Home Forums Food & Drink Sourdough bread

Dr Dave Posted 2 weeks ago Food & Drink
Sourdough bread

Ha anybody been making sourdough bread? I keep on thinking about it but never seem to decide to actually get on with it.

12 replies
    • Scaredofspiders 13th October 2021 at 4:18 pm

This may turn me into a social-pariah, but I don’t actually like sour dough bread. The crust always tastes over baked! I think you’d be better off with a tamagotchi if you want something to feed everyday! Ok I’m ready to be placed in the stocks and for public ridicule and humiliation

• Dr Dave 13th October 2021 at 4:22 pm

That’s the problem, I do love the taste of good sourdough bread. Like you say though, it does seem a bit like owning a pet that weds constant attention and feeding.

• Mad Ralph 13th October 2021 at 4:37 pm

I like a sourdough pizza base but don’t think I’d go to the effort of making my own.

• goldfish63 13th October 2021 at 10:15 pm

It is a case of why bother, you can save your time, the mess and cooking bill by just popping to Lidl and get a sourdough boule for a pound and it is the best!

• Bakingbree 14th October 2021 at 12:28 am

I can really recommend giving it a go. It’s not a quick loaf to make. Mine take nearly 24 hours from start to finish, but it’s worth the effort and much cheaper than buying from a shop.

• Gary K 14th October 2021 at 6:44 am

I think the key is taking the time to make your starter. Once you’ve got it going, its no more time consuming than making any other bread yourself. If you can’t be bothered to spend 5 or 10 minutes a day for a few days measuring and mixing flour and water, you can buy starters.
      My starter is 2 years old. If I need to bake, I take it out of the fridge the afternoon before and let it come to room temperature. Refresh it before going to bed (5 minutes, all you’re doing is adding flour and water and mixing it). Wake up, make bread, refresh starter again, leave it for the rest of the day, then re-decant into a jar, and bung it back in the fridge. Leave it until you need to bake more bread, then repeat. It should last for 3-4 weeks in the fridge without further attention.

• SteveInWales 14th October 2021 at 8:38 am

I enjoyed the process but as the proving takes so long I was having to prove it over night in the fridge and then get up extra early in the morning to bake it before going to work.
      I will have a go at baking it again after Ive retired and I have more time.

• EricaLovesFlowers 20th October 2021 at 10:44 pm

No need to. We’ve got two bakeries in the village that make the best sourdough bread ever!

• Dr Dave 20th October 2021 at 10:47 pm

I’m moving in 😊😊

Add