Home Forums Health Stopping smoking

YorkshireJohn Posted 9 months ago
Stopping smoking

Does anyone know where to find an online buddy to try to stop smoking with? Are people intending to stop or have successfully just stopped? How hard was it? When does it start to get easier?

3 likes & 23 replies
    • Shirlann 16th October 2021 at 1:55 pm

Think you got to really want to stop 🙃if got a little part that doesn’t not going to happen 🤨my husband just stopped but got daughters who can’t do more than a week !

• TmonT 16th October 2021 at 2:12 pm

Good luck 🤞don’t want to discourage Iv e tried more times than I can count used everything under the sun including hypnosis Think my problem is there are still certain times of day I enjoy a smoke If i could just stick to them I’d be happy But dont loose faith lots manage 🤞

• Dreamyboy 16th October 2021 at 2:16 pm

Was a 30 a day chap for 30 years – decided I wanted to stop (more for the money to be honest) doctor put me on Zyban, which I didn’t really bother with, along with Allen Carrs stop smoking book, which was definitely a help, just ate my bodyweight in mints – Basically within about three weeks it was as if I had never smoked, I was annoyed I’d never tried before, I always tried every excuse to get out of it. Over ten years later I still get pangs but know I’d be a mug to go back to it – give it a go, it’s really worth it.

• YorkshireJohn 16th October 2021 at 4:44 pm

Just bought Alan Carrs book, thank you for the recommendation

• Dreamyboy 16th October 2021 at 7:33 pm

Good man John – it just states the obvious really and just keeps repeating it in lots of different ways – I decided it was just some sort of physiological thing to drum the message into my tiny little brain – I didn’t mind as long as it worked, I just found it useful to pick up and read when I fancied a fag and after a few pages the urge would disappear 👍

• Kazzy62 16th October 2021 at 5:29 pm

Hi John I’ve recently given up smoking I used the patches I found them very good .But it’s your mental attitude that counts .You’ve got to be really determined and strong willed and not give up if u first fail .keep trying you’ll have better health and save pounds

• adge747 17th October 2021 at 10:30 am

Hi John you will be pleased to know that it can be done. I gave up about 30 years ago I certainly missed it for the first few years. But I am very pleased I persevered well worth the struggle both from a financial point and for my health. You can do it! Kind regards, Adrian

• Greenlady01 17th October 2021 at 10:52 am

I have certain ones a day that I really enjoy -like after a meal so I vape until lunch and I stick to just a few each day..it works for me.

• reliquit 17th October 2021 at 11:55 am

I stopped smoking in 1985. The “lightbulb moment” for me was after my wife and I had been out for the day to mid-Wales. I had a started pack of 20 about half-full, so on the way out I called in at the local shop and bought 2 more packs. Early evening, as we were on our way home, I reached for the pack on the dashboard and it was empty. Then I looked in the other 2 packs and they were empty as well! In the course of a day’s sightseeing in the Elan Valley I had smoked approx 50 cigarettes!

So that was the day I gave up. No nicotine patches in those days, just pure cold turkey. As an incentive, I physically put aside the money I would have spent on cigarettes everyday and it wasn’t long before I had enough put aside to buy a Nikon SLR camera that I wanted.

So how long did it take? The worst of the cravings subsided after about three weeks, but I would say it was at least 10 years before I could truly say that I had given up.

• Pennypitstop 17th October 2021 at 1:10 pm

I know it isn’t the same as stopping but have you tried vaping, it takes a bit of getting used to but once you have you will not want to go back to ciggarettes. The NHS reccomend vaping as it is has minimal health risks, you can buy the products in Boots and Lloyds pahrmacy etc. It still gives you the nicotine, which is actually harmless unless you have high blood pressure or similar and dont drink it as it is fatal if you do. There is no smoke which is the reason why smoking is bad, no tar to clog up your lungs. I have been vaping for over 10 years so my lungs are now considered clear, there is no smell on my clothes and it is a lot more socially acceptable although you still can’t use them inside public places or transport, you are not harming anyone with secondary smoke and you will definately feel healthier and be able to walk and run without getting breathless.
      The other massive bonus is the cost ….20 a day is about £80 a week vaping costs about £10/15 a week once you have bought the kit. I use Blu pro.
      You need to persevere with them but it is a very positive change if you can mange it. One tip i have is don,t drag the vapour in as stongly as you would with a ciggie you will start coughing start of gently and you will learn how you like it. Good luck it is definately worth a try.
      Also the government is supposed to be stopping the sale of all tobbacco products by 2030 so you have a few years to make the change over.

