Home Forums General Sweetners

TmonT Posted 3 months ago
Sweetners

Trying to cut sugar out tried a few swetners 🤮 any recommendations

1 like & 40 replies
    • backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 7:15 am

Cold turkey worked for me. Hard to do and took a while, but once you get used to the taste of things without sugar you’ll never go back as anything with sugar in then tastes awful. Same with salt. Start with tea as it’s slightly easier than coffee.

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 8:23 am

Are you kidding? I can’t drink tea without a sweetener in it. Tea is so bitter.
        I use Canderel but sometimes switch to honey.
        I can’t drink coffee with sugar in it. Especially black coffee. It ruins the taste.

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 9:46 am

Maybe our tastebuds are different or something but I started by stopping sugar in tea as I found it easier. It took a few more years before I could do the same for coffee.
          I was in a cafe yesterday morning and the two 20 something blokes at the counter in front of us ordered coffee. The waitress asked ‘milk and sugar’? ‘Three sugars and milk’ was their reply. I genuinely could not drink that now.

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 9:50 am

I think we all have different taste buds. That’s why we don’t all like the same things. I used to have 3 sugars when I was a kid, tried to cut out sugar altogether in my teens…. just couldn’t do it, so settled for one. Now I actually prefer a single sweetener to sugar, but they’re really not good for you.

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 10:00 am

Whether they’re worse for you than that amount of sugar I’m not sure but neither is probably the safer option.

Years ago I had my palette tested – they were looking for people for a new product taste panel. I came out average (which surprised me as I thought I’d be terrible). Some people can discriminate tastes to an extraordinary degree and I suspect it’s a prerequisite to rise up the ranks of the chef world or enter into the world of wine. I’ve often wondered whether the world of Michelin star cuisine would be totally wasted on me as I wouldn’t be able to taste much of what the chef has gone to so much trouble to include.

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 10:04 am

Also people do eat with their eyes, if something looks awful they will assume it tastes awful. The mind is a very powerful thing.

I also believe we see colours differently too….

• Mick20 29th May 2022 at 10:18 am

MD when you eat with your eyes, it’s called a seefood diet! you see food & eat it 😉

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 10:28 am

😂

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 10:18 am

Yes, kids learn that very early and it’s a hard thing to unlearn.

Other than colour blindness that can be tested for, how would you know if someone else perceives colours differently. Philosophers have been arguing this back and forth for millennia (without coming to a conclusion as far as I’m aware) – the how would you describe ‘red’ to a blind man / woman quandary?

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 10:36 am

Have you ever seen the film ‘Mask’ with Cher?…. not the Jim Carrey film…. It’s about a boy who has the features of a lion and he falls in love with a blind girl and he tries to explain colours to her…. the way he does it is so cool….

Have you ever did the, is it pink and white or grey and green test? There are others…. Apparently, If the right-half of your brain is dominant, you will see a combination of pink and white, and if your left half is dominant, you will see it in grey and green colour.

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 12:04 pm

That isn’t one about what colour is the dress or something is it? I did that but I can’t remember what I saw 🤣

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 12:15 pm

There is a dress one and stripy trousers…. I thought the person telling me one thing and me seeing another was winding me up 😂 I truly couldn’t see the colours that he could…. There is a theory that’s it’s to do with the light, but we were looking at the same pic, so that ruled that out….

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 1:01 pm

I’m not sure our colour vision is one of nature’s greatest triumphs. It works well enough and it’s better than black and white I suppose but there’s so much variability in it. I spent many years colour grading photographs professionally and some time (a gap year job decades ago) colour matching printing inks. It taught me that not everybody sees these things the same way. The ‘correct’ colour of course was always what the client was happy to pay for (even if there were glaring errors to my eye).

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 1:04 pm

😂

• Giomar 30th May 2022 at 6:18 pm

I also have a sweet tooth and always use sweetener. If I can afford it I use erythitrol or xylitol, no calories and they are natural. Otherwise, Splenda, or Sucralose base ones are a bit batter I think.

