Home Forums Health Strength/balance training

Add comment

• Strength/balance training

Hello, I read the article on the importance of strength training and balance as we head into the 50’s and beyond. I was always quite active and enjoyed swimming and hiking etc. With life busy during my 40’s I slipped away from it a bit. I have been doing a 3-4 times a week routine of dumbbell workouts mixed with stretching and balance techniques( standing on one leg and then other for as long as you feel able)….so I progressed from lifting 2kg weights(4kg total) to lifting 5kg(10kg total) over roughly an 18 month period….I feel stronger and if I do say so myself, pretty lean! I also incorporate about 40 minutes of brisk walking at least twice a week(sometimes weather permitting 😂. I am 55 years old and retired from nursing, my husband and I have other little business ventures we enjoy. I also massively love gardening….again a seasonal/weather friendly activity. All in all if you get started, you just may find that making time for activity becomes high on your weekly list of priorities 🏋️‍♂️….enjoy!🥰

Posted by christinesajohnston
Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Reply by barbarafuller23

Hi Everyone.       I am new to this group and well into my 71st year.     I lack any motivation at all at the moment for doing anything.   My diet is dreadful and i have problems with lower back pain and Hip.    Being lazy isn’t helping that any.        I do know what i should be doing as i used to be a keep fit fanatic when i was younger.   I have such good intentions and convince myself that tomorrow i start again..    Somehow though i seem to sabotage myself into not doing what i said i would.     Anyone have any idea’s how i could start to change this downward spiral  i seem to be in please ?  I live on my own too so nobody to give me any real encouragement.

• Reply by Jille

I  attend a group at my gym twice a week, we do some strength training as well as cardio.

• Reply by Karen

I have a real passion for keeping fit. I turned 63 last month and have been serious about fitness since I first joined a gym back when i was 44.  Never looked back and swear exercise and eating  a good diet is what keeps me from failing health as it is a rarity that I am ill and don’t take sick leave from work. I have a physical job though thankfully I am now partially retired and only have another 3 years to work. When not in the pandemic I dance on a regular basis, ballroom latin and rock n roll, sometimes a little modern jive and do CrossFit which covers cardio, weight training and gymnastics.. I have missed both terribly during lockdown but found a new discipline of stair running 100 flights plus a day and since 1st May have ran up the equivalent of Mount Everest, Kilimanjaro and K2 and now running up Mauna Kea! It has kept my cardio fitness at a good level and done wonders for my legs … wit woo! Like many people during lockdown I have also done much more walking which is how I have enjoyed quality time with my daughter and we have walked fast and talked even faster!  Also been exercising the mind with more reading than I have done in years.  I live on my own so have had plenty of quiet time t get through some brilliant self help and mindful books.  Sorry to have rambled on… when I get started ……..

• Reply by tina.mckenzie

Guys, go to YouTube, search for “Fabulous50s”, she does balance workout and all workouts suitable for this age group.  I do them about 3-4 times a week, plus walking.  Im currently furloughed and have lots of time to do this, need to get back to work though …

• Reply by peterlaw23

Hi, an excellent topic if I may say so! I have often thought about core strength and balance but done little about it im afraid. My thoughts on this subject range back many years when my wife and I had a brief association with Yoga and I have often thought it a pity not to have kept it up!

• Reply by lyn

Even at 73 I have continued with swimming, dancing and pilates. Since lockdown I have slipped from grace and only managed the occasional exercise routine at home. Now out and about I’ve had 2 falls. No real damage but a bit of a shock I’m back to standing on one leg exercises and walking sideways whenever I can. Bought Pilates dvd too!!!

• Reply by Karen

Hi Lyn, it’s great to see you’re taking such steps to correct your imbalance.  What came to mind though was have you checked that you don’t have an inner ear problem that caused you to be off balance and so have the falls. Seems you were keeping fit before lockdown and yet these falls just a few months later?  I do hope you haven’t had anymore since you last posted. Xx

• Reply by lyn

Thank you Karen. My lack of balance comes from having no feeling in the toes of my left foot following foot surgery. Balance exercises keep me upright!!! I now know that I’m a social exerciser as am perfectly capable of doing all exercises on my own but don’t have the push. That has now changed. 😁

Viewing 4 reply threads