Home Forums Health the article on cholesterol was really helpful. I t...

CloggH Posted 2 weeks ago
the article on cholesterol was really helpful. I take statins and wonder what side effects people have experienced?

I am thinking of contacting my GP to get my dosage reduced as I am experiencing some problems which may be linked to statin side effects and would like to get an idea of what others have experienced as a sort of overview before I spend hours trying to get through to my doctor! Thank you.

4 replies
    • Mad Ralph 23rd June 2022 at 10:01 am

I’ve been taking them for years (atorvastatin) along with other cholesterol lowering meds (fenofibrate).
      Luckily I haven’t had any side effects but if you think you are it’s worth a chat with your GP. It may be as simple as just changing the dosage or changing to a different type.
      Good luck with it.

• CloggH 23rd June 2022 at 11:33 am

Thanks for that. I’m on atorvastatin as well, and think it needs reviewing. It’s so difficult to even get through to the GP on the phone,and then only to get a phone appointment, I thought it’d be an idea to gather as much information as possible as ‘back up’. Thanks again all the best.

• Pops McCarthy 23rd June 2022 at 10:56 am

I hate to say this, but my advice based on caring for my mum who had dementia, is get off statins. She was on Simvastatin for years. Just before she was diagnosed with dementia I checked all her medication. Among the side effects of Simvastatin in capital letters? DEMENTIA. I firmly believe that the continual use of Simvastatin led to high blood pressure(tablet) to atrial fibrillation (tablet) to stroke to vascular dementia. Please be careful. Even the NHS website says cholesterol can be dealt with by diet, exercise and lifestyle changes. I believe GPs will just find an alternative medication.
      All the best
      Peace
      Pops

• CloggH 23rd June 2022 at 11:22 am

I’m so sorry to hear of your poor mum’s experience. I am very grateful for this information, I’m not on that particular statin, but it’s certainly a good head’s up going forward. Thanks again.
        All the best.

Add