• Terry75 29th May 2022 at 11:50 am

I used to have two in my coffee. Tried the “half spoon sugar” for a while now only have half a spoon in it. It tastes like sugar and is far far nicer than sweeteners.

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 12:17 pm

Never heard of that Ter, will have to look it up…. Although I have grown accustomed to sweeteners… Well, certain ones…. some taste like soap!

• Terry75 29th May 2022 at 12:23 pm

Its usually by the side of normal sugar in the supermarket. Tastes the same but sweeter so you don’t need as much before I knew it I couldn’t stand anything with too much “normal” sugar on, even my Weetabix only get a tickle now.

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 12:48 pm

😂 Thanks for that…. will look out for it!

• VFP 29th May 2022 at 12:07 pm

Because of sugar cravings I cut out sugary foods ages ago but of course this impossible to do completely. When I substituted a sweetener (sucralose, because aspartame gave me a rash) I seemed to have the same or even more cravings for sweet things. In any case, now if I buy anything that includes a sweetener (eg yoghurt) I opt for products with stevia because I believe it is a natural one.

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 12:20 pm

Good choice! That’s why honey is better than sugar and sweeteners… because it’s natural…. well, almost… I suppose they mess around with it a bit before they put in jars…. Although the life date on honey is like…. non existent… so no need.

• Lonelysole 29th May 2022 at 1:22 pm

I cut sugar out of my tea ages ago by gradually cutting down amount then when I got to half a tsp I swapped it for a biscuit then cut biscuit out and cannot stand tea now with sugar. I do need one sweetener in coffee but I only have one coffee a day! I use hermesetas sweeteners xx

• Mo001 29th May 2022 at 6:26 pm

I don’t take either, but if I had to take one I would choose sugar as it’s a natural product. Not sure what is in sweeteners.

• Circle of Peace 30th May 2022 at 12:39 pm

Never found one that tasted nice. I just gradually cut down the amount of sugar I put I my coffee. Was two teaspoons. Now less than half a teaspoon or as my son says ‘how many granules do you want’.

• Wenic 30th May 2022 at 2:23 pm

Personally I would forget sweetners and try gradually reducing the amount of sugar over time until your down to none or very little.

• Paul095 30th May 2022 at 3:11 pm

Gin & Tonic ??

• Grace Williams 31st May 2022 at 12:55 pm

Nearly all commercially produced sweeteners are extremely toxic to humans (aspartame, saccharin etc) People have come to accept them, in diet drinks/foods etc and don’t think anything of them. I was looking at these back in the 80’s, and just how poisonous they were.

The body cannot digest or assimilate these products, as they are artificial, serve no purpose within the digestive system, have no nutritional value etc, so accumulate over time, as their chemical compounds cannot be broken down. Side effects range from mild to extreme, headaches/nausea/vomiting/ diarrhoea, to the other end of the scale where they can trigger quite serious diseases – (Also withdrawal from these products can have similar effects, especially if you use them daily or in large quantities)

They have been approved worldwide (just follow the money – Also a cheap source for mass production, where the more expensive sugar product would normally be used) by various ‘health’ organisations FDA/FSA, as we are learn and question more, can these agencies be trusted to guard our welfare or do they have vested interests?

Long story short, as VFP said, I would try stevia based products (a naturally sweet leaf that has been harvested) – I was buying mine from Waitrose, (in pill form and granules) but found a Morrisons own make for a third of the price with exactly the same ingredients.

Just a quick overview – For me, if a subject has been raised and studied, there will be a reason for it – No smoke without fire etc – I’m not always convinced the outcome and findings are unbiased, it will depend on who commissioned the study/who is funding it etc – But hopefully this is an independent (ish) overview that may make you think at least:

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/artificial-sweeteners-fact-sheet

Add