• Magpie 17th October 2021 at 1:28 pm

Hi YorkshireJohn,- I stopped about 25 years ago. I used Zyban tablets, they did work.
      It takes on average a person about 8 times before the become smoke free. So if you stop then start again – don’t be hard on yourself, just keep trying , you will get there.
      The thing to do is never give up trying to stop, because there will be the one time where everything will come together and you will succeed.
      You are only ever addicted to the equivalent of nicotine in 5 cigarettes, the rest is psychological.
      There are lots of services around that support smoking cessation such as GP’s, Pharmacies, Health Trainers. Different areas offer different services. I would say the support of other people can make the difference.
      You will definitely improve your quality of life once you stop.
      Good luck!

• YorkshireJohn 18th October 2021 at 8:06 am

Day 1 – 90 minutes so far lol

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice,

Normally I would have had 5 cigarettes by now, I am working from home still and I live alone so it is a challenge to not just have a break and walk away from the computer on a regular basis and light up. I cannot remember many times I have not had morning cigs so a good start so far.

I had tried replacing cigarettes with vaping side by side it was ok but I could not managed to replace the cigs.

Patches worked short-term but really disturbed sleeping, tried the spray that just made my eyes water and give me hiccups, foolishly the last time I tried it I was on a busy train never again.

I started smoking at 15, 40 years ago, minus a 4 year break in the middle.

So this weekend I read or rather listened to Alan Carrs book twice and I have my thoughts in order so here I go, apparently once you have a positive and determined approach and you can keep that approach then this should be simple!

• Brig99 18th October 2021 at 9:41 am

Hi John. I stopped in January 1992 after buying one packet of nicoteen chewing gum, which at the time would have preferred to spend on cigarettes. First few weeks were the hardest but I was determined to give up for good, on my third attempt. Took about a year to feel I was no longer a smoker. I smoked for about 20 years – a packet a day, with the first fag in the morning and the last one before bed. So glad I kicked the habit now and I smell much nicer! You can do it.

• YorkshireJohn 18th October 2021 at 9:52 am

Thanks Brig99, I am determined this time so going to really try, it’s only day 1 and so a long way to go and I am not in supported environment with not being in the office with the distractions that would be there etc, but these restless posts are giving me a great deal of encouragement.

• Brig99 18th October 2021 at 12:30 pm

Tbh, I was also angry at myself for being controlled by the addiction and resented spending money to satisfy an urge that ended going up in smoke. It takes time but the urge to smoke does fade eventually and think of the money you can save.

• siandeve15 18th October 2021 at 9:54 am

You have seriously want to stop as it’s not easy.
      My wife cannot understand how I managed to just stop in the way I did.
      I’d decided to stop & had stopped for a day of & on.
      Then out of the blue I went from 20 a day to 10 to 5 to nil
      No chewing gum, no patches no nothing.
      End of.
      Yes I gained a stone&
      & was grumpy for a while but small price to pay in the long run & took it of when I got used to not smoking.
      That was at least 25 or more years ago.
      It’s the furtherest thing In my head or not in my head.
      Listen you can climb Everest
      or whatever you want if you put your mind to it.
      If you fall at the
      first hurdle stop the next day.
      It’s your life you can achieve just about anything you want to if your hungry enough in the first place.
      My question is:
      Are you hungry enough to achieve your goal?
      If so stop all this will I won’t I.
      Just do it & do it today.
      What part of NOW don’t you understand?
      Let me know how you get on.
      Regards Simon

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 18th October 2021 at 11:33 am

I attempted a few times with the help of patches, gum etc. whatever it takes. … just keep trying to quit until you do .. you have to be determined … and committed… don’t compromise and start vaping … it’s just replacing one habit with another.. and vaping is not without its downside.
      Keep trying .. you can do it .. good luck!

• Mad Ralph 18th October 2021 at 12:18 pm

Hi John good luck with it bud, when I stopped I downloaded this free app called “quit it” (the lite version is free)
      It tracks various things and it’s good to keep you motivated.
      I was smoking 20 a day and the money saved is at the price of a pack in 2013.

• Lindsey 19th October 2021 at 9:51 am

Hi YorkshireJohn, I’m on my 9th day of not smoking and I feel so relived and free from the shackles of it, the smell, the constant clearing of my throat. I’ve been on and off for around 4 years trying to stop after being free of smoking for 4 years !
      Stupidly I started again after a traumatic time in my life.
      I find reading the positives to not smoking helps me, articles on line etc. I’ve also hit alcohol on the head as for me if I had a drink I’d want to smoke or if I smoked I wanted a drink! 😂.
      One day at a time, one hour, one minute you can do this. 😊

• Oaksb 19th October 2021 at 10:18 am

Hi John
      I would also recommend the Allen Carr book The easy way to stop smoking. After reading the book I never had another cigarette and that was 17 years ago now. Definitely feel the benefits in terms of fitness and financially. After reading his book I felt ridiculous for thinking for so long I was addicted to smoking and it was something that I couldn’t stop doing.
      Good luck, just tell yourself you can do this!

Add