Home Forums General Single camping holidays

Smileyday Posted 4 months ago
Single camping holidays

With the thought of holidays on the horizon I was wondering if you have ever been or plan to go camping alone ? Any problems , suggestions , ideas , did it feel safe ?

12 replies
    • Moondaisy 15th January 2022 at 7:28 am

I did last summer. This was at Whitesands in Pembrokeshire. I felt safe, lots of other campers around. A room with a view. 😁

• Smileyday 16th January 2022 at 10:09 pm

Wow, that looks amazing , what a view to wake up to. Would that be wild camping ?

• Moondaisy 16th January 2022 at 10:20 pm

No, apparently wild camping is illegal in Wales and England…. it was just a small camp site I found….. It was only a couple of pounds per night….

• Smileyday 16th January 2022 at 10:30 pm

Oh I didn’t realise that, I couldn’t do that anyway, like my mod cons too much. It just looks so ideal and away from the crowds. I would have to try somewhere local I think and could come home if it wasn’t successful. Small sites would be the best option, I’m giving it some serious thought. Thanks

• Chojo 15th January 2022 at 7:47 am

I’ve been camping alone many times and the only issue I’ve had is that certain sites won’t let me on as they class me as an all male group and therefore I’m going to cause trouble!
      Campers are generally a friendly bunch and I always ended up being invited to join others for a drink and a chat.

• Smileyday 16th January 2022 at 10:17 pm

Thanks for your reply, so would that mean 1 female on there own would be classed as all female group too? That’s ridiculous. I have been camping previously and love it, love waking up to a sunrise and sleeping under the stars. The fresh air, nature and the simplicity of it all but have always done it as a couple. Not sure I’m brave enough to go it alone and it’s quite a big expense if I can’t manage to even get the tent up alone 🤔

• Moondaisy 16th January 2022 at 10:29 pm

Smiley, my two man tent was a popup from Argos… cheap as chips and so easy to put up and take down. I put all fairy lights up inside it too. Don’t be afraid to do things alone, sometimes being alone is the best!

• Smileyday 16th January 2022 at 10:36 pm

Only ever camped in a big tent that you can stand up in, not sure about a small 2 man tent as I take everything but the kitchen sink 😂 yes I like to decorate with fairy lights, bunting etc, even took a slow cooker for a nice hot meal to return to.
          I did borrow a pop up tent once off a friend , great putting it up …it was the trying to get it down that was the problem, laying on it, sitting on it, crying with laughter at just the sight of it, must have been about an hour trying to get it back in the bag, didn’t realise you have to twist and turn to do it LOL . It was fun that’s for sure, again I wasn’t alone then and would feel really stupid trying to do that on my own

• Blauro 17th January 2022 at 6:04 pm

You can get inflatable tents that have ‘beams’ that are pumped up. Once it’s fully inflated, all the fabric of the tent is ready to be pegged out. They have a built in ground sheet and you can even attach an entrance/porch to give that extra room.
          So once it’s up, you’re good to move in all you need, including the kitchen sink. 😂

• Rockrose 17th January 2022 at 7:24 am

I did some years ago just for a weekend. It was on a campsite in the countryside early spring. No-one bothered me and a friend rang to check l was ok. The one thing l remember was the lovely view early in the morning and the silence. I had some nice walks in the surrounding area. The only problem was my sleeping bag was not warm enough

• Smileyday 17th January 2022 at 8:12 am

Thank you, that’s exactly what I love about camping, the views , the peace and quiet and being able to go and find new footpaths to tread. I must remember plenty of bedding to keep warm 😊

Add