Home Forums Gardening Slugs and snails

Esse 4 hours ago Gardening
Slugs and snails

If you are awake in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep don’t just lie there get up and go on a SLUG PATROL. It sounds bizarre I know but when you go back to bed you just might drop off straight away. I go out armed with a torch and a small bucket of water and it is up to you how you dispose of them – last night I collected 71 the largest amount so far. I don’t expect you can ever get rid of them completely but as the old type of slug pellets are no longer available (which is not a bad thing) and the ones that you can buy now do not work, for me this is a solution.

Attachments:
5 likes & 15 replies Share
    • SelsdonLion 26th September 2021 at 6:35 pm

Hi Esse, 71 is an awful lot of slugs! Do you have a big garden? Or have you got plants they find particularly tasty 😉

• Esse 27th September 2021 at 8:39 am

I agree 71 is a huge amount, the week before the count was 63 so it would appear I am not winning. Slugs are between 1″ and 4″ long and snails, some tiny and some the size of escargots. They are on trays of pansies, aubretia and the tiny snails love alyssum saxatile and hostas. They climb the trellis which supports my clematis and I have even found them in a tray of succulents which is on a table on a gravel patio. There seems no end to where they can get to. On the bright side they do not seem to like heucheras.

Attachments:
    • Esse 27th September 2021 at 2:46 pm

Yes but you have to keep applying it and it works out quite expensive. When I cannot sleep I will continue my middle of the night hunting.

• jac-b 28th September 2021 at 9:05 am

We had chickens.
      Chickens = no slugs.
      The slugs went toward making tasty eggs.
      Now we have no chickens but lots of slugs.
      They get salted here.

• Glyn Colman 28th September 2021 at 6:33 pm

Try Beer traps bury jam jars up to the screw threads and half fill with some cheap beer. Better still if you know a landlord of a pub ask if you can have some of the pump spillage as it’s normally thrown away.

• ShirleyB 3rd October 2021 at 10:47 am

I read this somewhere and it works! – Smear Vaseline around the tops of pots or thickly at the base of trellis and they will not go over it – just remember to top it up now and again

• Esse 3rd October 2021 at 11:14 am

The only trouble with that is dirt etc get stuck to it and it looks a mess. S

• Sally Scarecrow 17th October 2021 at 12:07 am

The best thing by far, is garlic wash. Slugs hate the smell of it. I have the recipe for it if anyone fancied making some. It’s used by growers for RHS Chelsea Flower Show and is a great success.

• SelsdonLion 17th October 2021 at 8:58 am

Hi Sally, yes please! I’ve used garlic spray on plants to stop insect infestations. Sounds like a similar kind of thing didn’t know it worked on slugs. Does it work on snails?

• Sally Scarecrow 17th October 2021 at 11:29 am

I’m told it does work on snails, however I don’t have trouble with them, so I can’t speak personally about whether it works on them or not. Here is the recipe in case it’s different to the one you use……
          2 whole garlic bulbs ( no need to peel or break)
          Put into 2 litres of water
          Boil until soft
          Squash with potato masher
          Strain the liquid out and what you’re left with, is a concentrate
          Put 1 tablespoon of concentrate into 5 litres of water.
          Water over plants and the smell will keep slugs away.

• Esse 17th October 2021 at 8:55 am

Thanks for this Sally, I use a garlic spray from a recipe on Bowden Hostas website – it does deter them but not completely. They are very determined and does not work for snails

• Sally Scarecrow 17th October 2021 at 11:22 am

Shame it doesn’t work on snails, but if it keeps a fair number of slugs away, it’s better than nothing I suppose. I think it’s more effective than other methods.

• jac-b 17th October 2021 at 11:18 am

I read an article that said slugs in the UK were becoming extinct.
      I felt like phoning someone and saying no I’ve found them all if someone would like to come and collect.

• Esse 17th October 2021 at 1:01 pm

Let me know if you get someone to take them I can provide quite a few!!!

Add