Home Forums Care & Caring Social housing for young adults

  • Social housing for young adults

    Hi, I was just wondering if this section is the best place to get some advice or experiences with social housing for young adults. In particular a 23 year old male who is currently unemployed, struggles with confidence and has previously had a bad experience of living away from home in a shared house. He is currently living with family but really wants to have his own place and independence but without a regular income this is rather difficult. I have heard that under the correct circumstances as he claims Universal Credit (job seekers) he might be able to move into social housing and be supported by the social services / DHSS until he gets a regular job and income. Unfortunately he has no savings to fall back on and is very unhappy with his current situation. This has also been posted in the House & Home section.

    Posted by Stuegie
    • Reply by Sunshine

      Have you contacted the local shelter housing and housing associations for advice locally?

    • Reply by Andy Paddles

      Unfortunately it looks unlikely, although he really does need to speak directly to the DHSS or the local Housing Authority,.GOV guidance is as follows (however I’m not an expert and this is just a quick Google) :

      When you may not be able to claim
      Usually, you will not get Housing Benefit if:

      your savings are over £16,000 – unless you get Guarantee Credit of Pension Credit
      you’re paying a mortgage on your own home – you may be able to get Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)
      you live in the home of a close relative
      you’re already claiming Universal Credit (unless you’re in temporary or supported housing)