Home Forums Science & Nature Signs of Spring on the way

Woodcrafter-Keith Posted 5 months ago
Signs of Spring on the way

We’ve not had much of Winter here is Somerset apart from a few hard frosts but we’re now getting the first early signs of spring round here, saw snowdrops in flower last week, daffodils in bud are suddenly shooting up everywhere in the past week and the last few days I’ve even seen a couple of hawthorn trees in leaf and a tree in blossom

The mornings are also rapidly getting lighter when I go to work it was fully dark a week ago now its almost light when I leave

4 likes & 13 replies
    • Robert K 9th February 2022 at 5:15 pm

Erm…… Keith you do realise your message is the trigger for the coming of the second ice age in a few weeks. We will know who to blame.

• Mo001 9th February 2022 at 7:00 pm

I think we’ll all blame you Robert, as Keith has painted a beautiful picture 😉😂😂

• Woodcrafter-Keith 9th February 2022 at 7:50 pm

North Is getting a new ice age this week lol , but we’re not apart from a few frosty days think we’re escaping anything too wintery here

But then if you believe the tabloids a new ice age has been coming every week for the last 3 months I’m still waiting for a flake of snow let alone a artic blizzard

• Renoir64 11th February 2022 at 9:12 am

The Express runs a story about its going to be a bad winter, every October, just in case. I look upon it as the true onset of Autumn.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 11th February 2022 at 10:42 am

Yes the papers often use wix for their forecasts who couldn’t predict rain when it’s falling in them

Somerset live is the same , charts show when snow will fall in the west ….which you can usually take as a dusting on Bodmin lol

• Tambos57 9th February 2022 at 7:26 pm

Can’t wait, hate dark nights.

Long to be sat outside again

• Woodcrafter-Keith 9th February 2022 at 7:45 pm

Me too Tambos I’m not a fan of really hot summer days me and heat don’t get on but sat out on a nice summers evening with a cold drink , I’m there

Think I can tolerate most of what the delightful British weather throws at us apart from extreme heat and rain

Love those crisp frosty mornings but the best is when you get a warm spring day and the birds are singing, the bees are just out looking for their first nectar and new life is forming everywhere you go

• Tambos57 9th February 2022 at 7:51 pm

Definitely, although I enjoy the sun but not excessive heat.

Winter can drain the best of us. Having Spring and sights and sounds uplifting for the soul 👍

• lindsay 11th February 2022 at 8:47 am

I think we have only seen two frosts in Cornwall and then not deep ones. Snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils out but that isn’t particularly early. Not seen any frogspawn yet. Very light this morning from soon after 7. Lovely clear skies.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 11th February 2022 at 10:47 am

We’ve had more hard frosts than you in North Somerset quite a few actually compared to last year when we only had a couple all winter
        I’ve had to scrape my car windscreen 4 or 5 times in recent weeks and there’s been a good few frosty mornings where I’ve not had to scrape the car

Earliest start I’ve seen was about 4 or 5 years ago I was going to my parents in Dorset for Christmas and there was a whole patch of daffodils in flower on Christmas eve pretty near to the top of the mendips

• Deleted User 11th February 2022 at 1:30 pm

The first of my Lungworts are flowering, (blue & pink, known as Joseph and Mary) ready for any early bees.

• Renoir64 13th February 2022 at 9:20 am

I read that spring spreads from the south of Britain to the north at the pace of a man walking.

Add