Home Forums General Supplies are running low – grocery shopping...

Gill B Posted 10 months ago
Supplies are running low – grocery shopping (ugh) is on the cards this weekend – what should I put on the list?
1 like & 130 replies
    • Carol.L 20th March 2021 at 9:27 am

Top of the list whatever you consider a treat as you deserve it!

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 11:16 am

I have your permission!! Yay! .. Thanks Carol. I procrastinate over going until the cupboard is bare. Its never a good idea to go when I am hungry as I buy the wrong food items. If I go when I am full I can’t make a decision lol

• Carol.L 20th March 2021 at 11:23 am

And make a list!…and don’t leave it in the kitchen as I invariably do!

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 11:43 am

I do always make a list as it keeps the budget down (learnt post husband’s retirement in 2010), and stops me from buying stuff already in the cupboard. I have been very tardy writing things down, this last fortnight, so there is a danger of that happening, and not getting the one thing I really need.

• loislane 20th March 2021 at 4:54 pm

Don’t know why it said ouch when I wrote pick up things…

• loislane 20th March 2021 at 4:53 pm

I’m like it every Friday, always ouch up things we either have already, forget ones that we need, see others and generally make random choices…and that’s with a list

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 6:41 pm

Well that’s the second rule of course : trust the list and only buy what is on it (or is that two more rules!!) lol

• Marica 22nd March 2021 at 8:13 pm

Champagne??!!

• Gill B 22nd March 2021 at 8:44 pm

I have a bottle in my larder. It was a gift for my birthday two years ago. I still haven’t had the opportunity to open it!

• Marica 22nd March 2021 at 9:08 pm

Oh lovely! But I agree, you need people with you to drink it (I am on my way!! 😀 ) as it is a bit sad to drink it on your own. I had some given to my by my daughter abut feel the same as you , it will get opened eventually but we need a celebration. I don’t drink on my own and even then , not much if in company. Not that you would know that by my profile pic (Hic!!) but I was at a a nice restaurant

• Gill B 22nd March 2021 at 9:14 pm

ha ha to your photo!!

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 6:40 pm

Hey Carol – you have changed your picture!!! lol… I thought who is this woman whom I replied to, then realised it was you!!! Lovely… Great smile!

• Kitty1969 20th March 2021 at 12:03 pm

I hate grocery shopping. good luck

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 1:46 pm

That’s encouraging Kitty ha ha ha ha.. I am Toast and jam for lunch!

• Kitty1969 22nd March 2021 at 8:31 am

sorry, I went to the shop yesterday, I try to avoid weekends but the fridge was bare, fine for me but not for a hungry 24-year-old.
          I was doing click and collect but got fed up with the poor quality of produce.
          Hopefully, you got some treats for yourself

• Gill B 22nd March 2021 at 6:27 pm

I never got on with click and collect or click and deliver .. substitutions, poor quality, and at the end of the day, I don’t mind going in when its quiet!! At least I can eat again now. I did buy a chocolate treat, but its a bad habit for me to get into!

• Marica 22nd March 2021 at 8:59 pm

Glad to hear that with the treat Gill, I am not alone then! I have found our local Co-Op which I had to go to when lockdown started , actually has an amazing reduced section on food, you never would find that on Online ordering. But I do give in and have a Tesco order delivered about once every 2 months as they have things that my son likes that no other supermarket has

• Colin in Kent 20th March 2021 at 2:28 pm

We’re still getting ours delivered, I don’t think I’ve set foot in a supermarket in about eight months. Having said that, I’m usually the worst person to send shopping because I come back with all the interesting looking food and ready meals instead of what’s actually needed.

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 2:52 pm

Is that a ploy so that you aren’t asked to go shopping often? I sometimes wonder if that is what men do? Deliberately get it wrong so that the woman huffs and puffs and does it herself? Just curious not a criticism. Quite clever if you ask me!

