Home Forums Book Club Stand a chance to win a copy of ‘How to Get...

Team Rest Less Posted 11 months ago
Stand a chance to win a copy of ‘How to Get Over Being Young’

Atlantic Books in association with Rest Less would love to give away 10 copies of Charlotte Bauer’s new book How To Get Over Being Young to Rest Less members.

For a chance to receive a copy, please post below and tell us how you have coped with the transition through midlife in a ‘world obsessed with youth’, 10 members, chosen at random, will be sent a copy.

How to Get Over Being Young is a deliciously funny and sage guide to midlife – an unscientific, flaws-and-all account of one woman’s adventures and misadventures through the dark comedy of the wilderness years.

Through her own experiences as a fifty-something woman, and those of her three sisters, her indomitable mum and rebellious auntie, Charlotte tackles the big questions every woman seeks answers to at this time of our lives – chiefly: How the hell am I going to get over being young in a world obsessed with youth? Written with warmth, wisdom and irreverence this guide to midlife is perfect for readers of Nora Ephron, Caitlin Moran and India Knight.

You can also buy a copy of the book here: https://bit.ly/HTGOBYRestLess

8 likes & 28 replies
    • Meowmy 6th August 2021 at 3:06 pm

I had taken early retirement for personal reasons, but then ended up volunteering in SA in the Kruger National Park. I trained in guiding, including back pack trails including advanced heavy-calibre rifle training, and worked with anti-poaching forensic team. Majority of colleagues were young men….handful of older men and young women….but I was by far the oldest woman! Loved it…..what memories!

• Ems 6th August 2021 at 8:10 pm

I think for me it’s finally being comfortable in your own skin. The saying goes… beauty fades but your personality is for life. It’s also the hard fought wisdom and life experience gained from the university of life. Life’s a journey not a destination. Its living a healthy life both in mind, body and soul. I find being mindful about what you put in your body, being healthy with my choices in exercise i do and this not being a chore but above all else its living each day mindfully, appreciating what you have got, health, good friends and family and living life as a sybarite!

• Christine Twigg 7th August 2021 at 12:23 am

What youth? I just keep being myself – age doesn’t define me!😁

• alohavic 7th August 2021 at 7:48 am

For me it’s about continuing to challenge myself both physically and mentally. I took up trampolining and discovered a passion I never knew I had and am about to start a facial massage course to help keep my brain (and hands) ticking over!

• Deleted User 7th August 2021 at 8:13 am

Wow Middle aged, it’s here, it’s now, it’s me, I’m fortunate that my most influential person aka my Mum, has never appeared to have an issue with age/aging and has transitioned well through the chapters and kept young at heart. That example has served me well and to help me navigate this new territory full of change. This journey is uniquely mine and I don’t do comparisons or competition, I’ve just moved house, to be closer to family again,, Once I’m settled (ish) then a new job/career..I can’t say I’m in an ideal place having recently lost my partner during the second lock down,,, “Keep moving”, is my motto, whether it be external or internal, coupled with knowing when and allowing myself to rest is critical…
      What’s next?

• LindaMcguchan 7th August 2021 at 8:20 am

I’m okay with looking my age! I don’t want to look older than my age but I don’t mind looking my age! 😜

• Jacx 7th August 2021 at 8:48 am

Red wine, dark chocolate, my granddaughter, meditation, yoga, weight training, my sense of humour, back into learning/training for a new career and owning my S#!£. 😊

• N1geD 7th August 2021 at 8:53 am

I’m not sure that I transitioned. Midlife was certainly a move – from one career path to another – out of the private sector. I have three adult (over 20) children. Midlife was staying busy whilst becoming the support (rather than main) domestic income provider. We spent 13 years connected to the same primary school – one of our sons was in year 6 just as his younger brother started in the infants. Then we did it all over again with secondary school.

I think of the time from my 30s to my 50s as stepping stones. Some were firm, some moved as you stepped on them and some had no intention of supporting my weight for very long. It was a time of seeing other couples and the trials they went through. It wasn’t really a time for an affair or a fling with a Harley Davidson. One step change was losing my father at 35. There were adjustments of a size then that haven’t really repeated until quite recently, when mum died.

