Home Forums Gardening Sunshine, fresh air and an array of colourful flow...

Rebecca 2021 Posted 1 year ago
Sunshine, fresh air and an array of colourful flowers 🌺
23 likes & 22 replies
    • Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 8:25 pm

Daffodils remind me of my dad. He died in March 1971 and someone gave my mother daffs every year on the anniversary of his death. So I see daffs and think of him. A lovely thought. He was 52 when he died. Too young – as were my sister and I – and mum who was 10 years younger than him.

• Josie The Black Country Wench 9th March 2021 at 7:41 am

What a beautiful memory. But so sad too. 💗

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 8:07 am

You just don’t know what’s in store – as indeed you know full well!! If it’s your time it’s your time! Such a long time ago now of course. Heart attack on way to work. Mum died just 15 years later at age 58.

• Rebecca 2021 9th March 2021 at 10:22 am

What a lovely way to remember your dad. My father died at a fairly young age, too. I was quite young then and don’t remember him having a favourite flower, however mum loved dahlias.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 12:57 pm

Even at 12 I didn’t really know my dad .. its an odd thing really … just beginning to identify with him as a person I guess. He worked such long hours he was only around at weekends, but he was a lovely man I remember, and his lap and cuddles were a dream destination ! lol

I’m sorry you have little memory of him.

I was going to write it wasn’t dad’s favourite flower, but actually it has just dawned on me why it was Daffodils that the friend sent. I thought it was because they were in season when he died, and there were loads around… But he was welsh .. so of course daffodils are most appropriate!!! Gosh, that’s only taken me 50 years to sort that one out in my head!

• Rebecca 2021 9th March 2021 at 6:32 pm

Even although I was quite young, I hold vivid memories of the last couple of years of my dad’s life as he suffered from poor health then. I wasn’t mature enough to see him, or my mum, as other than parents. Being a single mum bringing up quite a large family, my mum’s identity didn’t ‘materialise’ until my siblings and I left home.

It was good to hear that daffodils now evoke an even stronger association with your dad….Lightbulb moments such as this are wonderful and good for the soul. Daffodils are now springing up everywhere and are a joy to behold!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 6:44 pm

I hope your vivid memories are not traumatic for you anymore. Your mum seems amazing to have brought you all up as a single parent. I just think how difficult it must have been to bring up two teenage daughters with totally different temperaments on her own. Stoical stuff!

• Rebecca 2021 9th March 2021 at 7:23 pm

I’ve learned not to dwell too much on memories that evoke unsettling reactions, as they can’t be changed. My mum’s approach to single parenthood was to instil independence and responsibility in her children from an early age (didn’t always go down too well). The highs and lows of bringing up my own children made me realise that it must have taken a Herculean effort on my mum’s part to get her offsprings to adulthood.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 7:40 pm

I moved my life forward very quickly each time I experienced loss, and just got on with living.

However a few years ago those emotions kept coming to the surface when faced with a certain, eventual and slowly creeping loss. It was affecting me massively, and it was wholly because I hadn’t grieved those past losses of parents, family and friends. So I decided I needed to do something about it. I realised it was time I had to bring it all up and face those never felt emotions. It was tough to do it, but it has been transforming and has been for me one of the best things I could have done for myself. Things still do surface occasionally, but that’s ok, I just let it go.

It was and is a personal choice, and I quite understand why many would not want, or are not ready, to go there. They also survive without doing so too. However not doing it was affecting my day to day life, so something had to give!

• min 10th March 2021 at 5:13 pm

Nice that you got there though.

• Marica 9th March 2021 at 3:10 pm

That is so sad, Gill but you do have happy memories

• Josie The Black Country Wench 9th March 2021 at 8:23 am

My dad believed in fate. Always said that there was a day time place with your name on it. May be a long time ago but we never ever forget. I still miss my dad and mom. They both left 16 years ago. Six months apart. He couldn’t live without her.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 1:06 pm

Well yes .. who knows if it is fate or not. Medicine has moved on from when my parents passed away, and dad would probably have had a stent or bypass or something. Procedures that weren’t available back then – and of course scans weren’t available either. He would be 103 next month – so its irrelevant.

Of course my parents age has frozen in time. They didn’t have to experience age creeping up on them, and I haven’t had the responsibility for their health and wellbeing (although I did for other family members just at a younger age that one might normally expect). No complaints from me. We deal what life throws at us and find the strength from somewhere to cope!

• andrea 9th March 2021 at 1:08 pm

Lovely

• Marica 9th March 2021 at 3:11 pm

A lovely cheery photo, thank you , really cheered me up

• Diana and Penny 9th March 2021 at 4:54 pm

Where is this Rebecca?

• Rebecca 2021 9th March 2021 at 6:41 pm

The park is known as Leith Links and is situated on the north side of Edinburgh; the periphery of the park is currently covered in flowers. A feast for the eyes!

• Deleted User 10th March 2021 at 6:37 am

Beautiful – it’s amazing what a little show of sunshine, and a welcome change in the weather, does for how you feel. Happy Spring days. Xx

• Kathscot 10th March 2021 at 8:20 am

So beautiful It must lift your heart after the brutal winter you’ve had

• E-man 29th March 2021 at 4:30 pm

A huge garden !!!!!

Add