• Colin in Kent 20th March 2021 at 2:56 pm

Isn’t that how men do most things?? On more than one occasion I have just finished the hoovering, and my wife comes in and does it again. Actually, I hate being sent out with a list because she’s never specific enough, and when she writes ‘flour’ I get to Tesco and there are ten different types. I’ve taken to making sure she’s got her phone next to her when I go because I know I will have several follow up questions…

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 6:37 pm

That is so funny – but you are right of course.

Love the hoovering story – I don’t think I have done that before lol.

You are right re shopping we aren’t specific – and we expect people to know what we are talking about. Poor Ron next door has been doing internet shopping for the elderly lady down the road, and its has been a nightmare for that very reason. He can’t seem to get it right at all. I think he was good offering to do an order for her tbh, but it has added to his stress at times! I have been doing shopping for a friend during the last year, and had to phone several times, or take photos, to ensure I get the right thing!

• Colin in Kent 20th March 2021 at 7:14 pm

I know, it’s taken the stress of shopping to a whole new level! We also get some orders for the elderly Turkish lady next door and she’s even less precise. My wife does it on her app, and I drive her mad. She always asks what I want on this week’s order, I usually say ‘nothing’, and then when it turns up I ask her where the pizza is, or the soup.

• Gill B 20th March 2021 at 7:17 pm

ha ha ha … oh goodness Colin, are you often in the mire?! I hope you score brownie points in other ways to make up for it! lol .. I am only kidding!

• Colin in Kent 20th March 2021 at 10:59 pm

I might have to get back to you on that when I’ve given it some thought…

• Gill B 21st March 2021 at 7:01 am

Maybe let me know when you the next brownie point is scored … 🙂

We women can be tough on our men folk!

• Colin in Kent 21st March 2021 at 7:20 am

Well, as my wife is dropping heavy hints about a conservatory so she can have a meditation space cum study (I’ve requisitioned the study upstairs), it may come quite soon!

• Gill B 21st March 2021 at 7:23 am

Good on you!! ha ha

• loislane 20th March 2021 at 4:51 pm

Fine wines, Caviar, olives, king prawns, joint of beef, oh no that’s just my list

• LeighS 20th March 2021 at 11:00 pm

I do all my grocery shopping online. I book my delivery slot, currently 3 weeks in advance, set up my list. I should say my wish list as it is full of items that I would like to have but don’t need.

The night before I go back and redo the list and put on all the items I need like milk, bread, vegetables. I do sneak in a bar of chocolate or two though, lol

My recommendation, always put a treat or two on the list 🙂

• loislane 20th March 2021 at 11:31 pm

I can’t even get a slot where I am, Waitrose are doing 4000 a month instead of 800

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 21st March 2021 at 10:48 am

On the shopping list today.
      Happiness, tranquillity ,peace ,love and harmony.
      Not quite sure which store you could find these all under one roof. But I wish you the best of luck in doing so and when you do find any of these items please let me know so that I to could have some.
      ✅✌🏾

• Gill B 21st March 2021 at 2:34 pm

Ha ha .. Well I have enjoyed a good harmonious chat with next door on my return from the shop, with a few laughs thrown in for good measure which has left me feeling happy.

I feel tranquil and at peace – and I no longer feel under pressure to go shopping.

A friend called so I felt the love of someone who cares about me! Not bad for a morning!

I didn’t have to pay for a thing!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 21st March 2021 at 11:21 am

But then again I do believe that most of these Ingredients you already have in your heart.
      And would no doubt you would be happy to share some of these magnificent ingredients of life.

• Gill B 21st March 2021 at 2:35 pm

Ha ha ha .. indeed I do have them in my heart – and always happy to share with those I come into contact with ! Thanks Alive!!

• spooky 22nd March 2021 at 12:29 am

i have this little game i play – i write down everything i need to get at the shops and then when i get to the shops i realise i left the shopping list at home – the game is to try and remember everything you wrote down as you shop – you should try it – such fun!

• Marica 22nd March 2021 at 8:18 pm

Now Gill, did you actually get your shopping done with all the suggestions ? And what treats did you get?? Need details after all this!