I discovered different sides to volunteering – working for a co-ordinating body that reviewed how organisations involve volunteers in their work, amongst other things. The perspective it gave was to wonder how society would grind to a halt without them (volunteers).

I’m pleased to say this period wasn’t defined by a receding hairline or encroaching baldness. Although my eyebrows started going grey.

• k.beecham 7th August 2021 at 8:57 am

Looking for new challenges and not thinking about my age it’s just a number. I am lucky to have two sons
      Who keep me young and in touch.
      It’s all about your mindset.
      Life is what you make it.

• Deleted User 7th August 2021 at 10:29 am

My 4 beautiful grandchildren keep me young

• Indiana 7th August 2021 at 11:24 am

Keeping busy and balancing structure and ‘jobs’ with seeing friends and family, does, I hope, keep me interesting and vibrant.
      Keeping up contacts as well as being fun and feeling good, exposes me to different ideas and views that being more isolated wouldn’t give.
      Being friendly develops new and valuable friendships. Being kind develops wellbeing.
      I love my home and creating a comfortable environment to live in.
      Creating whether it be upcycling furniture, cooking or decorating is so fulfilling.
      I am getting more comfortable with older age but to be honest my lifestyle means that I’m not really conscious of how old I am.
      I still do the things that I love, like go to live rock gigs, and believe that doing what you love is important, irrespective of being a grandma and receiving a pension.

• sallyj 7th August 2021 at 11:40 am

As I’ve got older I worry less about what others think of me. This gives me the freedom to do things that I would never have had the confidence to do twenty or thirty years ago, such as public speaking and running two reading groups.
      I try to take opportunities without overthinking things.
      I certainly don’t worry (or envy!) youth.

• AlexandraHG60 7th August 2021 at 11:39 pm

I use tapping and meditation and dream of a new life in Norfolk. Believe in myself, love my children and my friends, family and cats. Never give up, always seek a solution to problems. Stress less and be thankful and grateful for each and every day I’m alive and the sun is shining.

• SDW2021 8th August 2021 at 10:34 am

I do not buy magazines or watch TV (except the TV news), so I am less likely to compare myself to the people that I might see

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th August 2021 at 1:04 pm

I can say that I trust my gut instincts, I’m more confident now and say my opinions. I believe in my strengths and don’t listen to the negatives. I’ve ditched the people that cause drama and have enjoy the here and now.

• Coley62 8th August 2021 at 6:44 pm

Simples.. Getting older is a gift & a most precious one at that 🎁😍

• VLB 8th August 2021 at 10:35 pm

Red wine, running, spending time with friends and family and making sure I focus on enjoying the moment rather than looking backwards or forwards. I don’t always get this right and that includes choosing the right bottle of wine!

• Glamgran54 9th August 2021 at 7:31 am

My children keep me going and I don’t look at it as getting old but instead starting a new chapter. Focusing on myself now that the children are young adults and getting on with life.
      Looking forward to making new memories!!🙂

• Gary K 9th August 2021 at 7:38 am

I always work to ensure I have a purpose. I changed career three times retiring two years ago but really discovered purpose in my early forties. Like career, purpose can (and should) change to keep you fresh. Its got to be about what you have passion for at that time in your life, what spins your wheels, gives you personal satisfaction and a reason to get up and keep going for it.

• Polly123 9th August 2021 at 11:08 am

When I had my 50th birthday i was soooo happy, life was good, work was good….
      Fastforward 10 years, every joint is aching! Doc says well its your age!
      So now I do as much as I can,
      Swimming, because I can,
      Line dancing, because I can,
      Looking after grandchildren, because I can,
      Playing bingo, because I can,
      Not dwelling on the darned/hated hearing aids, (Whats the point)
      Splashing out on the varifocals (Thank God I can!)
      Trying hard to keep my own teeth, because I can,
      Cutting my own toenails, (just about) because I can!
      Do I worry about lip fillers, botox etc/ No No No, thank God for wisdom!
      Try to grow old gracefully, (because I can)
      Libraries are another blessing, how they have been missed!
      Would I go to a nightclub now? Not on your nelly, (cant think of anything worse!)
      So be happy folks, its the only way forward, give your wisdom to your grandkids, because we can!

