Home Forums General So just heard 1 in3 will head to a beach this week...

Gardener52 Posted 1 year ago
So just heard 1 in3 will head to a beach this weekend ? ..I’m not my idea of hell would you ? Are you ?

Plans for this sunny weekend ? – Garden for me good book spot of pottering about 🌺

5 likes & 70 replies
    • Kooky 27th May 2021 at 9:35 am

Could do as the beach is a 5 minute walk but I’ll probably just carry on decorating the back room. I started half heartedly so it’s taking a while

• Deleted User 27th May 2021 at 10:12 am

Much prefer a quieter beach than a crowded beach.

Bank hold better at home in the garden as everywhere tends to be busy

• Shirlann 27th May 2021 at 10:17 am

No hopefully going to be in garden sorting it out🤔😁

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 27th May 2021 at 12:00 pm

I have a caravan at Hopton and will be heading there this weekend. The neighbouring beach at Gorleston is lovely but will avoid if very busy. It’ll be so nice to breath in the sea air. My happy place.
      Whether you’re enjoying your garden, going to the beach or just relaxing another way I hope you all have a restful and relaxing B/H.

• Jugmama 27th May 2021 at 12:03 pm

At this present time in our world I think it would be CRAZY. I would rather stay safe and comfortable. No sand in my sandwiches or screaming uncomfortable children. No couples arguing over who forgot what. No traffic jams or parking troubles. Oh yes garden, an afternoon libation and playing with my dog. Heaven.

• Gardener52 27th May 2021 at 12:08 pm

I’m not quite ready to squish myself on the beach with so many others either !
        My idea of hell personally and when I had 2 very small children I would pick the quietest beach ever for that very reason – I long for the sea but not just yet still early days
        Enjoy your weekend 🌸

• Sonny1234 27th May 2021 at 1:15 pm

I once went to Crete in my twenties & every body was crammed together on the beach , you literally had to step over people to get to the sea , I didn’t mind it back then but it would be my idea of hell nowadays !!

• Gardener52 27th May 2021 at 3:36 pm

Like one of those crazy game shows from Japan ! I think we have or I have become even more crowd phobic !

• Sonny1234 27th May 2021 at 5:04 pm

Hiya Gardener , it was one of those crazy young peoples holidays , never thought about how crowded it was but I would hate it nowadays , not just because of the Pandemic , I just prefer the quieter places !!

• Josie The Black Country Wench 27th May 2021 at 1:17 pm

Staying at home, try never to venture out on Bank Holidays unless it is chucking it down with rain. The beach is only 25 minutes away but I am not even tempted

• Gardener52 27th May 2021 at 3:39 pm

Yes I’ve often thought if you live near a beach it must be tricky at peak times ..I posted really because I just couldn’t believe the 1 in 3 going to the beach ! I trust the people on this site to give a balanced view so that’s why I asked the question really I’m doubtful of 1 in3 …especially if they are government figures !! But that’s a different debate 🥴

• loislane 27th May 2021 at 2:05 pm

With you on the beach front, mine is five miles away and nothing but pebbles. Not my idea of fun anyway.
      Reading, sudoku, annoying the cat is more fun.
      Would like to do the garden but haven’t the proper tools, it’s like the wilderness out there. Who needs the beach when I can go exploring for rare specimens out the back.

• Gardener52 27th May 2021 at 3:40 pm

Try free cycle loads of people update tools also put a request to borrow ? Could be the answer 🌷

• LeighS 27th May 2021 at 10:24 pm

Sounds like our garden, I’m just wondering what my son and I will find when we do get round to doing some gardening. Running out of excuses now that it seems we will be having some dry weather. Still the birds have liked it 🙂

• Nick Tilling 27th May 2021 at 2:42 pm

Much as I would like to see Scarborough or Whitby again it’s going to be crazy city this bank holiday, especially if the weather really does take a turn for the better.

Friends who live in Whitby told us that the brief let-up in regulations last year was dreadful – it attracted people who would normally go abroad and because they had to make do with second best, were rude and abusive, to locals and business owners alike, parked in front of people’s drives without a by-your-leave etc. It left everybody wanting to get back to normal with the goths.

So, this weekend, we shall be firing up the Big Green Egg in the garden.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 27th May 2021 at 3:52 pm

No beach for me this weekend unfortunately, being part viking I love the sea and living in the Midlands now miss it a lot, especially as I lived in Cornwall for 16 years…… I’m sure the sea calls me, if that makes sense I have to go to the coast from time to time and of course due to the pandemic so much has had to be put on hold, I have however booked a visit to a National Trust property in Stafford and if it looks safe to do so I will have a meal out somewhere, again something I’ve not done for absolute ages, Whatever you are doing enjoy and make the most of the weekend .