• AntrimPotter 23rd March 2021 at 2:04 pm

Marmite Peanut Butter Gill, sounds disgusting but it’s beautiful

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 23rd March 2021 at 2:46 pm

I am on the same page as Loislane, in mine would be a very nice bottle of Merlot, Dolcelatte blue cheese and some crusty fresh bread….. would it be in yours too Gill?. I make sure I am in my local Sainsburys’ at 7am, very few people in there then, only once a week, other bits and bobs from my little local Tesco Express.

• loislane 23rd March 2021 at 3:03 pm

Malbec, olives and feta, Saint augur, crusty bread or crackers sounds perfect

• Gill B 23rd March 2021 at 6:44 pm

Love the crusty bread – not too sure on the cheese, but maybe my taste buds have changed and I might surprise myself! Mind you I’d probably ram a grape in my mouth at the same time just to be sure!! lol

I do like Merlot but of course the taste of wine changes as soon as you eat, so what may start out tasting ok, becomes a bit of a slog for me. So, I tend not to bother about the old vino – or just have one glass. Otherwise, I tend to do the driving (back in the day when we ate in restaurants).

Fortunately our Sainsburys is rarely busy and I can quite happily (did I really say ‘happily’) wander around buying the stuff I need. I love scan and shop – saves all that hassle with the trolley – and I pack into bags at the car.

I used to take hubby in there in the wheelchair back in the day. He would rather shuffle around on my arm, but it became such a slow process. Once you hook the trolley to the wheel chair its brilliant, and has a great turning circle. I could glide through the isles so easily and fill up the trolley. What I hadn’t appreciated was that Rob, with his dementia and therefore struggling to process everything, could see less and less the more I piled into the trolley because it was at his eye level. He kept thinking everything in the trolley was sliding around, and was gripping on for dear life thinking he was going to tip out. I learnt to retain calm at all times, and keep a gap between him and the produce in the trolley!! lol

• loislane 23rd March 2021 at 7:09 pm

Aw, I felt sad at that and yet slightly humourous

• Gill B 23rd March 2021 at 7:12 pm

I know what you mean. I do find the funny side of some very sad situations – probably my coping mechanism. However, Rob would have laughed if he could have understood. I just didn’t realise that someone sitting in the wheelchair can only see the shopping!

• Marica 24th March 2021 at 4:23 pm

Yes, I had the same with Alan but rarely took him food shopping and had to build up to taking him shopping anywhere as he “wheeled off” in another direction and I kept losing him. He was a right s.d doing this! I felt like I was looking after a toddler at times! Not sure if it was on purpose to escape me or making a joke to wind me up!

• Gill B 24th March 2021 at 8:39 pm

I can’t help laugh Marica although at the time I know it was extremely stressful. I couldn’t have let Rob have a motorised wheelchair, he would have been a complete liability. I just had to keep him close to me at all times. He couldn’t be left on his own at all .. so he had to come with me. A couple of times I left him for 15mins in the car. I’d get back and his door was open. A friend of mine recently left her husband for 15mins in the car because he was getting tired (not stable on his feet). When she returned to the car he wasn’t there. 4 hours later he was found by a couple 6 miles away near reculver walking the beach. The only reason the couple knew he was lost was because, just as they were drinking a cuppa, a facebook post popped up with his photo explaining he was missing. How he managed to walk that far is amazing. Police helicopter was out and everything!

• Marica 24th March 2021 at 10:26 pm

Oh my goodness! This is the joy of dementia . I was grateful my husband could not walk having dementia as they do go walking, awful as that sounds, but even in a wheelchair , he manged to do The Great Escape. I reckon he could have outdone Steve McQueen!

• loislane 22nd March 2021 at 8:41 pm

All my favourites

• Gill B 21st March 2021 at 4:11 pm

Hee hee. I don’t actually drink. If it were for my daughter in law it would be Pinot Grigio. If for my cousin it would be a Rioja. If for my late husband it would have been a Malbec or Merlot. If for my goddaughter and her mum (oldest school friend) it would be Prosecco of which if there were some blackcurrant or cassis around, I could manage one small glass with a drop or two of that in it!!

• Gill B 21st March 2021 at 3:16 pm

Staples in any shopping basket Michael! 😂

Add