Home Forums General Stay motivated during retirement

Add comment

• Stay motivated during retirement

My second top worry about retirement (after running out of money) is staying motivated in my life and not get bored and lazy. Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

Posted by sital.bahia
Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Reply by morselouise9

Volunteer.  Help somebody else.  The rewards will keep you motivated!

• Reply by aroma

I retired 2 years ago before retirement age and having worked full time since I was 16 thought it was ‘me time’ plus my job was very stressful and I never seemed to switch off taking work home etc. Best decision I ever made and I wonder how I found time to work. Friends tell me how much more relaxed I am. I find lots of things to do see friends, read, walk, dog boarding and volunteering. You do have to motivate yourself to do things some days but if you feel like lazing around all day reading then you can although it did take me a while to dismiss the ‘guilt’ feeling when I did 🙂 . If anyone is thinking of doing it then do, there are plenty of things out there to keep you occupied but you have to help yourself and look they won’t come looking for you, it has been difficult during the COVID but onwards and upwards. Life is for living. Good luck everyone who is thinking of doing it you will wonder why you didn’t do it earlier.

• Reply by Petjoy

I am a dog walker. I’m nowhere near retirement, just turned 51, but a suggestion that springs to mind is that you could approach local dog walkers to offer to support them with their business. If you love dogs, like walking, this gives you the chance to meet other people and earn some money.

• Reply by pinkgekko

Thank you Helen for your kind words.  I like your idea of consciously reviewing these on a regular basis.  I’ve found that I only do that when Im feeling that something is not right ie Im feeling low or out of sorts.  A preemptive strike may be whats needed !

• Reply by pinkgekko

Hi

Im Angela and Ive just joined this group.  I recently gave up full time employment and effectively made myself retired at age 55.  So yes, I can totally recognise the worries that come with this change.

When you are working you do have structure to your day/week/month.  Even if you never thought you needed it, when you stop doing what you’ve been doing for 30+ years, believe me, you need a substitute

Having quit my full time job, sold the house, and moved to the other side of the country, I had about 6 months of what Is call decompression time and then I approached retirement like a new type of work. I wrote this structure to help me make the change.

It may not help answer the money worries but here you go….

1. Physical – be active everyday. I could do more here, but walking the dog and clearing the garden are Ok for now.
      2. Art/Creative– whether its an appreciation for an art form or hands on creation.  I did a ceramics course at the local Uni and visit local museums and art galleries.
      3. Social– make a concerned effort to keep in touch with friends and work colleagues and to make some new ones too. Ive denounced the digital and started handwriting to friends. Its hard moving to another area where you didn’t know anyone so I think this is where volunteering might help.
      4. New skills– music,  plastering, whatever takes your fancy
      5. Work’–  pension is shockingly low so Ive started to coach Corporate managers /leaders.  It brings in some revenue and I love it. Think about what you enjoyed in your working life and try and use that to find a way top up the income, if needed.

Hope this helps

• Reply by Helen Burns

Hi Angela

How did I miss this wonderful post, full of really pragmatic and nourishing suggestions? Thank you for sharing them. I think of those elements a bit like a pie and being able to review daily or weekly, how full your pie is. Sital, what are your thoughts – something you might be able to emulate (with your own pie flavours, of course!)

• Reply by py12

Do you mean ‘carer’?

Either way career or carer, I don’t understand what your response has  to do with the initial post.

• Reply by morselouise9

Caring in the social work sector is something lots of retired people do, by volunteering.   They make a difference to people”s lives.

• Reply by noddyboffin

Hiya, I’m Carmel a community career but am educated to degree level in literature. I’m passionate about dragging the care industry into the 21st century however , being a community career this is virtually impossible to be heard and yet it is through listening to the careers which is the only way we can change anything. The social services are grinding it into the ground. It is so hard four careers to get a managerial post within care but this is what is desperately needed.

• Reply by morselouise9

I am so with you on this Carmel!  I wrote for the social  care and older age sector.  Join me on  my GB page, ‘Books by Louise Morse’.

• Reply by py12

I have that problem. No motivation and I’m getting bored and lazy.

• Reply by sheela.kenan

You could volunteer.

• Reply by py12

Yes I thought of that. I’m sure I’ll pull myself out of this mood.

Viewing 7 reply threads