• Sue47 10th August 2021 at 2:23 am

I have grandchildren from the ages of 9 months to 30 years, I go to the park, swimming, activity centres with the smallest ones, take the teens on holidays – the latest was 5 days in Rome, clothes shop with the ‘grown up’ ones, and tenpin bowling, cinema or theatre with those who are old enough. I volunteer on a telephone helpline regularly which makes me all the more grateful for what I have. Now 74 I believe you need to mix with the people you want to be with and you wont have to worry about ‘transitioning’, from one generation to another.

• Rosiephotos 11th August 2021 at 7:32 am

My life seems to get busier and busier since ‘retirement’ over 10 years ago. I took up photography as a hobby when i retired and now have a very successful photography business supplying many retailers in Devon and Cornwall plus online sales from my website. During Lockdown i added a new product to my website, jigsaws which were loved by many. They are so relaxing and absorbing when life is difficult. I also bought a Holiday Let in Looe Cornwall having previously owned a static caravan for 12 years. No
      I put all my photography profits into it and arranged a mortgage for the remainder. Not easy in my advancing years, 70 at the time, now 72.
      Unfortunately just as it was ready for holidays and fully booked we had Lockdown. However during Lockdown online photography sales doubled and I have survived. Apart from these two businesses, I am a daily sea swimmer, have two children, two stepchildren and 7 grandchildren. Hubby also needs looking after. 😊

• DavidAddy 17th August 2021 at 1:43 pm

Getting over being young absolutely love the title lol
      Well, I have noticed my own midlife transition and I cope by surrounding myself with positivity as I have always done. Of course, the majority of my friends being half my age helps lol and I always blend into younger situations.
      I just keep my bones creaking to I get home to myself :p

• DG50 17th August 2021 at 2:26 pm

As someone who wasn’t supposed to live past the age of 5 I’m grateful to still be here!

• rmn 19th August 2021 at 9:04 pm

Midlife? In my mind, that’s in 10 years time, but wait, I’m in my 50s…
      I guess I’m just really lucky with my role models – an ex neighbour who went camping in a 2 man tent in the African wilderness as an 89-year old, and many sailors at my club who are closer to 80 than 70. There are so many more adventures to have who has time to be ‘obsessed’ by their age!

• Jue.alexander 21st August 2021 at 2:39 pm

What a wonderful sounding book…
      My recent poor health (a shock at 54) has positively changed this mindset. I limit the evil that can be social media.I’m proud of small achievements,learning to be kind to myself and less self critical. I adore my first grandchild,and can sit back and watch my two children, making their way in the world with great pride.This is reaping the rewards for the years of hard work,worry and commitment. I love my stretch marks,thin lips, and crows feet from laughing and crying. It feels GOOD, and Youth cannot give you this. Oh,and thank god i dont have to post perfect photos,with no tan lines,cellulite, and swimwear up the crack of my bum!!

• Elfiftysomething 13th September 2021 at 6:12 am

Moving through midlife into my 50’s has on the whole being very liberating. I am more comfortable with myself and far less concerned by other peoples opinions of me. I feel less visible in respect of my physical appearance, which I have found positive and more aware of my ideas, opinions and understanding of others. I still work but my life moves at a calmer pace and therefore it gives me the time and space to really appreciate what I have and the special people I am lucky enough to know and those I am lucky enough to encounter.
      My children are now 19 and 23 and I am loving watching them find their way in the world and supporting them, whilst now having more time for myself.
      I would say to anyone, please don’t fear the passing of years, it is a privilege to be here x

• Team Rest Less 17th September 2021 at 9:03 am

We would like to thank you all so very much for commenting on this thread and confirm that we now have the 10 winners and the books are on their way to them.

We are leaving this thread open anyway and more posts/comments are always welcome.

Thank you all!

Team Rest Less

Add