rewards are great.  Keep sharing your story with us.

• Reply by drruth2011

Moving countries in 1988 to marry and take on step-kids. Death of partner, research PhD, and motorcycle license – all these since 2008.

• Reply by suegeelan1956

Well done to you life is all about challenges at 63 I’ve just left my job of 15 years to start a new challenge and chapter of my life .

• Reply by Kate Maye

Looking Help with hormones

• Reply by ginamann13

Hi Kate

What sort of help are you looking for?  If it is a natural health supplement I may have something that could help.  It is what I used and was a complete life changer.

Let me know if you want some informatoin

GinaG

Viewing 11 reply threads