Home Forums General Smart Meters

Daisychain Posted 8 months ago
Smart Meters

It occurred to me this morning that not only can smart meters tell you what energy you use but as they can be operated by the supplier they can also turn your power off. Not to mention the huge hike in the cost of energy.

With the current problems with energy across Europe and the fire in Ashford in Kent, I suggest that power cuts may not be too far away.

Does anyone remember the power cuts in the 1970s and 80s? It was so disruptive to everyday life.

The whole situation concerns me as we are reliant on electricity (as are most people) for helping to run the gas central heating. I think I’m going to invest in a couple of hot water bottles, just in case.

15 replies
    • Mad Ralph 16th September 2021 at 7:05 pm

How strange. I remember the power cuts and I’ve just had a conversation with a friend about it. I agree with you, I’m pretty sure we’re going to experience it again in the near future. Having the conversation with my friend I’ve come to the conclusion it’s probably not a bad thing. It could teach the younger generation a valuable lesson.

• Chojo 16th September 2021 at 7:55 pm

I remember doing my homework by candlelight and the neighbours bringing pans of food round to cook as we were the only ones with a gas cooker!

• Mad Ralph 16th September 2021 at 8:05 pm

This is why I think there could be a valuable lesson to be learned. The art of caring/sharing/helping and talking to each other might be a good thing. It’s a sad fact that’s lots of people don’t know who their neighbors are these days.

• Always 16th September 2021 at 8:00 pm

Ahh yes I remember well searching for candles when the lights went out it was a regular occurrence

• Catwoman 16th September 2021 at 8:08 pm

Yes I remember them too

• ShirleyB 16th September 2021 at 8:48 pm

I remember the power cuts no music no TV – struggled to read a book by candlelight

• Daisychain 16th September 2021 at 9:09 pm

Last year I bought an emergency light plus batteries although I do have a couple of candles. It would be interesting to see how we all get along without our modern technology. I’d have to get the chess, backgammon and cards out plus practice the tin whistle. I’m just afraid of being really cold.

• LucasH 16th September 2021 at 11:53 pm

My smart meters aren’t that smart, they worked for British Gas but don’t work for my new supplier.

Why did they allow single supplier smart meters to be installed???

Apparently the new smart meters will work for any supplier.

• Daisychain 17th September 2021 at 7:03 am

Apparently they’ve nearly solved that one. Modern ones are supposed to be transferable 🤓

• MikeJ 17th September 2021 at 9:07 am

Same here Lucash. My new supplier has just changed the original ones for ones that all suppliers are supposed to be able to read. Believe that???

• Shirlann 17th September 2021 at 9:00 am

Got someone coming today to sort our smart meter out 🙄a morning of sitting in waiting for knock on the door 😏

• MikeJ 17th September 2021 at 9:13 am

I remember the power cuts, I had just started work as a graduate trainee engineer in Sheffield. One winter morning at coffee time one of the senior engineers looked down at their shoes to find one brown, one black. They had got ready for work during a power cut. But the funnier part was one shoe was a slip on whilst the other a lace up!! Well I thought it was funny.
      I hope that we don’t get power cuts again now. We are much more dependent on electricity now, I think.

Add