• Gardener52 27th May 2021 at 4:00 pm

Viking steve – I understand this regarding the sea I find if I visit a few times each year it fills up my strength banks and I’m such a mud lark I love nothing more than beach coming bringing back all sorts of craziness. I think it’s wise to be cautious I hate it because I really want to get back to life I enjoyed but I’m not selfish and I think of everyone as part of my community so let’s protect the community it will all still be there but like Nick said about the rude visitors I’m not a hold my mouth type woman so I can just see me spending all my time telling people to be nicer – enjoy your weekend hope the weather stays nice 🌷

• Marica 27th May 2021 at 6:55 pm

I must admit I avoid going out anywhere at bank holiday in the car . Though I am going for a nice London lunch on Saturday but that is the train (if they don’t cancel them!) I was asked to go to Rye over bank holiday but chose another day when the world are back at work, I hate crowds

• Tim B 27th May 2021 at 6:59 pm

Spent 3 days in Norfolk this week, visiting local beaches before the mad rush of half term families take over. Very peaceful in Hopton on Sea, Caister, Winterton on Sea and Gt Yarmouth. Lovely walk on the beaches

• Fuff 27th May 2021 at 7:03 pm

I live near the sea in Ayr so might have a visit to take some photos. Will probably go to one of the quieter beaches though 😊

• LucasH 27th May 2021 at 8:30 pm

“Chaos on the beaches” 😁
      I’m by the coast at the moment, Wittering. It’s a bank holiday and not raining, so will get busy but I don’t think it will be that bad.
      Let’s see what the papers have to say.

• Gardener52 27th May 2021 at 8:33 pm

I will be interested to know if you think it’s extraordinarily busy , There is busy and there’s dangerous keep us posted !
        Hope you have a good weekend

• LucasH 1st June 2021 at 3:24 pm

Hi,
          We walked along the (dogs allowed) beach with the dogs every day
          On Sunday and Monday it the beach was busy, busy like in the old days but I never thought it was dangerously busy, everyone was lots more than 2 metre and of course outside is much safer.

• Gardener52 1st June 2021 at 4:39 pm

Really great to hear that and good to be outside !!

• RBM 27th May 2021 at 9:35 pm

Hello, I live close to the beach at Clacton – on – sea and yes it will get very busy,
      I normally go for a morning walk along the sea front and take some photos but this bank holiday like every holiday time I stay away and do some gardening and art work.

• Deleted User 27th May 2021 at 10:20 pm

Not a snowball’s chance in hell! I only live 12 miles from the coast but it’ll be oversubscribed with tourists. Way more enjoyable in winter 🙂

• vicky53 27th May 2021 at 11:11 pm

I don’t live far from the beach, but don’t go near it on bank holidays, I like my beaches empty so I can walk and give my dog a good run, Will be spending it in my garden much more peaceful.

• Paul_ 27th May 2021 at 11:27 pm

If 1 in 3 are heading to the beach this weekend, this 1 is staying at home…!

• Sue47 28th May 2021 at 12:30 am

We lived 2 roads back from the beach in W Sussex and used to look forward to Autumn/Winter when we could ride and take the dogs on the beach. Now 60 miles from the coast I miss it but would never venture to a seaside town on Bank Holidays. A sun lounger, good book, a cup of EG and the cat in the shade under the lounger, is enough. I smile to myself thinking of all those poor souls stuck in traffic jams with kids squabbling in the back.

• Oracle06 28th May 2021 at 6:44 am

Whilst I briefly considered it ( a moment of madness as I long to breathe the sea air), I will be staying away I prefer my beaches quiet. Maybe visit a Farmers Market tomorrow (Saturday) and the local car boot for a mooch on Sunday the rest of the time will be spent on our latest gardening project with a BBQ thrown in the mix for good measure – got to take advantage of the weather forecast.

• Selsdon 28th May 2021 at 12:39 pm

Nope! That’s the beauty of being retired. Travel when everyone else is at work and avoid the traffic

• Selsdon 28th May 2021 at 8:36 pm

I decided on early retirement. Took a bit off the pension but I’ve never regretted it.

• Shirlann 29th May 2021 at 10:51 am

Been pouring with rain sun just coming out now 🙄for how long who knows 🙃

• mousebat 3rd June 2021 at 7:55 pm

Can’t be doing with crowds, so I’ll be staying away from beaches. I’d rather stay put and spend the time in my garden. I could always buy a bag of play sand and make sandcastles and dip my toe in the pond to feel as though I’ve been to the beach!?! 🙂

• Gardener52 3rd June 2021 at 8:02 pm

Ha ha love that .. I think we all love our outside spaces more since all this started .
        I think everywhere was very busy but you can understand people are desperate for some fun and freedom .. we live near M5 so us locals stay off it and don’t go south

• Gardener52 13th June 2021 at 7:30 pm

Ha ha I love this great idea 🌷

• mousebat 3rd June 2021 at 8:10 pm

I’m lucky enough to have a lovely garden I want to spend time in. It’s kept me active, busy & sane during lockdown, as I’m on my own. Mind you, I’m not sure how sane, as I do chatter away to the plants as I wander around with my secateurs! 🙂

• Colin in Kent 13th June 2021 at 5:43 pm

Back from a pleasant few hours at Hastings. Walk along the cliff tops, then an hour or so on the beach staring at the sea and cliffs. Wife now enjoying sitting in the garden, but I think I’ve had enough of the sun for one weekend.

• Gardener52 13th June 2021 at 7:29 pm

I really want to visit Hastings it’s on my list

• Colin in Kent 13th June 2021 at 7:55 pm

I know it can be quite ‘tacky’ (lot of amusements along the front), but there’s still so much history there. The Jack in the Green festival is well worth visiting for (but absolutely rammed), the Old Town, the fishing history, ruined castle – and Fairlight Country Park just outside is so beautiful. I live just about the other end of the A21, where I grew up in Bromley the road that ran along the top was Hastings Road as it goes all the way there. Always found that idea fascinating as a child and enjoyed going there.

• Gardener52 14th June 2021 at 5:21 pm

It’s still on my list thanks and I just ignore the tacky 😂

• Colin in Kent 14th June 2021 at 7:28 pm

Good for you!

Add